MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Damn. DFAM.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Author Damn. DFAM.
weird update
Does anyone has excemples of people using the dfam to make ambient music or drones?

https://soundcloud.com/weirdupdate
Nibson
I'd had my eye on a DFAM for about a year and have scoured through this thread a number of times. There's a ton of other modules I need (want) but I reached a personal goal so treated myself to a DFAM. It arrived yesterday and damn does it sound good.

I only played on it for an hour or so without patching into my case and it's a hell of a lot of fun. I make pretty heavy techno which it seems ideally suited for.

The sound is pretty distinctive so I wonder if the novelty will wear off of the sort of sound it makes..... But then I turn it on, smile and think there's not much chance of that smile
Tumulishroomaroom
My DFAM really takes a while to warm up and be where it was before I turned it off. If I play it right away there's very little bass for example, and the VCO EG amount are much more pronounced to my ears. Once it has warmed up it's very stable and identical to where I left it -provided I didn't turn the knobs.

I took the habit of turning the modular on first thing in the morning. I quite like it actually.
Alphaman
i have created two blank sheets for the dfam and the m32, just for the case i want to print it out to a future date. you can use it too if you like^^

DFAM-Mother32

Mother32-DFAM
magnetsandlasers
Nibson wrote:
The sound is pretty distinctive so I wonder if the novelty will wear off of the sort of sound it makes.....

I thought this at first too, but there is so much potential that I have yet to tire of it! Sometimes I like to be all experimental with it but you're right, it is well suited to hard-driving techno-type stuff

Tumulishroomaroom
I just realized that there's a VCA input, and that you can push the volume with CV past the knob max value; which is quite cool and useful. For some reason I tend to overlook the patchbay a little.
Marckian
Hey everyone, first time posting, I just recently bought my first ever modular gear the SV-1 lifeforms and the idea is to use it as the core of my modular setup (I hope it was a smart idea) now I am wandering about buying a DFAM.

Would those 2 be a good combo?

Buying separate modules instead of the DFAM would give me more possibilities?

Any ideas?
luketeaford
Marckian wrote:
Hey everyone, first time posting, I just recently bought my first ever modular gear the SV-1 lifeforms and the idea is to use it as the core of my modular setup (I hope it was a smart idea) now I am wandering about buying a DFAM.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I think that would be a good combo. The SV1 can give you some cool utilities and MIDI for the DFAM which is nice if you want to play it as a conventional synth(ish). Namely MIDI, S&H and another LFO will be great with the DFAM.

The DFAM has some cool things to give back to the SV1-- gorgeous moog filters, versatile fun and wild sequencer, and they both are self-contained.

You could probably expand into individual modules, but if you factor in the cost of a case and what you're going to get for your cash, I think these 2 semi modulars are versatile and will give you a lot to play with for a long time.
anselmi
Marckian wrote:
Hey everyone, first time posting,

welcome!

Quote:
I just recently bought my first ever modular gear the SV-1 lifeforms and the idea is to use it as the core of my modular setup (I hope it was a smart idea) now I am wandering about buying a DFAM

yes, they´re very different and complementary...and if your music has a rhythm component the DFAM is a must, specially for techno-ish stuff

Quote:

yes, you can recreate the functionality and features of the DFAM with modules and have more options BUT (and this is a BIG "BUT") is really hard (near impossible) to collect the modules that gives you the sound and HUGE sweet spot of the DFAM...I tried with my 12U system plus some other semi-modulars and never got the immediacy and wide range of great results as with the DFAM...it´s a true masterpiece

some people could dislike how the DFAM sounds but if you do, then go for it...it´s also modular enough to use the inside parts individually with the SV-1
Needles
Can any fine folks point me towards a link for a replacement psu for dfam, please?

I got stumped via moog site.... But it doesn't take much cool
drowld
Does anyone knows what kind of knobs i can get on aliexpress for the dfam ?
What are the size of the internal knobs ?
behndy
i have a DFAM hitting this weekend, super excited enough though the reason it took me this long go grab one is the lack of a reset input. that's..... very odd to me on anythinnnnng with a sequencer.

is there a workaround? besides manually reseting before starting up a patch?
Tumulishroomaroom
There's the Moog workaround of using the pitch to control the sequencer speed which works when you use the DFAM by itself and don't want to use pitch. I haven't find a viable workaround when you clock the DFAM, which is pretty much always. It's a bit unfortunate especially since sequencer is so cool, but it doesn't hinder my unconditional love for this fabulous instrument.

And yes when you stop your master clock you have to advance the steps of the DFAM to the last one if you want to have the same sequence every time. Although sometimes it can lead to cool changes/results not to do it.
Alphaman
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
There's the Moog workaround of using the pitch to control the sequencer speed which works when you use the DFAM by itself and don't want to use pitch. I haven't find a viable workaround when you clock the DFAM, which is pretty much always. It's a bit unfortunate especially since sequencer is so cool, but it doesn't hinder my unconditional love for this fabulous instrument.

