MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

104hp Sequencer Recommendations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 104hp Sequencer Recommendations
Auto Da Fe
Just downsizing my system from 6u to 3u 104hp. Currently mannequin module focused, with the Octocontroller doing clocking/lfo/sequence duties. Going to move to PNW soonish and looking for a sequencer to partner with it.

I've worked with a Rene and Turing Machine, sequential switches, and logic to vary the clock inputs to Rene and add randomization and instability.

I thoroughly value unpredictability/randomization, knobs, ability to influence behavior thought cv. I don't love the idea of button/key programming, but not necessarily a deal breaker, either. One channel is fine, but two is certainly welcome.

Bastl Popcorn looks really interesting. I don't have any experience with Bastl, but the demos make it look very playable.

Copper Traces seek is also appealing, but I'm a little concerned about the immediateness of playing it.

Any one have thoughts on these sequencers or are they any that I'm missing that are worth giving a hard look at.

Thanks!
tuj
Well, if you are looking for compact and powerful, consider the SEQ-02 (btw I have one for sale). You get 12 tracks which can be 12 triggers or 6 CV and 6 triggers. Steps are 16 with an A and B variations that can be linked to play back-to-back for 32 steps. No menus or anything, programming is fairly straight-forward. But there is no element of chance. Does have a built-in 12-tone quantitizer.

The varigate4 has probability as a parameter of the steps, but it only has 8 steps however it does have 4 channels. No quantization.

The Knit Rider is another compact and good sequencer but it's very much a programed sequencer.

For using random in my work, my favorite trigger sequencer has to be Trigger Riot, which has probability as a parameter. Trigger Riot can create some very cool rhythms very quickly, but it's also a little bit of a mindfuck for some people to figure out.

Lastly is the dual sequencer by Kilpatrick, which is again very much a programming sequencer. Does have menus which i don't like, but can do in-scale quantization including random per step in the scale. Very nice.
Hovercraft
If you want something musical—Arpitecht is super playable and all the parameters are CV controllable. You can do arps, but you can also use it as a quantizer—feeding it with any type of cv source.
peripatitis
Teletype would fit the bill, minus the knobs that is..
R.U.Nuts
Auto Da Fe wrote:

I've worked with a Rene and Turing Machine, sequential switches, and logic to vary the clock inputs to Rene and add randomization and instability.

I thoroughly value unpredictability/randomization, knobs, ability to influence behavior thought cv. I don't love the idea of button/key programming, but not necessarily a deal breaker, either. One channel is fine, but two is certainly welcome.

!

Well, why not stick with René and TM? Seems like a perfect fit for your requirements.
Armstrb
Copper Traces Seek is a great and compact module. It's random functionality is fantastic and you can efectively create the sequence as playing which is a neat feature. Only stores 12 sequences and is a single track,but this is more than say Rene.

It's really worth taking a look at.

Ps. I have lots of sequencers including ER101/2, Rene, Z8000, Erica Seq, Turing Machine, M32, Tuesday, Brains/PP
nectarios
O+C
Tumulishroomaroom
Very compact (6hp), interesting take on random and fun to play (switch and knob) : Mimetic Sequent

Very compact (6hp), fun and highly playable : Tirana II (you can get as many as four and chain them together if ever you want/need more steps)

Both are excellent either for pitch or modulation.

I do agree that the Copper Trace looks very powerful too, but I've never played with one.
Auto Da Fe
tuj wrote:
Well, if you are looking for compact and powerful, consider the SEQ-02 (btw I have one for sale). You get 12 tracks which can be 12 triggers or 6 CV and 6 triggers. Steps are 16 with an A and B variations that can be linked to play back-to-back for 32 steps. No menus or anything, programming is fairly straight-forward. But there is no element of chance. Does have a built-in 12-tone quantitizer.

The varigate4 has probability as a parameter of the steps, but it only has 8 steps however it does have 4 channels. No quantization.

The Knit Rider is another compact and good sequencer but it's very much a programed sequencer.

