MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How do you use noise in your patches?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author How do you use noise in your patches?
morgve
Not sure if this is the most relevant part of the forum but I'd be pretty interested in knowing how you guys use noise in your patches.

Would be great to share some patch ideas here, related to specific modules or not. All that matters: it has to involve noise.

There might already be a similar topic somewhere I assume, but that's ok - search is down as you know smile.

Cheers!
orangehexagon
obvious answer is using noise as a sample source for a sample and hold patch.

another simple thing i love to do with noise is use it to FM a filter cutoff very subtly.
glassofwater
Mix it in with your basslines, make snares. ETC! Guinness ftw!
richc90
Apart from using it to excite Rings, I mainly use noise as a modulation source, especially on filters but also as an FM input on an oscillator or to achieve a tapey warble on the Echophon (nosie>pitch) or one of the Genes (noise>varispeed). Oftentimes if I have one of the outputs of the Quantum Rainbow mk2 left unpatched, I'll just patch it to some random unmodulated parameter to see what happens.
starthief
For me the answer is "not enough" beyond exciting Rings. There are plenty of opportunities to use it for modulation and I rarely do. It's on my list of things I should try more.

Every once in a while I'll let noise into an audio track... and often that's in software. I wrote a clocked noise VST with several algorithms that gets occasional use.

It's much more likely that I'll use some process, device, or sample that happens to be noisy, or which creates a complex semi-pitched signal that's not really noise per se.
nso_music
mixing a little filtered noise into a patch is great for adding a layer of ambience
JakoGreyshire
I like to make big fade in of swooshing noise as I fade out a Jam. Then maybe modulate the noise or mess with it until I eventually start throwing a tight envelope at it to make a high hat or snare sound that will take me to the next jam... An Interlude as such....

Doing this is good to give the crowd a little rest if they are getting tired of dancing.

Edit: It got me thinking.... So, a few hours later.... I was able to make a whole drum beat out of the Disting mk 4 Noise Algo #H7 and Pamela's new workout! Pretty cool! However the Bass drum was not super good but it worked.... I guess I should video record it........meh..
FrogStar
Add a mixer, a fast delay and a filter and noise becomes the basis for Karplus Strong synthesis.
https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Karplus-strong-schematic.svg
Dcramer
A quick variation on the noise to FM patch:
Patch your noise up as a basic synth voice with filter and vca, controlled by envelope. Then use this to FM Oscs or filters, little cliff attacks or slow fade ins and sweeeps of coloured noise can add lots to a basic patch. w00t

Welcome to Muff's Jako! This is fun!
theotop
A typical white noise sounds great if you HPFilter it first (with some Resonance), then you mix it with any typical lead or bass sound, and LPF it together.

Otherwise, it also sounds incredibly great on a drumbus. If you try to compress you full drum sequence, you can easily try to sidechain your noise source so that noise appears shortly after the attack of some drum parts.
(A small distorted noise following a drum kick sounds Very dirty and loud.)
morgve
Cool! Some great ideas already.

@JakoGreyshire Indeed you should, I'd be curious to hear that smile.
hdd
I do this two pretty often
i patch some noise in my three sisters hpf input.
i patch some low spectrum frequency noise on cut off frequency.
starthief
Noise FM is kind of neat, I'll have to use it more.

Hertz Donut sine, with just a little bit of orange mode discontinuity so it's got some whiney digital noise -- then bring a little white noise into the FM jack. It kind of dithers and diffuses the whine and gives it an interesting textture.

Bandpassed noise is also a good FM source.

Or, turn down the discontinuity but use lowpassed white noise (or clocked or crackle noise, as on the E352) into the discontinuity CV.

Or use noise to modulate the FM index.

I'm also finding that noise into one of the CVs on Make Noise Dynamix can add some interest.
sake
Normally i layer it over every kind of sounds.
danfastlikeflan
Noise through a filter into some logic can create a random burst generator. If you alter the cutoff and resonance you get different bursts.
JakoGreyshire
Okay I posted the video to youtube:

Noisy Beats with the Disting's noise algorithm #H7 Rockin' Banana!

Thanks for the welcome Dcramer! Still figuring out how to properly use MF!
thumbs up
JakoGreyshire
danfastlikeflan wrote:
Noise through a filter into some logic can create a random burst generator. If you alter the cutoff and resonance you get different bursts.

That is a REALLY good idea/ technique! mmmm...Random Bursts... hmmm.....

Have to try it later.....

Big welcome to theotop too!
I tried with the SSF Ultra Random, to send noise to the clock FM input and the sync my LFOs with the Ultra Random Clock, you can get some quite unexpected results in time.

Yaeh, and also, filtered noise and noise as an FM source.
morgve
Nice tips!

@JakoGreyshire Pretty neat!

I experimented a bit with noise FM, damn cool! I get this drifting mess with my Flux.
operator808
For noise these days I use the noise oscillator output on the Make Noise Telharmonic which can be shaped just like the other two outputs. Earlier I'd use it just to create a sound or two (hi-hats and stuff) but nowadays I even do long envelopes of it after tweaking its tonal characteristics and adding reverb through a Pico DSP. It adds a whole other kind of energy to my ambient and drone patches.
soggybag
nso_music wrote:
mixing a little filtered noise into a patch is great for adding a layer of ambience

This adds great texture and ambience.

But, isn't this what everyone else is trying to avoid or expunge from their recordings and musical equipment!
slumberjack
if mix noise to your drum sound you can imitate the cymbals metall pieces resonating. or the noise when the drumstick hits the ring.

or fatten a classic subtractive patch up a bit.

and if you do karplus strong and leave the classic patching (like not using a bbd, using serval filters, more then one delay, repeating the circuit...) then you will get access to a hidden cave with a proper beast housing there.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1