MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Make Noise RxMx Inquiry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Make Noise RxMx Inquiry
Ish
Just curious, I rarely see this in the wild. Are people happy with them? One trick ponies? Useful additions to your rig for both CV and audio?

The RxMx is one of the modules that convinced me to jump into eurorack, but one that has eluded purchase due to other more pressing needs/concerns. I'm now 18u (104hp) into my 21u system, and feel one should be added soon... but I wanted to see what others are thinking now that the novelty has worn off.

Edit: Can you connect both FXDf and DPO to RxMx simultaneously via backend normalization, or does one need to select one or the other?
eircom
Ish wrote:
Just curious, I rarely see this in the wild. Are people happy with them? One trick ponies? Useful additions to your rig for both CV and audio?

I am very happy with mine (I use it normalled to both FXDF and DPO via the Control File module). Scanning, pinging, mixing. Good sounding long ring vactrols.
The only two things are:
1. On Level fully CCW it still bleeds A LOT. Solved by constant negative voltage offset from Maths ch 2 or 3 or triatt. Neg 1-2 volts into the Level in shut it down completely.
2. I wouldn't call it an LPG at all. Mine is a vactrol VCA. I don't hear any high frequency roll off before it gets VERY quiet.

Still, very useful and sounds great. I don't know if I would prefer it to be more LPGey since it's more of a scanning mixer to me. Though a switch to choose between VCA/VCF/LPG like on a Buchla 292 would be gorgeous.
hawkfuzz
I love it with the DPO. DPO, RXMX, Maths, and Wogglebug is a fun time. Definitely get the most with random sources going into the RXMX and sound source at the same time. Really binds them.
necrobious
Love the RxMx. I use it with FXDF, the SSF QR2, or 3 x STOs.
+1 using random voltages on RxMx. I had a happy accident with the RxMx + QR2 + URA that hit the idea home for me:

https://soundcloud.com/necrobious/ura-qr2-rxmx#t=2:55
nolongerhuman
I loved mine, but it was not working for me as a mixer due to the somewhat random nature of vactrols. It bled pretty badly between channels, and was never very quiet. So, despite enjoying it I ended up moving on.
natureclubcassettes
Ish wrote:

The RxMx is one of the modules that convinced me to jump into eurorack, but one that has eluded purchase due to other more pressing needs/concerns. I'm now 18u (104hp) into my 21u system, and feel one should be added soon... but I wanted to see what others are thinking now that the novelty has worn off.

Edit: Can you connect both FXDf and DPO to RxMx simultaneously via backend normalization, or does one need to select one or the other?

Good question. Definitely one of the less discussed MN modules. Also, you'll need Control File to connect the FXDf and DPO simultaneously
Ish
Thanks for all the responses, everybody. Looking like I might nab one (and a control file + fxdf) tomorrow.

Per the bleeding and related issues, are these units "unique" in their response, like Optomix? I'm not overly familiar with vactrols, though I own a few modules that use them -- I'm under the impression each has a fairly unique response curve, so no two people will likely have similar experiences (with a tiny margin of error, of course). Does this hold true for Rxmx?

nolongerhuman wrote:
I loved mine, but it was not working for me as a mixer due to the somewhat random nature of vactrols. It bled pretty badly between channels, and was never very quiet. So, despite enjoying it I ended up moving on.
hawkfuzz
I've only had one but no bleed.
blaerg
Mine doesn't have any bleed but is quiet overall, I used it paired with FxDx. It has a really unique and organic sound, I've been selling off modules for my second case (reducing to 9U) and never considered letting it go despite its large footprint (some modules will just remain in boxes and the overall collection will change periodically).

As stated, very nice to ping as a VCA, and drones gorgeously (send two different oscillators into the FxDx inputs).

I really need to explore it further in regard to self-feedback and for CV routing.
nolongerhuman
Ish wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, everybody. Looking like I might nab one (and a control file + fxdf) tomorrow.

Per the bleeding and related issues, are these units "unique" in their response, like Optomix? I'm not overly familiar with vactrols, though I own a few modules that use them -- I'm under the impression each has a fairly unique response curve, so no two people will likely have similar experiences (with a tiny margin of error, of course). Does this hold true for Rxmx?

It definitely varies with the vactrols. I'd personally love to find one that didn't have an bleed issues. I had two, one purchase new and one used, both had varying levels of, but noticeable bleed.

Same with Optomix. I have had 3, one bled like crazy, one was dead silent, one was what I would have expected from a vactrol based LPG.

With the Optomix it's a bit more tolerable to me, but I need a pretty quiet mixer more than I need vactrols. There is actually a rxmx thread that talks about a few different users noticing bleeding in theirs, as well as talking about some patching tips.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131988&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=0
blitit
I tested one in Synthesizer.gr at Athens last month. I patched 6 outputs from a Verbos Harmonic oscillator and then scanned them with the radiate controls. It was superb.

Didnt buy it because the Qubit Contour caught my attention and money but i would definitively get one when i have the chance to combo it with a Just Friends.
hermbot
Mine doesn't bleed, I have it with a DPO and fxdf and just ordered a Control File.

I JUST got it, so take this with a grain of salt, but I immediately love it. It plays so nicely with crossfading the Telharmonic's 3 outputs, and obviously sounds great with the DPO and fxdf.

But I thought the same thing as I was researching it - you don't see a lot of chatter about it, and I imagine that there aren't a ton of them out there.
Auto Da Fe
I was a super-satisfied owner of the FxDF RxMx combo pack even though there was bleed when all the channels were closed. It was hard to part with because I clicked with it at a very formative time in my Modular Journey™. Feeding random cv into the channel select, radiate, and irregular gates into strike was a great feeling. Will probably try and get back in to these modules again at a later date.
Manresa
I love my RxMx paired with the FxDF, not so much with the DPO (I always forget it’s normalled). Radiate is a cool feature.

Here’s 2 pieces, variations on a drone running through the FxDF/RxMx combo.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/manresa/uncertainty[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/manresa/twelve-six[/s]
Ish
Thanks, one and all.

I just pulled the trigger on a RxMx, Control File, and FXdF. These should pair nicely with my overall system (Morphagene, 0-Coast and DPO in particular).

As fun as audio can be, I'm especially interested in using it as a distributor for CV / melody.
dysonant
Manresa wrote:
I love my RxMx paired with the FxDF, not so much with the DPO (I always forget it’s normalled). Radiate is a cool feature.

Here’s 2 pieces, variations on a drone running through the FxDF/RxMx combo.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/manresa/uncertainty[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/manresa/twelve-six[/s]

Fucking excellent drones.
12eightyfive
Have had my dpo/rxmx/file/fxdf combo for a few weeks now and am very happy. No bleed that I know of, very pleasant vactrol feeling.
chaosick
Ish wrote:

I also wondered in the past, but I've seen quite a few for sale lately, which is usually not a good sign...a year ago I got a Verbos Scan and Pan and never regretted it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1