For using random in my work, my favorite trigger sequencer has to be Trigger Riot, which has probability as a parameter. Trigger Riot can create some very cool rhythms very quickly, but it's also a little bit of a mindfuck for some people to figure out.

Lastly is the dual sequencer by Kilpatrick, which is again very much a programming sequencer. Does have menus which i don't like, but can do in-scale quantization including random per step in the scale. Very nice.

I think the 6 cv and 6 triggers is overkill for my 104hp rack, but looks very interesting and intuitive. Lack of randomization is a problem.

I'll give your other suggestions a look later today. Thank you for your help.
Auto Da Fe
Hovercraft wrote:
If you want something musical—Arpitecht is super playable and all the parameters are CV controllable. You can do arps, but you can also use it as a quantizer—feeding it with any type of cv source.

I was curious about the arpitecht when it was first released...hmmm. I like the idea of feeding it mixed lfos to grab quantized notes as a sequencer.

All those patch points, too. love
Auto Da Fe
peripatitis wrote:
Teletype would fit the bill, minus the knobs that is..

I've never played with one, but the premise is very interesting, although my brain doesn't excel at the kind of coding required to operate the teletype to its fullest. (Based on my non-complete understanding of how the module works.)
dooj88
doboz prizma is what i've been using since i started. 6hp, beautiful rainbow leds, 2 channels of gates and CV, % of note randomization, built in quantization, randomize pattern.. it'a great if you want to grab a quick melody line, but programming a specific idea is tedious. i'm looking at something more simple for a ease of control, and the emw seq 101 is where i'm leaning, though i'll keep an eye on this for other suggestions.
bgcriswell
I think the copper traces seek is what you want. I have a ton of sequencers (rene, seq 01, sh mk2, eloquencer, octone, etc.) and the seek is by far my favorite. It is very easy and immediate and the random algorithms are excellent. The way you can set it to randomly evolve based on probability and the amount of control you have over that evolution is incredible. 64 step, scale quantization, transpose, randomly seed a sequence, the list of features goes on. There is a slight learning curve with the interface but much easier than most of the others out there for how complex it is. It is only one track but for something that you can just switch on, quickly setup a sequence, and then listen to for hours, it can't be beat. I actually have it in a little erica pico case so I can use it will all my systems and desktop synths. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with the seek.
Auto Da Fe
dooj88 wrote:
doboz prizma is what i've been using since i started. 6hp, beautiful rainbow leds, 2 channels of gates and CV, % of note randomization, built in quantization, randomize pattern.. it'a great if you want to grab a quick melody line, but programming a specific idea is tedious. i'm looking at something more simple for a ease of control, and the emw seq 101 is where i'm leaning, though i'll keep an eye on this for other suggestions.

Just watched the demo on youtube of the prizma+. Looks really cool, and I think I can even grok the workflow with it, but I need to be able to cv it to really enjoy myself -- not sure if I would really get along with it.

EMW looks dope.
Auto Da Fe
bgcriswell wrote:
I think the copper traces seek is what you want. I have a ton of sequencers (rene, seq 01, sh mk2, eloquencer, octone, etc.) and the seek is by far my favorite. It is very easy and immediate and the random algorithms are excellent. The way you can set it to randomly evolve based on probability and the amount of control you have over that evolution is incredible. 64 step, scale quantization, transpose, randomly seed a sequence, the list of features goes on. There is a slight learning curve with the interface but much easier than most of the others out there for how complex it is. It is only one track but for something that you can just switch on, quickly setup a sequence, and then listen to for hours, it can't be beat. I actually have it in a little erica pico case so I can use it will all my systems and desktop synths. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with the seek.

This is a pretty strong endorsement. Definitely leaning towards SEEK based on what I've seen here and demo-wise.

Does anyone want to step up for Bastl Popcorn? I feel like it has a lot of the things that I really enjoyed about Rene built in at a super reasonable hp. Are the expanders a must have?

