MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Yes, another Hz/Oct to 1v/Oct Conversion Question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Yes, another Hz/Oct to 1v/Oct Conversion Question
mayyammay
Hi All -

I bought my first vintage synth and it uses Hz/Oct rather than 1v/Oct. I'd like to be able to sequence the synth using newish equipment (midi converter or euro).

I have done a bunch of reading and I am now more confused than ever. I have read that ES Disting, Kenton Pro Solo mkII, or the Doepfer MCV4 might make this possible.

Can you explain what exactly I need in order to make sequencing possible? Pretend like I'm dumb. Thanks for your help.
estin
Harvestman English Tear in euro, or Korg sq-1 sequencer. Otherwise Elektron analog four does it as well.
JayEm
beatstep pro does hz/volt and strig.
Blairio
The Kenton Pro solo mk2 does a whole lot more as well. It has a built in lfo that will apply modulation to the pitch from modulation wheel inputs (even if you don't have a dedicated lfo for this on your synth), and additional cv outputs that can be mapped to velocity, and then patched into your synth's filter and vca. It also has a clock output that can alter the PPQN to trigger older sequencers.

I use one with my Korg MS10, and it transforms the synth when played from a decent midi controller keyboard.
DiscoDevil
Depending on the synth, Hz/V performance is poor. I had no luck with the BSP and several other products. Go for the Kenton. It works perfectly, no tracking issues.
mayyammay
Thanks for the replies!

The Kenton Pro mk2 seems like a good way to go, but I am also intrigued by the Analog 4 and English Tear for their apparent ease of use. Anyone have experience with the Analog 4 or English Tear they'd like to share? Also, does the ET work with all Hz/V synths or just the MS-20?

Is the Kenton Pro (Solo) mk2 easy to use and understand? I took a look at the manual and it looks complex.
DiscoDevil
I think the MS20 works with most/all of them. I had issues with a Yamaha CS15 and a Korg 770. The only reliable solution was the Kenton. I have the Pro 2000 and it's easy to use, IMO.
mayyammay
DiscoDevil wrote:
I think the MS20 works with most/all of them. I had issues with a Yamaha CS15 and a Korg 770. The only reliable solution was the Kenton. I have the Pro 2000 and it's easy to use, IMO.

Did you ever think about having a Kenton Midi retrofit installed? It seems like a good solution, but also seems quite blasphemous and more expensive.

Thanks!
DiscoDevil
There isn't a midi interface for the 770 that I know of. I had to have the CV/Gate installed on it to even be able to play it remotely. I have enough CV stuff that having a good convertor makes sense.
Blairio
mayyammay wrote:
Thanks for the replies!

The Kenton Pro mk2 seems like a good way to go, but I am also intrigued by the Analog 4 and English Tear for their apparent ease of use. Anyone have experience with the Analog 4 or English Tear they'd like to share? Also, does the ET work with all Hz/V synths or just the MS-20?

Is the Kenton Pro (Solo) mk2 easy to use and understand? I took a look at the manual and it looks complex.

The Kenton Pro (solo) mk 2 has a fairly basic interface - select parameter, then select value - but you will quickly get your head around it. The parameters and their numeric equivalent are printed on the front panel. There are not many pieces of kit that become invisible in my studio, but the Kenton is one. You set it up the way you want, and it just works.... It is also built to last.
mayyammay
Thanks for your help Blairio and DiscoDevil.
DiscoDevil
Guinness ftw!
scottrod
I've been using the Encore Expressionist in frequency to voltage mode with a couple of CS-40M's converting the two synths into a single 4-voice polyphonic synth via midi. It seems to work well and has lots of routing and modulation possibilities.

For instance, I have it setup such that if I invoke aftertouch, the unit routes it's internal, per-channel LFO's to each oscillator with a different modulation frequency for each oscillator, that is, four modulation speeds at once. It's a beastly sound.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1