MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Let's talk output/headphone out modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Let's talk output/headphone out modules
uebl
Dear beloved Muff Wigglers,

I'd like to add an output/headphone module to my rack. Its main purpose would be to free me from the need to connect my rack to my outboard mixer and/or audio interface to listen to what I do. But of course I wouldn't mind using it additionally to connect it to both of them.

I'd like it to

* be 6hp or less,
    * not draw >60mA on 12V, and
    * have a dedicated headphone out.

From googling "muffwiggler output module" (the forum's search seems to be non-working right now), I know the WMD Pro Output is particularly popular around here. I also came across the NE Xerest Pola which I also like very much, as it would free up my Happy Nerding 3xMIA from some of its mixing duties. Has anybody of you any experience with either or both of them? Is there any other module I'm not aware of that fits the bill? I know there's also Happy Nerding Out, but a) it draws to much current and b) I don't like its design too much.

Many thanks! thumbs up

PS:
I don't actually care too much about real stereo, as my rack itself (so far) really is just mono.
js213
I use a Pittsburgh Outs mkII and it's always done the job well. Mono or stereo in, headphone and 2x 1/4" stereo outs. Both the 1/4" headphone and 2x1/4" stereo outputs have separate volume levels.

+/- 20 mA, 6hp

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/pittsburgh-modular-outs-mk-ii
BananaPlug
No complaints with the Erica Pico OUTPUT at 3hp. I just use it to spot check things in the patch. My main mix goes out separately. 20ma.
jhsa
I've ordered and waiting for Erica Pico Output (any day now). 3hp, headphone out, left input normaled to right.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-pico-out

Edit: Ninjaed, good to hear about no complaints.
blitit
NLC MIXER is a good option and super cheap if you DIY
Hissstories
I had a MN Rosie for a couple weeks, but returned it because both the headphone and stereo outs had shorts in them. Great design, but the loud crackling noises weren't what I was looking for in an output module. hmmm.....
mskala
I like the Doepfer one. It has a "dedicated headphone output" but only that - so it wouldn't qualify if you wanted to also have some other kind of output too. My own thinking, though, is that for output to other things I don't need a module, so only having the headphone output isn't a limitation.
Industryone
I have the WMD pro output. If there was ever such a thing as standards in Eurorack this would be the industry standard.
igowen
I'm a big fan of bastl ciao -- meets all of your requirements, plus it has balanced outputs. only issue i've had with it is that the headphone out doesn't work with headphones that have a TRRS plug
skeller047
Industryone wrote:
I have the WMD pro output. If there was ever such a thing as standards in Eurorack this would be the industry standard.

+1

Also, the 1/4" outs are balanced, if that matters to you. I also have the Intellijel uJack, it works OK. I prefer the WMD...
robvec
I recently picked up the Ladik headphone amp a310 for when my rack is not in the studio. 4hp, low power consumption and dedicated headphone out. Also cheap as chips. Very happy with it.
uebl
Wow, as always we're spoiled for choice. Thank you all for yoze suggestions!
noisejockey
Next best thing to a WMD Pro Output (which I love) is the Vermona TwinOUT. Now, it is 8hp, but like the Pro Output it's balanced, and on XLR (!!!) jacks. Beefy and just what I want in the studio, built like a tank, siwtchable mono/stereo. That said, the Pro Output is 2hp less and has a dedicated volume knob for the headphones, separate from the output. But the TwinOUT is great for live: balanced XLR feeds right into the house PA or mixer without a DI box.
Tumulishroomaroom
Also worth mentioning if you have a 1u Intellijel row, the Intellijel headphone tile does the job well and you can't beat the price.
Tonescape
Check the Happy Nerding Out, very nice output module. Even sounds nice when overdriven a little.
dirtbudda
Have had the MN rosie for about a year no worries. I also have the blue lantern one that works flawlessly. Dead Banana
uebl
Tonescape wrote:
Check the Happy Nerding Out, very nice output module. Even sounds nice when overdriven a little.

Yes, but with 120mA on 12V it's way above what I originally requested meh
andrewhuang
Intellijel uJack! 6hp, 17mA, both headphone and line out.
joem
Seconding the Pittsburgh Outs mkII. I've been using one for a few years and it's been fine, and meets your desired specs. That said I've been eying a Rosie since I'd like the crossfading/cueing for performances.
insoul8
I have a Pittsburgh Lifeforms Outs which has been fine.
taylor12k
Unify over here... but it's bigger than 6hp

still surprised no one has made the ultimate in/out module..

- outputs (a few channels, ala Unify)
- external inputs
- headphones
- pedal/ext send/returns

many modules have 2 of those, but i can't think of any that actually have 3, let alone all of those features

sorry for the rant/hijack
danfastlikeflan
There is also synthrotek mst stereo out that can also do panning and has four ins.
uebl
As I plan to stick to 6U of 104HP, I'm still very much intrigued by NE's Xerest Pola. With it's on/off switches per channel it's even interesting from a live performance/jamming point of view.
Parnelli
Been using the Pittsburgh Outs for nearly a year now with no problems.
scrunday
I’m using the Intellijel 1u headphone out, and am completely satisfied with it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2