MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

uTune CV tracking issue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Author uTune CV tracking issue
tonymasiello
Hi Tubbutec,

I have been playing with my uTune for a couple of days now and I am really enjoying it. I have not used the MIDI yet, but I have been playing quite a bit with the CV. What I have found is that there are certain pitches that each CV channel has trouble mapping. This all seems to happen in the 48-59 note range, below that I have not seen a problem. I have been doing some tests running a 60 note chromatic sequence on my Audio Damage Sequencer 1 from C0 to B4 (that's its full range w/o using transpose). Once it gets to 48, two notes will be mapped to the same value and the third will then jump two steps up to the correct value. Sometime it corrects with a delay which produces a pornamento like effect. The weird thing is that each channel has a similar problem, but they each have bad spots in different places. Is there anything I can do to perhaps calibrate or correct the problem? I did make a video that shows the issue, I can share that if seeing it would be helpful.

Thank you!
tubbutec
Hi Tony,

I would like to know if this is a note detection issue on µTune's input side or some mapping issue on the output.
Could you please when sending these notes look at the µTune main screen and hav a look at the input note number? Does this number skip/double detect? At which note numbers does this happen?
A next step would be to determine if this is a compatibility issue between the Sequencer and the µTune. If you can, connect an non-quantized analogue voltage source to µTune's inputs and see if this is still happening?
Will conduct some experiments as well on Monday. This issue has not been observed by my beta testers or myself so far..
tonymasiello
It seems to me like it is an issue on the input side. Here is a video showing the issue. The same 1v/Oct signal is being sent to both CV1 and CV2. The audio is only the CV1 out.

tubbutec
Thanks a lot, will take a look at this issue on Monday...
tubbutec
Hi Tony,

we analysed this problem yesterday and are now working on a software fix.
tubbutec
Hi,

the CV input tracking is off due to an incorrect part assembled in the production.
Fortunately we were able to create a software fix, that completely fixes this issue.
Please follow the simple instructions here:
https://tubbutec.de/blog/%c2%b5tune-recalibrate-cv-input/
tonymasiello
Thank you for looking into this and coming up with a fix so quickly. I will give the new firmware a spin tomorrow.
tonymasiello
I was not able to get to this until today. I D/L the new firmware and replaced the uTuneFW.ebi file with the new version. I followed the steps and it appeared to successfully load the new firmware and restart. It appeared to boot back up normally, but once I got to the top menu, I had no function. I could turn the knob and press it, click on the back button, the UI remained on the initial menu. I was dead in the water.

I had a backup of my card, so I copied the old uTuneFW.ebi back to the sd card and tried again. Interestingly, it booted up and I could navigate the UI perfectly. I tried updating the firmware to the old version, it restarted and again, everything seemed okay.

I ran through the steps with the new firmware file, and had the same problem as the first try.

Is the firmware update actually updating some on board memory? It seems the existence the new uTuneFW.ebi file, with the new firmware installed has an issue. Is that file needed at startup time? I'm wondering if I did the update and then deleted the file, that everything would then work...

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Thank you!
tonymasiello
I re-installed the new firmware tonight, then powered down, removed the sd card, deleted the EBI file, put the sd card back into uTune, and every thing works like it should.

I then did the calibration, followed by a quick test with a 60 step chromatic run, and musically, everything looked and sounded correct.

Thanks!
tubbutec
Hi Tony,

thanks for letting me know. Sees the 'freezing' sometimes occurs after installing 1.01 before performing the calibration. After calibration this does not seem to happen and the module works fine.

Should it ever freeze again, please let me know

Have fun with the µTune
bandenoire
Firmware upgrade successful on my unit! Thanks for the quick update!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Tubbutec  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group