MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advantages of 2x Trigger Riot?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Advantages of 2x Trigger Riot?
JC14
I'm wondering what the advantages of having two Trigger Riots are?
Is it just the sync'd clocking, start/stop etc, or does it actually deliver a row of 8 parameter knobs instead of 2x4?
Hope I am talking sense here :-)
Parnelli
Don't know; I have one and ordered a Z8000 and Quantizer to go with it. I started looking into the sync cable thing yesterday, and it is a parallel communication bus between the modules, so it apparently saves patch cables as well as rock solid timing between the units.

I do know that one TR can be used as the master to drive other slaves, but how they interact I don't know just yet, but I'd like to find out.
DSC
This is interesting, but only if you discuss what you would do with them. Can't just be all percussion, so triggering LFO's and envelopes, but what else?
kbithecrowing
I just got a Trigger Riot this past week so I certainly don't have the deepest understanding of it yet, but I would imagine a main advantage would be the ability to have two different cycle lengths on each one to create larger rhythmic structures. I also really like using matrix mode and getting patterns I didn't explicitly program coming out on the other axis, so being able to have those happy accidents with more rows of sequencing could be cool.

It would be rad if you could have 8 knobs for a row of sequencing.
Parnelli
I use mine to trigger envelopes and such, keep my sequencers working together, and I used to run my percussion modules with it, but now I use the Pittsburgh Game System for that and clock it with the Trigger Riot. I haven't really even scratched the surface of what it is capable of though, I'm sure of it.

A place for everything and everything in it's place as Bilbo would say, that's what the Trigger riot does for me. I'm looking forward to getting out of work, as I have a new Z8000 being delivered today to go with it; that should keep my busy for a while learning something new.
skylab001
kbithecrowing wrote:

It would be rad if you could have 8 knobs for a row of sequencing.

I've had that thought before when I first started using it, then I realized I like it just as it is. It's very mathematical. It's not your typical step sequencer. You can easily find happy accidents using different step settings and probability along with the 4 static triggers per row. You could definitely find a use for two TR's but wow, I feel like I've done a lot with mine, and yet I've barely scratched the surface. I just wish it could save more presets.
I think the biggest advantage to having two of them is that you would have two of them. nanners
Biom
The ability of selling one, of course
JC14
I set my question to TipTop, and here's their response:

The Clock, Reset and Presets are linked between two units. The Master/Boss unit clock becomes the internal clock of the Slave unit so sync is very tight.

You can stack the outputs of both units on a Trigger/Gate input of a module so you would have 8 dividers controlling the triggering.
Parnelli
Guess it kinda depends on how many things you want to control with it then; it would appear that the advantage to having two of them would be to sync them to essentially have more of the same outputs to control more events on the same beat/timeline.

Where I'm at right now this would probably be a waste, as I think could accomplish about the same thing with mults or stackables, but it looks like where it would really come in handy would be alongside of the Circadian Rhythms, Z8000, and Quantizer, where the bus cables would allow paralell coms between them freeing up patch cords for other purposes; I could see in that scenario where two Trigger Riots could run and control quite a pile of other stuff!

Dang, now I have to get a pile of other stuff so I can get another TR.... very frustrating
Sinamsis
JC14 wrote:

The Clock, Reset and Presets are linked between two units. The Master/Boss unit clock becomes the internal clock of the Slave unit so sync is very tight.

You can stack the outputs of both units on a Trigger/Gate input of a module so you would have 8 dividers controlling the triggering.

That's pretty awesome. The TR is the only TTA module I've bought and kept. It is truly unique.
skylab001
JC14 wrote:

I have always thought you should use an OR combiner for logic gates/triggers.... so I have never tried stacking them. Maybe I'm going to have to try this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1