Damn. DFAM.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

ashh888
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ashh888 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:55 pm

bought one

im shit but this thing refuses to make a shit sound

beautiful beasty

are all moogs this good?

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:16 pm

Anyone in a position to comment on "all moogs"? ;)

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Fog Door wrote:Anyone in a position to comment on "all moogs"? ;)
Not me, but I can say I prefer the DFAM to several Moogs :)

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:49 pm

bmot wrote:
Tumulishroomaroom wrote:I've had mine for a couple of weeks but I've just had time to dig into it these past few days. I love it very much, so instantly playable, so fun, so full of sweet spots. I've only jut used it for percussion so far, but the "presets" show how much more there is to this beast.

Anyway here's a first real track with it where it comes real early and stay on mostly all the time, doing the subdued toms in the background :

https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom/scorched-dub
I’m just researching DFAM right now, reading and listening. Igot tp play one a few weeks ago, instant love. I will be buying one in the next days or weeks. Anyway, 1 year after that post I quoted, I just wanted to say this track is epic, the hard edged hypnotic techno sound you made is comparable to the great Orphx. I would love to hear that live.
Thank you, much appreciated ! I should have stuff out soonish.
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

booger
Ultra Wiggler

Post by booger » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Anyone running two DFAMs?

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:57 pm

Holy f*ck!! I've just taken delivery of the DFAM and this thing is incredible. I've mainly been bypassing the sequencer and patching it to the SE Engine's CV/gate outputs, which creates some really interesting subtle variations so easily. I'm a lazy beatmaker, and this combo makes it child's play to get very interesting patterns very quickly. For me that's the big thing here, because usually it's a lot more work to programme modulations and make beats less static. As a big fan of industrial techno/power electronics this is helping me make similar sounds to those I see in concert.

I had sold a few things to prepare for buying the Pulsar 23, and i've been on the waiting list since the first week or so, but the DFAM has stolen my heart and makes such a racket that I don't see the need for the Pulsar so much now. I've also got a TR-9090 for basic TR sounds, I feel like the rhythm section is now covered.

The DFAM has also made me appreciate a HPF more than usual - i almost always go for the LPF but the HPF is so juicy. I'll post some DFAM recordings when I get round to it.

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:00 pm

Improvising the very early stage of a live set :

[video][/video]

This needs a lot more work but you get the idea... DFAM is on kick duties, like most of the time since I discovered how good it does these very subby, deep techno kicks that I love.
instagram
soundcloud

guitargyro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by guitargyro » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:18 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:Improvising the very early stage of a live set :

[video][/video]

This needs a lot more work but you get the idea... DFAM is on kick duties, like most of the time since I discovered how good it does these very subby, deep techno kicks that I love.
This sounds great!!!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:51 am

Thank you ! Actually just recorded a new one yesterday evening; just sound this time :

https://soundcloud.com/tumulishoomaroom ... ion-test-2

DFAM still doing the kick throughout.

Other notable modules being Verbos CO, Multi Delay and Bark Filter; Loquelic Iteritas Percido and Morphagene.
instagram
soundcloud

Richjk7
Common Wiggler

Post by Richjk7 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:41 am

booger wrote:Anyone running two DFAMs?
Right here, its twice the fun!

Seriously though with two, its enough to make complete techno tracks. For me it worked well with one handling bass drum and hats/snare sounds and the other dfam doing toms and pitched sequences.

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 am

too bad that the DFAM doesn't have two trigger inputs per VCO, then it would be possible to me to play my DFAM and my Mother32 polyphonic (3 VCO's per voice) by the help of a Mutable Instruments Yarns MIDI interface that i get in a couple of days.

bmot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bmot » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:10 am

Alphaman wrote:too bad that the DFAM doesn't have two trigger inputs per VCO, then it would be possible to me to play my DFAM and my Mother32 polyphonic (3 VCO's per voice) by the help of a Mutable Instruments Yarns MIDI interface that i get in a couple of days.
I’m using these with my DFAM, would this work for what you want to do?

Stacking cables

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:49 pm

bmot wrote:
Alphaman wrote:too bad that the DFAM doesn't have two trigger inputs per VCO, then it would be possible to me to play my DFAM and my Mother32 polyphonic (3 VCO's per voice) by the help of a Mutable Instruments Yarns MIDI interface that i get in a couple of days.
I’m using these with my DFAM, would this work for what you want to do?

