µTune MIDI Question

Support and discussion of Tubbutec products.

Moderators: Kent, tubbutec

alexspanner
Learning to Wiggle

µTune MIDI Question

Post by alexspanner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:52 am

Just received my µTune today and all plugged in.....

Created my first scale which was surprisingly easy. Everything is very logical and simple to use. :yay:

Having said that I am having a problem triggering notes directly from a MIDI keyboard. Only some notes are recognised, and this is even when I am playing extremely slowly. Even playing the same note repeatedly results in intermittent response.

Is there maybe a menu option I am missing? Or is it something to do with the keyboard sending too much data?

Any help appreciated thanks...

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 am

HI,

this is probably because the 'assign mode' in the midi config is set to 'Cyclic A' or 'Cyclic B', but you are only using one output.
Set the 'assign mode' to 'dual mono' and it should work fine

alexspanner
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alexspanner » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 am

Ah great.....that sounds extremely likely.

thanks a lot

mafouka
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mafouka » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:51 pm

I have a MIDI question as well!!

If you're using a normal MIDI keyboard (standard 12TET) into the uTune's MIDI in, will the finer microtonal notes that lay inbetween the 12TET steps be skipped when converted? Or does the uTune make up for this by laying the microtuning's notes out in sequential order throughout the keys??

i'd imagine the best way to be able to play all the microtonal notes in a scale would be to use semitones (via CV)?
這一生中有多少人擦肩而過?而朋友是多麼可貴啊

tubbutec
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tubbutec » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:56 pm

mafouka wrote:If you're using a normal MIDI keyboard (standard 12TET) into the uTune's MIDI in, will the finer microtonal notes that lay inbetween the 12TET steps be skipped when converted? Or does the uTune make up for this by laying the microtuning's notes out in sequential order throughout the keys??
So you are describing a Szenario with a scale with more than 12 notes, for example a quarter note scale.

The notes of a scale are mapped in a sequential order, no notes are skipped. You can define a middle note which defines the center of mapping, full support of keyboard mapping as defined in the Scala standard is in development. The latter is mostly interesting for Scales with a note count <12, so probably not relevant to your question.

Return to “Tubbutec”