And yes when you stop your master clock you have to advance the steps of the DFAM to the last one if you want to have the same sequence every time. Although sometimes it can lead to cool changes/results not to do it.

yeah and this only works if there's no patch cable inserted in the ADV input. in other words, you can't sync the DFAM anymore. that's why it's more or less a totally useless feature imo
behndy
yah. the lack of a reset input is WEIRD. with how much people like the sequencer it's an odd choice.
OIP
it's definitely weird, i want to open it up and look as if it's just a counter IC it could be possible to mod a reset input?

i don't really mind in any event, the internal sequencer is pretty goofy and certainly fun enough.

the whole machine is awesome, had it for a couple of weeks now and it gets completely filthy while also being a very sweet little synth in its own right when interfaced with other gear. strange combination of limited, but also a real lot of bang for buck in the package.

AM with the vco out into the vca is my favourite thing, just dirty as hell
drowld
Damn would be nice to have a reset input. It's like smd inside the dfam ?
evilspock
OIP wrote:

OIP, thank you for this tip! thumbs up thumbs up I have enjoyed experimenting with my DFAM in this config today.

Does anyone else have any cool little tidbits that don't require reading 25 pages of thread? hihi

It really is a lovely little self-contained "I can play with others but I'm awesome on my own by myself, thank you very much" instrument with a f***-ton of character. It's funny to see on page 1 of the thread that Moog originally had no intention of releasing it as a product. Very happy they changed their minds, there's just nothing else like it out there and it sounds so great and so fun to play. Bonafide hit by Moog, hope they learned a lesson there on taking a chance on a non-traditional synthesizer design.
Alphaman
evilspock wrote:
OIP wrote:

OIP, thank you for this tip! thumbs up thumbs up I have enjoyed experimenting with my DFAM in this config today.

Does anyone else have any cool little tidbits that don't require reading 25 pages of thread? hihi

It really is a lovely little self-contained "I can play with others but I'm awesome on my own by myself, thank you very much" instrument with a f***-ton of character. It's funny to see on page 1 of the thread that Moog originally had no intention of releasing it as a product. Very happy they changed their minds, there's just nothing else like it out there and it sounds so great and so fun to play. Bonafide hit by Moog, hope they learned a lesson there on taking a chance on a non-traditional synthesizer design.

don't do this. i think you would fry the DFAM
Tumulishroomaroom
Tried my best to get as hard hitting a kick as possible with the DFAM :

https://www.instagram.com/p/By7u9YwBBcy/
OIP
Alphaman wrote:
evilspock wrote:
OIP wrote:

don't do this. i think you would fry the DFAM

but.. how? patching audio to the VCA CV in? you might fry your ears

agree with the thoughts on how much of a hit it is, best thing i've picked up in a long while. i have been mainly using it for classic BD on 1, snare on 5 hip hop style drums and it's led to some furious nodding.

i opened it up and it's comically shallow, going to make a skiff for it to take it places. i wasn't able to check the front of the PCB to see what IC they used in the sequencer counter for the reset situation as that's a chunk of work to take all the pots off. not sure if anyone has done that yet sorry (this is a loooong thread).

another minor thing, i used these knobs to slide on to the existing plastic shafts:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20Pcs-6mm-Insert-Shaft-10x14mm-Plastic-Pot entiometer-Rotary-Knob-Pots-Black-/333123851959

had to draw white lines with paint pen but it was easy. they are nice, smaller than the 'classic' look knobs.
kinkujin
drowld wrote:

I too would like this answer please. Thank you.
Alphaman
kinkujin wrote:
drowld wrote:

I too would like this answer please. Thank you.

do you mean bigger knobs for the sequencer?
any knob with a hole of 6mm in diameter in it should fit.
i recommend knobs with a screw at the side. that's more variable and not too much tight! this Aliexpress partly gives not much infos about the specs, that's really unhappy. you should send a email and ask first before you buy.
JakoGreyshire
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/moog-dfam-knob-upgrade/
bmot
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
I've had mine for a couple of weeks but I've just had time to dig into it these past few days. I love it very much, so instantly playable, so fun, so full of sweet spots. I've only jut used it for percussion so far, but the "presets" show how much more there is to this beast.

Anyway here's a first real track with it where it comes real early and stay on mostly all the time, doing the subdued toms in the background :

[s]https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/scorched-dub[/s]

I’m just researching DFAM right now, reading and listening. Igot tp play one a few weeks ago, instant love. I will be buying one in the next days or weeks. Anyway, 1 year after that post I quoted, I just wanted to say this track is epic, the hard edged hypnotic techno sound you made is comparable to the great Orphx. I would love to hear that live.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next [all]
Page 25 of 26