MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Damn. DFAM.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Author Damn. DFAM.
dubonaire
bwhittington wrote:
I like the obviously deliberate choice to feature female synthesists in the demo. It's like the current gen Star Wars stuff, plus ladies rock.

Yeah very on point marketing video. thumbs up

Tempted to get this, largely because I recall a previous very glitchy demo. Although, after looking at the signal path, I might try to replicate this with my Micromac first.
dubonaire
GovernorSilver wrote:
The marketplace for under $700 analog drum machines seems to be getting more crowded than expected, and most of them have MIDI: Drumbrute, Bassbot's TT-78 and 606, Korg's Volcas, etc. We'll see what Malekko's asking price will be for Mr. D will be, if/when it finally hits the market.

Moog seems to be going for something different though - peeps who are more comfortable w/ Eurorack stuff, some of whom consider MIDI a four-letter word wink.

Nice to have all these choices...

It's an amazing time. So many products.
anselmi
Kent wrote:
anselmi wrote:
Kitai wrote:
really nice, but lack of usb for clock within DAW makes it really a pain to use for those without an external clock, and want to record direct to DAW.....This is a problem for me for sure

send a short audio pulse to the clock input, it works great and it´s more accurate than midi

Not necessarily true. Only if it were so.

it works with the M32...I bet you a DFAM that it works with the DFAM too Mr. Green
anselmi
double post
spacezignul
GovernorSilver wrote:
The marketplace for under $700 analog drum machines seems to be getting more crowded than expected, and most of them have MIDI: Drumbrute, Bassbot's TT-78 and 606, Korg's Volcas, etc. We'll see what Malekko's asking price will be for Mr. D will be, if/when it finally hits the market.

Moog seems to be going for something different though - peeps who are more comfortable w/ Eurorack stuff, some of whom consider MIDI a four-letter word wink.

I see this more of a drum/percussive synth than a drum machine
jvt
spacezignul wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

Exactly.
stikygum
Sounds good! Most important thing right there. Interface is intriguing.
soundshaper
If anything it looks like whole lotta fun. Bet it would sit great with not just the Mother 32 but also the Moogerfoogers. Imagine the mean and nasty that could be had with the DFAM and the FreqBox! Of course even more options in eurorack but it looks to be fun jamming right on the desktop.
GovernorSilver
spacezignul wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

I wonder who doesn't. No MIDI. No drum pads. Monophonic (in theory).. seems pretty obvious to me wink
NoLegs
GovernorSilver wrote:
spacezignul wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:

I wonder who doesn't. No MIDI. No drum pads. Monophonic (in theory).. seems pretty obvious to me wink

There's a lot of people that don't, apparently. I've seen people argue that it's overpriced because you could get a Digitakt for around the same price. hmmm.....
JakoGreyshire
I'm completely stunned about this!! eek!

It's 599.00 and available in Late january from controlvoltage.net..

Three patch points have been changed from the original Moogfest VIP issue.

I understand why people are concerned that it doesn't have Midi, but if you've ever played one... you might not care about midi so much... There are work arounds for that.... Pam's is the DFAM's new best friend forever... Silent way would work... It is misguided because it's a stand alone synth voice with envelopes and an 8 step sequencer. It pairs real well with the M32.. Just imagine it racked up with your other modular stuff..

So good..... Drunken Homer Simpson

[EDIT] Okay I'll just go ahead and say it....In my opinion if you work in the box with a DAW, you don't need the DFAM. If you are tired of working in the box and only like working with modular, like me, then you need a DFAM! If you work with both a DAW and modular then you can make up your own mind whether you need one or not.[/EDIT]

I have mixed feelings about this though... I'm glad that I now can buy another one... And I will because of the three changed patch points and I've been daydreaming for a long time about what having two would be like...

On the other hand, now everyone can have the drum sound I've been coveting for 7-8 months now...

Oh well.... My ego was bummed out for a bit... FUCK IT! Let's all push it to the absolute edge! Together..

If your not sure about it no worries... The DFAM is here to stay now... We'll all have plenty of chances to grab one.

I hope this isn't a shameful plug, but in the spirit of the DFAM I feel the need to say, "GO buy it!"...... And to show you some of my old videos that I never posted here on MW.

This was my first video. Camera microphone... but it shows the some cool hands on tricks I figured out early on.. Shit!! It looks like I got three hundered views today! Fuck me! You all have probably seen these videos already then.

A side note.. I spent most of the day at work today thinking of doing some more DFAM specific videos

This was my second video. I'm only using the LFO from the M32 here... awesome sounds though... I guess I should make some time stamps for people to jump around with.. there are 5 or 6 different examples here.. Cool groove at 4:15.. And finally a jam with the M32 at 5:08..

Finally i started getting better quality videos and my setup evolved.. 30 second snapshots was born:

After that I started my Sunday jam sessions and you can go to my youtube page to see them... I use the DFAM but they are not DFAM videos.

This is still freaking me out... I guess I'll go make some more DFAM videos and show some cool tricks I learned in the last 7-8 months..

Enjoy your new DFAM everyone!

If anyone has requests for future DFAM videos let me know...
lisa

evs wrote:
To be honest, I can‘t stand these promo videos with artists telling how great a product is. I hope the world stops with this:-)

Well, you're in luck! This video has none of that. So I guess you love it. wink
JakoGreyshire
HaHa the Moog DFAM thread just got locked up..... lock
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2730080#2730080

I was about to post this over there to answer some questions...