I think Copper Traces and Bastl are both at MiM this weekend. Hopefully I can play with both first hand.
hinterlands303
Another vote for the Seek. I got it to replace Rene which was taking up too much real estate. It just arrived today but so far I love it. Lots of interesting ways to use the reset input, all of which you can save to each individual sequence. Great stuff. The slip feature is really nice too. A big thumbs up to Copper Traces for this one.
amop
Auto Da Fe wrote:
bgcriswell wrote:

This is a pretty strong endorsement. Definitely leaning towards SEEK based on what I've seen here and demo-wise.

Does anyone want to step up for Bastl Popcorn? I feel like it has a lot of the things that I really enjoyed about Rene built in at a super reasonable hp. Are the expanders a must have?

I think Copper Traces and Bastl are both at MiM this weekend. Hopefully I can play with both first hand.

You need Popcorn if you’re going to sequence melody, since Knit Rider is only a trigger/gate sequencer. I have Knit Rider with expander and quite like it -find it handy in a pinch for odd rhythm and clocking duties , but have since move on to a combo of things - Circadian Rhythms, Rene, BeatStep Pro, and Eloquencer. I had Popcorn with expanders and sold it. It only handles 8 steps and getting it to 16 seemed expensive.
dooj88
i'm just learning about voltage block. seems to me this is one of the most versatile and compact sequencers in euro. this might be my next buy for establishing a little (well, a lot) more control over my system. strange that it doesn't seem talked about much on here though.
bgcriswell
The voltage block is awesome. I use it all the time. It doesn't have any gate or trigger outputs though. Because of this, I usually use it for more cv sequences. It can do pitch great, I just prefer being able to tie my pitch to gate sequences all in the same sequencer. Also, the OP was looking for something with random. While the VB can randomize the steps, that's about it. It doesn't have any sort of random algorithms or probability. There also isn't any sort of ratcheting or step repeating. Don't get me wrong though, it is a great sequencer for a lot of other reasons.
bgcriswell
this video features the SEEK off screen. I had the randomness set pretty low but you can hear how new notes are added randomly while retaining the main melody.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSqBut2B4-G/
Auto Da Fe
hinterlands303 wrote:
Another vote for the Seek. I got it to replace Rene which was taking up too much real estate. It just arrived today but so far I love it. Lots of interesting ways to use the reset input, all of which you can save to each individual sequence. Great stuff. The slip feature is really nice too. A big thumbs up to Copper Traces for this one.

I got to see the SEEK in action today. Pretty impressive. I'm really keen on how you can use the reset to input to trigger bits of randomness.

Definitely going to be my new sequencer in my 3u 104hp rack. Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.
Auto Da Fe
bgcriswell wrote:
this video features the SEEK off screen. I had the randomness set pretty low but you can hear how new notes are added randomly while retaining the main melody.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSqBut2B4-G/

^^^This is dope.
dirtbudda
If your not to busy could you tell me if the octocontroller is as difficult to operate as the videos make it out to be? and on a side note I think im going to get the seek aswell this thread helped convince me. So thanks. Guinness ftw!
Auto Da Fe
dirtbudda wrote:
If your not to busy could you tell me if the octocontroller is as difficult to operate as the videos make it out to be? and on a side note I think im going to get the seek aswell this thread helped convince me. So thanks. Guinness ftw!

Octocontroller is a little cumbersome, but I love it. It is the center of many, many patches. The LEDs describe everything that is going on, but when you turn a knob it you have to double check what output/output type, etc. you are changing. I"m sure there is a way to make it behave more intuitively, but for whatever reason I can't make it behave that way. It's really powerful for quadrature style lfos, and it is great having built built in lfos and trigger patterns in the same module. I find myself relying on the arps and loops a lot more than I would care to admit. It is a solid module that takes up a lot of real estate in my small rig. I'm hoping that Pamela's New Workout clicks a little bit more immediately for me.
dirtbudda
Thanks for the info. I've been runnin pam on my BIA gettin crazy i need to let her spread her wings and show her the rest of my rack.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2