MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Shapeshifter + Rene OR roland D-05
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Shapeshifter + Rene OR roland D-05
Oasis_Pyramid
looking for opinions.

I have a roland botique D-05 on order.

But im thinkinging at the moment about getting the Intellijel Shapeshifter, as I currently have a Metropolis and Akemies castle, and i was looking for something to use for more chord based and atmostperic backround stuff, I have a rene which I was going to sell, but now im thinking a shapeshifter and rene combo might be nicer than that roland D-05? and would be a lot more versatile. my only big plus with the roland is it has a polyphonic sequencer and some very cool sounding presets etc. but a second hand shapeshifter and D-05 with keyboard is about the same price.

interested in peoples opinions.
starthief
Those choices are so different, I'm not sure how anyone else could help you decide.

My own nostalgia for the D-50 has dried up, and I didn't much like any of Roland's boutique synths when I tried them. But if I were looking for polyphonic, atmospheric background stuff I wouldn't look to a Shapeshifter to fill that role. (And honestly: every time I look at the Shapeshifter I see that LCD display and have flashbacks to a poorly behaved desktop synth with an awkward UI that I had, and don't want to mess with it -- probably unfair, but that's my bias.)

I use software synths for polyphonic background stuff now, and am looking at probably a Reface CS in the future to take over some of that.
thetaflux
Oasis_Pyramid wrote:
looking for opinions.

I have a roland botique D-05 on order.

But im thinkinging at the moment about getting the Intellijel Shapeshifter, as I currently have a Metropolis and Akemies castle, and i was looking for something to use for more chord based and atmostperic backround stuff, I have a rene which I was going to sell, but now im thinking a shapeshifter and rene combo might be nicer than that roland D-05? and would be a lot more versatile. my only big plus with the roland is it has a polyphonic sequencer and some very cool sounding presets etc. but a second hand shapeshifter and D-05 with keyboard is about the same price.

interested in peoples opinions.

I'm curious as to why you don't find the AK adequate for chords? I'm getting one soon and I'm interested in people's experiences.

The shapeshifter isn't going to be much better than the AK for chords I don't think, while you do have 8 oscillators instead of 5, the voicing of the chords is still limited to some presets and to change between them you have to use CV, much like the AK. If you want fine tuned control over your chord voicing, your best bet is to get a proper hardware polysynth, or waste a bunch of money on 8-12 copies of the same oscillator and a hell of a lot of quad EGs and VCAs.
sduck
Let's see, they both run on electricity and make sounds. Otherwise, the similarities are... almost none. So my advice would be to get either, both or neither.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1