MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How do you output your eurorack to your DAW for recording?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author How do you output your eurorack to your DAW for recording?
webhead311
Hey yall, so i am wondering what the best way to record my Eurorack on my DAW would be. Right now im using the Pittsburg InOut module which has a 1/4in output that i connect to my focusrite 2i2. I'd like to improve from this setup.

One module i've been looking at is the Vermona TAI-4 audio interface which has two 3.5mm inputs to two XLR outputs. It also has two XLR inputs to two 3.5mm outputs which i assume would allow me to process some of my non-modular hardware with my eurorack.

Before i decide on this interface i wanted to see if there are other options i could take instead. Maybe i should just get a mixer, or maybe theres an external audio interface that has 3.5mm inputs?

Thanks!
insoul8
Are you just looking for stereo outs instead of a single mono? Multiple stereo outs? What’s not working about your current setup?
webhead311
@insoul8 yeah i actually forgot to mention that yes i do want a system with stereo outs since i have various effect modules with stereo outputs so i feel like using the mono output of the inOut takes away from the full affect.
insoul8
I use the Pittsburgh Outs which has a set of 1/4 stereo outputs and a headphone output. Works great for me so far. I don’t have much need for an input though.
kwaidan
You really do not need an in/out module. Buy a better audio interface, preferably one with at least eight inputs and outputs. ADAT connection is also helpful.
Drilldoughzer
kwaidan wrote:
You really do not need an in/out module. Buy a better audio interface, preferably one with at least eight inputs and outputs. ADAT connection is also helpful.

My thoughts exactly... IMOH output modules are a waste of space and money.

I use a motu traveller for that.

4 inputs with -20db pads and 4 line ins (I atenuate with passive home-made passive attenuaters before hitting those inputs.

Plus, the Traveller has dc coupled in/outs so I can use Reaktor to modulate my rack...
webhead311
@kwaidan id like to get a better audio interface but how would i connect my Eurorack to it since modules use 3.5mm? I know i could use a 3.5mm to 1/4in adapter but i am not a big fan of those.
webhead311
@Drilldoughzer doesn't that interface use 1/4in inputs though? how do you connect your eurorack to it?
Drilldoughzer
webhead311 wrote:
@Drilldoughzer doesn't that interface use 1/4in inputs though? how do you connect your eurorack to it?

Home-made 1/8" to 1/4" cables... But you can find those already made on the net.
leere
i use the nw2 i/o module when i record my modular
(costed a fortune with thoose cables but it's worth it in the end)
Drilldoughzer
webhead311 wrote:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000068O3I/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=15 08011000&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=1%2F8+to+1%2F4+cable+m ono&dpPl=1&dpID=31BwbOIunVL&ref=plSrch
kwaidan
There are cheaper sources for 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch cables than Amazon. In the US, I get them at Control, but you can find even cheaper ones at Markertek:

1/8-1/4 Cable

From the picture, the Markertek cables look just like the ones I bought from Control. For several years, I have used them, and to date, they all of still work.
hermbot
Yeah, I use a 1/8" to 1/4" cable out from the last point of the patch straight into the interface and use the gain knob there as needed. I've had two various output modules over time and sold them. If it's a stereo out, I use two cables.
CF3
leere wrote:

nw2s::io balanced all the way for me. Super clean, no cable mess, no level matching BS, makes integrating external FX a breeze. All i/o run to a patchbay then onto my console and interface. Some of the best money I've spent in modular. Core module.
starthief
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (which is fine with Eurorack levels and has 8 inputs) and the "Universal 1/4" TS to 3.5mm TS adapters" from Control with normal patch cables. thumbs up
webhead311
CF3 wrote:
leere wrote:

nw2s::io balanced all the way for me. Super clean, no cable mess, no level matching BS, makes integrating external FX a breeze. All i/o run to a patchbay then onto my console and interface. Some of the best money I've spent in modular. Core module.

Is this what you guys are talking about?: http://nw2s.net/product/nw2s-io/

If so, how exactly does it work?
kwaidan
webhead311 wrote:
CF3 wrote:
leere wrote:

Is this what you guys are talking about?: http://nw2s.net/product/nw2s-io/

If so, how exactly does it work?

That's it. You need to buy a couple of DB25 to 1/4 inch snakes to connected it to your audio interface. Actually, you only need one snake if you're just concerned with sending audio out.

There are two versions of the module: balanced and unbalanced. Balanced cost $425, and the snakes can get pricey.

Guitar Center and others sell snakes, so you may be able to get them locally.

If money is an issue, I'd put it into the audo interface and live with 1/8 to 1/4 inch cables.
jwise
Expert Sleepers ES-8 will give you exactly what you are looking for over USB and you can expand on inputs/outputs as you decide.
Dragonaut
Yeah, I'm in love with my es-3/es-6 combo.
dirtbudda
So Im runnin two racks to a mixer then out to monitors how would I record from there? Sorry about hijacking your thread I was just about to post my question when I saw yours. very frustrating
hyena
homemade 1/8" to 1/4" to and from mixer (24 channels A&H gs3). this way i can exploit processors,filters and effects in my euro system with other gear thru aux sends. then 8 group outs to the 8 ins of my Motu Ultralite mk3.
i submix all channels down to 8 groups when i want to multitrack. the groups being obviously post-fader i'm able to retain mixer gestures while multitracking. other times i just record left right from the desk.
never had problems with hot levels from the modular. gain is at minimum on all modular channels (except the ones from the effect modules which are fed by the desk itself, having a weaker signal). never really felt any need for dedicated output modules, also because i'd need plenty to cover all my outputs.
hyena
dirtbudda wrote:
So Im runnin two racks to a mixer then out to monitors how would I record from there? Sorry about hijacking your thread I was just about to post my question when I saw yours. very frustrating

if you just need to record left right you have to use monitor out (or control room or cr out) for the monitors and main out for the soundcard\recording device.

if you want to multitrack you have to use direct outs of your channels or group outs if you have them. some mixer like the old soundcraft spirit have main mix and submix which you can exploit as 4 mono busses.
then keep in mind you have to realize if your outs are pre or post fader (switchable is the best) and if you want them prefader (to avoid every accidental fader move and mix in a separate session) or post (to capture every mixer gesture).

if you don't have any of those options you can do a record mix using two aux sends.
dirtbudda
Thanks for all your help that was some very usefull info Thank You very much. applause
leere
CF3 wrote:
leere wrote:

i decided that 8 outs was what i needed and that module including cables was actually the cheapest choice for me. the 8 inputs was more of a bonus that i use sometimes. but everything goes straight to my daw
AndiSt
I use a Zoom H6.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2