Funny...

hihi hihi
JakoGreyshire-unpublished wrote:

hmmm... that's funny... a while back I got in "trouble" for trying to start a DFAM thread and was told by the Moderator to use the existing thread called "Damn DFAM." It does make sense though... If there already is a DFAM thread why would we need two or more threads to keep track of one thing?

@DSC this 8 step sequencer is unique to the DFAM because it has velocity and pitch per step... the pitch range is HUGE!. Both pitch and vleocity output jacks allow for clever patching back into the DFAM. It's a super cool sequencer for this synth.

everyone else so far... My opinion here.... Having owned the DFAM for 7-8 months now, I didn't like the new promo video. I could easily assume that they got some cute DJs and gave them two DFAMs and some sound designs that Moog created for them... I could be wrong about this but then why did they give names to the patches that were highlighted? Like, "Heavy Weather", and " Tone Touch".... Did the DJs name those patches after they created them?

Everyone knows that "sex sells" as advertising goes, right? so this is maybe directed at the Male market primarily? Why are there no hot male Djs for that persuasion? Maybe the message is that there are girl DJs around and we need more girl power out there? That's cool. I can support that.

What I can attest for is that once you take it out of the skiff and put it in your modular case, it's hardcore. It may not be for you. I have never been disappointed with mine. Yeah it's big, but there are so many tricks I've discovered where I need two hands to wiggle that drop or a filter sweep with a VCO envelope change...

I posted a few of my first videos of my DFAM experience on the other thread.
Check them out if you're interested. I have more DFAM jams and stuff on my youtube page as well...
(http://no need to post a link to the page you are currently reading)

I'm not going to post the same videos on both threads for fear of the Mods slapping my hands with a ruler..

hihi hihi

Basically, FORGET what you thought about the Promo video and go buy a frickin DFAM! It's awesome! yeah it's big but you don't have to worry about HP because it can sit on your desk. Easy!

Also, no matter who you are guy or girl, hardcore modular only or in the Box producer:
JakoGreyshire wrote:
Okay I'll just go ahead and say it....In my opinion if you work in the box with a DAW, you don't need the DFAM. If you are tired of working in the box and only like working with modular, like me, then you need a DFAM! If you work with both a DAW and modular then you can make up your own mind whether you need one or not

Buy a DFAM try it out... don't like it sell it... It's awesome, IMO..

Okay, I'll shut up now.... Just a little hyper from eating fruit all day.

Peace! n-im-out...
Xmit
I have 2 x M-32s ...no idea I even wanted this until now... ( I was a bit annoyed that they never made the BFAM commercially available as I liked the look of that ) but I can now see I'm convincing myself I need a DFAM & swap my 2 tier Mother rack for a 3 tier one.

Damn I'm such a Moog whore. w00t
pickleinn
ok, this thing looks/sounds awesome! I actually like the some of the limitations/missing feature but do want to see/hear more demos...

EDIT - ok, watched the videos posted above again and have to get this
mateo
I think i might need two of these
Swain Voorman
The fact that this isn't your cookie-cutter drum machine/module opens up a ton of experimental potential. VERY intrigued. Also very interested to see what Moog adds to their ecosystem in the future.
GovernorSilver
JakoGreyshire wrote:
HaHa the Moog DFAM thread just got locked up..... lock
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2730080#2730080

I think that was just a standard thread merge.

The mods are pretty quick about finding duplicate threads then consolidating them into a single thread.
Fierball
Yay! Got my order in. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Best thing about this release (for me) isn't even the DFAM, it's that for a long time, a friend of mine has been coming around really enjoying my modular, and I've been teaching him along the way.

After a couple sessions, I attempted to get him to start building his own. He wen't home to research the internets and came back to show me a YouTube video of one of the DFAM Moogfest Engineer units and said "I want that!". I of course said "you can't HAVE that". Thus a promise was made. He would start his own rack on the day he could get a DFAM, and that day has arrived!

The infection spreads, life continues and all's right with the world.
mamonu
rowsbywoof wrote:

I'm so tempted. Don't need this, but damn do I want this.

yep me too.
msboude
Heck yeah! Got my order in as well!

Ordered the three tier rack as well. This will combo so nicely with the 2x m32 that I have now.

Was patiently waiting for this one to drop! Thank you Moog!
brianobush
Wishing the DFAM had a trigger reset input so you could have less than eight steps. I am all about odd steps!
phase ghost
Swain Voorman wrote:
The fact that this isn't your cookie-cutter drum machine/module opens up a ton of experimental potential.

I'm failing to see how this is a drum machine (of any sort) at all. I'm all for drum machines that step out of the mold, but this just seems like a synth. What's drum specific about it?
brianobush
phase ghost wrote:
Swain Voorman wrote:
The fact that this isn't your cookie-cutter drum machine/module opens up a ton of experimental potential.

I'm failing to see how this is a drum machine (of any sort) at all. I'm all for drum machines that step out of the mold, but this just seems like a synth. What's drum specific about it?

A basic kick drum can be made from oscillator, envelope and a VCA. All those pieces are in the DFAM along with a sequencer to modify velocity and pitch simultaneously.
GovernorSilver
brianobush wrote:
Wishing the DFAM had a trigger reset input so you could have less than eight steps. I am all about odd steps!

Always 8 steps no matter what?

Can veteran DFAM users (the ones who built one at the workshop) confirm?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Page 3 of 26