MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

feasibility of adapting microbrute filter to eurorack?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author feasibility of adapting microbrute filter to eurorack?
the microbrute is a fine instrument, but ive been thinking of ditching it to help complete my rack (lol, "complete). i love the filter though. like, its worth keeping it around just for the filter. its unfortunately a very large housing for a filter however. are there any faithful recreations of the steiner parker for euro? and what exactly does the brute knob do anyway? is it just a distortion circuit or is it more of a wave folder type of thing? any stand alone modules comparable?
Navs
Were these synths not designed by Yusynth?

You could check his site for ideas:

http://yusynth.net/Modular/index_en.html
http://yusynth.net/Modular/EN/STEINERVCF/index-v2.html

Other Steiners: Livewire, CGS/Elby.

Don't know the Microbrute, but I think the distortion is a folder.
lasesentaysiete
Timo has a Steiner Parker filter for euro. Its nice.
DonKartofflo
Brute factor is the hardwired version of the old minimoog trick of patching the headphone output into the ext. Input. Positive feedback loop thats gated by the vca.
Livewires frequensteiner is a steiner parker clone but sounds quite a bit different to the minibrute imo.
starthief
Check out the Doepfer A-102.

You have to patch feedback yourself to imitate the Brute Factor knob, and the level drops off as you increase resonance -- but there's a knob to compensate for that, which also allows for overdriving it.

I was able to make it sound almost exactly like the Microbrute filter, with a few more tricks besides. Except that it's lowpass only.

It doesn't have the hum issues I keep hearing about that the Frequensteiner does.

I got the A-102 thinking I might replace my Microbrute with a Reface CS, but honestly, I think I'm going to find another way to make space. The filter might be the best part of the Microbrute, but there's still a sort of syngergy to it and I expect I'd miss it if it was gone.
BugBrand
If it is anything like the Minibrute, Yves gives full details/schematics here: http://hackabrute.yusynth.net/index_en.php
Navs
DonKartofflo wrote:
Brute factor is the hardwired version of the old minimoog trick of patching the headphone output into the ext. Input. ...

Ah, didn't read the question properly - thought it was about the Metalizer.
Thanks guys. I am still torn on selling the microbrute. The synth voicing itself has some nice qualities, especially for the cost. I'd really miss the filter though. Lots to ponder.
Ish
Why sell it? It's an extra envelope, filter, oscillator, clock syncable LFO and filter for your rack -- and best of all, 0hp impact on your rig.
desk space, and i can use the cash for other modules. i try to keep a fairly minimal setup. if something doesn't get used, it goes. right now i am basically just using the filter through the ext. in (and the eg as well, but mostly just because it is there. i have enough envelopes in the rack).

if i kept everything i have had, i wouldn't even have a modular to speak of at this point. smile
gentle_attack
61050 wrote:
desk space, and i can use the cash for other modules

first part may be true, but realistically speaking, you're not gonna get a whole lot of cash for the MB. It interfaces decently with modular... I'd vote keep it.
insoul8
I think there is more value in keeping it vs selling as others have said. It plays very nice with eurorack and you probably wouldn’t get much more than $150 for it. One has been on my local Craigslist for months listed at $200. You’d probably spend more than that on one filter module.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1