Stacking cables
even with stacking cables you can't trigger each VCO independently. how should that work? i was talking about playing the Mother32's VCO and both DFAM VCO's threefold polyphonic. in other words, you need 3x Trig Inputs and of course a specific Module to do so, such as the Mutable Instruments Yarns, which offers 4 Gate/Trig & 4 CV Outputs (4x Polyphonic).

seta666
Wiggling with Experience

Post by seta666 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:30 pm

I like sequencing it with the sq1 and using the internal sequencer for cv modulation. It is my bestsounding synth but truth said if I had to buy it again I would go for a Model D plus SQ1, way more powerful combo I would say.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:13 am

The trigger input is not related to the VCOs except that it opens the pitch, filter, and amp envelopes. You could make that setup polyphonic with DFAM and M32 by routing one of DFAM's oscillators to the M32 mixer patched as a VCA. You'd still be one envelope short, so you'd have to do with a gate envelope or let it drone or something. Perhaps you can generate an envelope with MIDI and bring that in? :tu:

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:48 am

is there a quick and easy way to reset DFAM's sequencer to step one?

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:21 am

fattyparts wrote:is there a quick and easy way to reset DFAM's sequencer to step one?
Not if you clock it. Otherwise there's the moog method :

[video][/video]
instagram
soundcloud

fattyparts
Common Wiggler

Post by fattyparts » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:22 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
fattyparts wrote:is there a quick and easy way to reset DFAM's sequencer to step one?
Not if you clock it. Otherwise there's the moog method :

[video][/video]
yep, i'm driving it with the rest of my rig. although not being able to reset it leads to interesting results, it's a faff getting it to trigger from the 1st desired step

Alphaman
Common Wiggler

Post by Alphaman » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:55 am

luketeaford wrote:
The trigger input is not related to the VCOs except that it opens the pitch, filter, and amp envelopes. You could make that setup polyphonic with DFAM and M32 by routing one of DFAM's oscillators to the M32 mixer patched as a VCA. You'd still be one envelope short, so you'd have to do with a gate envelope or let it drone or something. Perhaps you can generate an envelope with MIDI and bring that in? :tu:
i understand. i tried that today, but with little to no success. i even had a hard time to play the internal OSC's quadraphonic, because every OSC has its own Audio output. i sold my Erica Synths Stereo Mixer a few weeks ago and i don't have the possibillity anymore to mix 2 audio sources. maybe 3 sources maximum with a trick^^

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:50 pm

Someone knows where I could purchase EU adapters for my DFAM PSU ? Only got UK and US adapter switches at the moment

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:31 am

Hi!

sorry if this question was asked before, but does anyone know what type of small potentiometer Moog is using for the DFAM, especially the "VCO 1 LEVEL" control? Even though decent usage mine got really wonky/scratchy and had lost a lot of his "movement resistance". Maybe it is possible to replace those poti DIY? :hmm:

The location itself does not look like rocket science and sending it in from germany might be a little overkill.

Thanks a lot in advance!

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:53 am

tdallas wrote:Hi!

sorry if this question was asked before, but does anyone know what type of small potentiometer Moog is using for the DFAM, especially the "VCO 1 LEVEL" control? Even though decent usage mine got really wonky/scratchy and had lost a lot of his "movement resistance". Maybe it is possible to replace those poti DIY? :hmm:

The location itself does not look like rocket science and sending it in from germany might be a little overkill.

Thanks a lot in advance!

If I recall correctly, the Pots are 10KB for most of them. I think the resonance was the only different one... Maybe 50KA? if you look at the back of the pots there should be markings on them that tell the values of them.

They are D-shat pots and you can buy all them from thonk.

It's been a few years since I built it so, look at the markings on the pots, measure them with a multimeter and good luck!
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:53 am

JakoGreyshire wrote: If I recall correctly, the Pots are 10KB for most of them. I think the resonance was the only different one... Maybe 50KA? if you look at the back of the pots there should be markings on them that tell the values of them.

They are D-shat pots and you can buy all them from thonk.

It's been a few years since I built it so, look at the markings on the pots, measure them with a multimeter and good luck!
Thanks a lot for the response and help! I will try that :tu:

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:46 pm

Question - I have a Keystep and a TR8S. Ordered a DFAM because it was on sale and I have wanted one since it came out.

i know I can send sync out from the TR8S, but would it make sense to add the Keystep into the mix like TR8S clock sync - >Keystep sync > DFAM?

Curious how any of you may use a similar combo. I want to do euclidean rhythms sometimes and basically come up with rhythmic sounds and percussion to compliment the drum pattern on my TR8s.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:16 am

I used to have a TR8S. I used all six instrument outs as triggers. Worked beautifully. Great for breaking up the straight-eight DFAM run.

Return to “General Gear”