MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DrumBrute vs. Tip Top Eurorack (which way to go?)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author DrumBrute vs. Tip Top Eurorack (which way to go?)
BenA718
I was thinking about using my Mother-32 case for drum modules but am now wondering if getting a DrumBrute wouldn't be a better solution.

I don't have a drum machine preference when it comes to sounds (I actually like old Simmons drum sounds better than Roland) so if anyone with either or both of these solutions could chime in as to what they like about their choice it would be appreciated. Thanks!
WaveRider
a lot cheaper to get a drum machine than drum modules + sequencer

...and a better drum machine smile

check out cyclone analogic instead?

also sync/triggering options to consider

I have an acidlab miami, and a TT78 nowadays

I like din sync on the miami, you can sync to the modular with a few helper modules....
WaveRider
and btw if you have a nice euro trigger sequencer, Simmons or other brands of drum synths have a trigger in so that an excellent choice
tross
It all depends on a workflow. Some people like to go fully modular. For me Analog Rythm plus Modular goes like a perfect combo.
thingstocome
Tiptop modules will sound better for sure.
BenA718
Thanks for the feedback thus far!
sauflesautres
I once decided to go all eurorack. Drums included. I sold my drum machines. My reasons were that all triggering / sequencing would be in the same universe and i could use other modules to shape the drum sounds coming out of the drum modules. I've got a Drumdokta 2 and some Tiptop drum modules. Will someday add less classic sounding drum modules to expand the sound palette.

I'm happy with my choices but it costs a lot more than a drum machine.
thetaflux
Tiptop drums are very cost inefficient. if you're going to spend that much money on drum modules you should get more unique ones. Tiptop ones are nice, but much more limited compared to other options.
tross
Its also depends on a style of music. I can agree when you do something experimental or techno, its not good to sound the same as all other guys. Using some crazy modules from Noise Engeneering can give you some percution textures that none of drum modules can.
hippo1
Both! (?) ...Or neither?

...I recently got a DrumBrute, and definitely enjoy jamming with it. Being able to modify the sounds, even if a little, helps make it 'mine'. However... prior to that purchase, I have built up a TipTop/misc 'drum synth' rack to use with a sequencer... And it's apples & oranges. There's really no comparison to what a fully independent rack of modular toys can do, next to a dedicated drum machine. Expensive? Yes. As they say, a sequencer (Arturia?); prior to my BeatStep, I had a Noise Engineering Numeric Repetitor (still got it, BTW) for quick-and-dirty runs. Make no mistake, you can buy a CASE of DrumBrutes before you're ever satisfied with modular (ooops... that was my GAS calling!)...

...But you know how THAT works. (!)
Kent
thingstocome wrote:

Back up your claim!
Parnelli
I went with the modules, and as it has been pointed out they are more expensive, but I think more flexible. I had purchased an Alesis SR18, but I've never even used it, it's still new in the box.

I want my machine to run my drums, and not the drum module running my machine, that would be my greatest purpose. Now something like a drum docta module that would be very cool, but right now I just have a TT 808 kick, snare, and HH, and they do the job fine.

Drums are expensive in the modular world, aren't they? I wish I still had my Roland VDrums, but I gave them to my grandson.

That'll teach me to be a nice guy!
Mark_H
I've got all the TipTop 808/909 modules and use Circadian to sequence. I like the workflow and the sound quality. Obviously not cheap but I built it up slowly over time. No doubt Drum Brute is great value for the money but if you really want your drum in eurorack I would buy it piece by piece. Totally worth it.
uniquepersonno2
I'd do neither and wait a few months for that Malekko drum machine to drop, just to see what it's like. Looked pretty badass and should be around $500 if memory serves. Built in compressor and stuff too.
goldkalb
I already owned the drumbrute before I got into modular. At first I wanted to sell the drumbrute and get something else. But now I´m not so sure if I still want to sell it, because:
The sequencer is quite dope.
I can feed every single voice of the drumbrute into the modular for processing.
It has a cv clock in- and output.
I can feed it into the MI Ears module and use the envelope follower to do fancy stuff (pretty nice to excite Rings with it).

So for now, I think I keep the drumbrute. Going for modular drums anyway hihi
Datormaskin
Tip top... Better sound and faster taktile interface
lisa
Hard to compare. If you want to put together the equivalent of a drumbrute in eurorack it wouldn't be more expensive, it would be waaaaay more expensive. You could get a drumbrute, a machinedrum and a rytm for the same price or an original TR-808. eek!
Risc_Terilia
Kent wrote:
thingstocome wrote:

Back up your claim!

Yeah I'd like to see some justification for this statement. IMO Drumbrute sounds incredible and has an incredible sequencer - combined with the probability stuff that's also on board it's a great instrument that you'd be hard pushed to emulate in Euro.
JDRN1973
I have the drumbrute and the 64 step sequencer is awesome. Triplets, multiples of 5s, 9s, whatever you need and the ability to database all your programming is surely awesome.
leftbracket
The Tiptop modules have a shameful lack of CV inputs.
TheMentat
leftbracket wrote:
The Tiptop modules have a shameful lack of CV inputs.

My thoughts as well. I’d steer more toward the hexinverter stuff.
boe_dye
And it was a quick love affair -- kind of like going on a date with your high school crush, and then realizing that everything appealing about them was gone because you had matured and moved on. I was very underwhelmed by everyhing about it, and feel that the Volca Beats offers way more beef.

Analog RYTM mk1, IMHO is currently the best bang for your buck, OR.... and this is something that just recently popped up on Sonicstate: The upcoming Behringer 808 Clone. If its anywhere near their Model D clone, it is sure to blow all other budget drum machines out of the water.
InsectInPixel
i was looking at the Drumbrute and comparing it to the TR-8S. i ended up with the latter. i had the tiptop 808 snare, bd and hats but sold them.
with the TR-8S, there's a lot of flexibility (no cv of course) with gates, samples and sequences. Connecting it to Noise Engineering and other modules is quite fun and improv friendly.
smutek
I'm still pretty new to modular, I've been at it for about a year now. When considering drum stuff I realized I was most interested in pattern generation modules as opposed to drum modules.

I've got a couple of the old school Electribe machines (ER-1 and & ES-1 mk2), as well as the Volca Beats & Sample so I bought a Ladik M-215 which has been working out well for me.

The Ladik gives me 12 trigger/gate inputs mapped across 1 octave and a midi output so I can sequence my hardware machines with my modular. I bought a Grids and a Turing Machine with the pulses expander and can get some pretty groovy stuff going quickly.
boe_dye
smutek wrote:
I'm still pretty new to modular, I've been at it for about a year now. When considering drum stuff I realized I was most interested in pattern generation modules as opposed to drum modules.

I've got a couple of the old school Electribe machines (ER-1 and & ES-1 mk2), as well as the Volca Beats & Sample so I bought a Ladik M-215 which has been working out well for me.

The Ladik gives me 12 trigger/gate inputs mapped across 1 octave and a midi output so I can sequence my hardware machines with my modular. I bought a Grids and a Turing Machine with the pulses expander and can get some pretty groovy stuff going quickly.

Have you had a chance to play with the Elektribe II? It sounds incredible, and it's another solid choice over the Drumbrute, I think. It's digital, with analog modeling, but you know? It sounds hand over fist, infinitely better than the Drumbrute, AND you can send clock in and out just like the Volca's.

I think Arturia had something going, but they should have given it a bit more cowbell, so to speak. If you look at all the video's, you rarely see anyone playing them on their own as a standalone -- they are usually going into a number of other things to give them a bit more oomph.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2