MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Blacet Klangwerk - Soon to be OOP
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Blacet Klangwerk - Soon to be OOP
eyehue
For those not on the Blacet mailing list:

Klang Werks (assembled) back in stock

Note that quantities of this module are limited and this is the final run due to ICs going out of production.
parasitk
Yeaaahhh I'm thinking about it. Is this a "must have" balanced modulator? I"m kinda on the fence, but I think I want it!
Cybananna
I really love ringmods. I have the Klang Werk, moogerfooger, electro-harmonix, metasonix, CGS real ring mod, and moddemod. Of course some of them are not modular, but good for comparison. Of all of these, I think the Klang is most versatile and can do more than any of them.

I use my moddemod most (because I love the true ring mod sound), but I do still use the Klang when I want that sound and I'm really glad I got it. If you have some DIY skills, the kit is a great deal.

If you have the money, i'd get one while you can.
parasitk
Cybananna wrote:
I really love ringmods. I have the Klang Werk, moogerfooger, electro-harmonix, metasonix, CGS real ring mod, and moddemod. Of course some of them are not modular, but good for comparison. Of all of these, I think the Klang is most versatile and can do more than any of them.

I use my moddemod most (because I love the true ring mod sound), but I do still use the Klang when I want that sound and I'm really glad I got it. If you have some DIY skills, the kit is a great deal.

If you have the money, i'd get one while you can.

Thanks.

Are you saying the Klang doesn't cover the "true ring mod sound"? Or is it that it just requires more setup/tweaking to get to that sound?

I don't think I've ever really heard a straight forward clip of the Klang - anyone up for posting one? or two?
Cybananna
no, it doesn't sound like a true ring mod. I've never tried to make it sound like one though.

I'll post something showing some of the variations. I know pwople use them differently, but it will give an idea of some of it's sounds.
Cybananna
Here's two examples. The first is just the typical klangy ring mod with a Plan B M15 saw wave going into the KW. All I did on this one was adjust the various KW parameters.

http://www.gristleaudio.com/klang.mp3

The next one a M15 sin tuned low to one output. Then it switches to a M15 sin tuned mid-high. Then it switches to a Zorlon cannon noise out. Then back to an M15 sin tuned low but the KW frequency starts high and then is adjusted lower.

A Plan B heisenberg smooth out is going to the KW wave CV and the stepped out is going to the KW frequency CV. The Zorlon Cannon random gate is clocking the hex zone which is sending pitch CV to the osc's and gate to the env which has an LFO CVing the attack and decay. I think that's it d'oh!

http://www.gristleaudio.com/klang2.mp3

Not the world's best demos, but something. If you have something specific you want me to try let me know. I don't feel like these do the KW justice.
parasitk
No these are cool and definitely give me a good idea of the sound, thanks!
scozbor
it's great when you slow the internal osc riiiight down low. you can adjust the trimmer to get it slower. 8)
parasitk
Okay maybe this is my next module - impending deadline FTW.
eyehue
thanks for posting those examples Cybanana, very nice demonstrations.

i think the Klangwerk's strengths lie in its ability to switch between internal and external carrier and CV on the wave. i don't have a real ring mod to compare it to, yet, but plan on doing the cgs mod demod.

for a frac system, i would consider the Klangwerk essential. especially if it's going OOP. if u think it sux, sell it - since it will be rare i bet you won't lose money.
Kwote
if you can spare it get one but i don't consider it priority. i use it more for a VCA then a ringmod or whatever. good for distortion type sounds too.

also keep in mind i sorta take it for granted since i've had it for a year and it's not my favorite module out of all the modules i own.
johnnymad
i've been wanting a kw for a while. i think John has plenty of them left though. i don't think anybody should panic. 8)
Cybananna
eyehue wrote:
thanks for posting those examples Cybanana, very nice demonstrations.

thanks

eyehue wrote:
i think the Klangwerk's strengths lie in its ability to switch between internal and external carrier and CV on the wave.

yea, that makes it nice. It just has so much control. I've even considered getting another before they're gone.

I have a feeling there's plenty more left too, just no more after these are gone.
Kwote
i wouldn't bother with another. while i do like it i'm more interested in the CGS ringmod and patching up my own.
thetwlo
"(Note that quantities of this module are limited and this is the final run due to ICs going out of production.)"

I wonder what IC is going out of production? The AD633 is what most ring mods use (aside from the couple RealRing and mc1496 based ones)

The Blacet, Livewire Dalek, EH Freq Anlayzer, Technosaurus Effexon, Frostwave, +..... are all based on the AD633.
parasitk
Well I think I'm gonna get it. Mankato will have to wait.
e-grad
The KW is build around a AD633 allegedly one of the best balanced mod. chips. Some would say the best.

What sets the KW apart is that you have build in envelope followers on board to mod. the freq. of the internal VCO and for the internal waveshaper which works on both the internal and the external carrier signal. Thus you can toy around with many options in a fly. Great!

However, for true bell sound some think it better to work with an external carrier signal which has a purer sinoid.

Personally, I think you can't go wrong with a KW.
Cat-A-Tonic
It is a very fun and flexible module.
Whenever I introduce people to the modular the Klangwerk is one of the pieces that they are drawn to first.
I find it essential in patching up a realistic snare drum.
Kwote
i've used it for snares and it's cool but i'm finding the stonzphase gives me some pretty cool results for snare sounds too.
zerosum
Quote:
Here's two examples.

applause Rawk! Mr. Green

Thanks so much for posting these man! These are great and really give me an idea of what it can do for me!
johnnymad
i just started building my klang werk today. i had all the pcb components soldered and moved on to the pots. my kit only came with 5 pots instead of 6. very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating now i have to wait until blacet sends me the other. sad
Kwote
johnnymad wrote:
i just started building my klang werk today. i had all the pcb components soldered and moved on to the pots. my kit only came with 5 pots instead of 6. very frustrating very frustrating very frustrating now i have to wait until blacet sends me the other. sad

oh wow. that totally sucks. i think i would've just had blacet sort it before i bothered building. so far i like to just build things in one shot.

when i move on to more time consuming projects i'm sure i'll have to abandon that style though.
johnnymad
i didn't realize it until i got to mounting the pots. blacet e-mailed me right away and said he'd ship it out asap. now i just have to wait. i've only got about an hour or so of work left. i should be ring-modulating in no time.
Kwote
i always do parts check before i build. so far i haven't been missing anything.
Kendall Station
Hey all I'm new!

Much like Cybanana I am a Ring-Mod nut and have about 4 around in some fashion or another. Why I love the KW is the fact that you can modulate so much plus the env-followers add a nice touch.

I would surely get one its more compact than a Mooger Fooger if you want good cv-control of its parameters.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2