MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Damn. DFAM.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next [all]
Author Damn. DFAM.
luketeaford
My experience with the DFAM-- patching to Trigger IN was the best way to extend it beyond 8 steps. You can do it with a clock derivative or just a free running LFO tuned by ear.

That allows the internal sequencer to fire only when Trigger Input is high, so it trips over itself and can extend the sequence. I was only borrowing it from a friend or I would make a video of it. It's on my Instagram if you want to look in the mid to late June 2018 era for demos of that patch.
drowld
luketeaford wrote:
My experience with the DFAM-- patching to Trigger IN was the best way to extend it beyond 8 steps. You can do it with a clock derivative or just a free running LFO tuned by ear.

That allows the internal sequencer to fire only when Trigger Input is high, so it trips over itself and can extend the sequence. I was only borrowing it from a friend or I would make a video of it. It's on my Instagram if you want to look in the mid to late June 2018 era for demos of that patch.

Dude there's way too much video on your instagram haha
i couldnt even find it and spent 1mn scrolling down Dead Banana
budinis
really love my dfam!
now I want to build a "utility"-case around the dfam in a moog 60 case.

I re-arange my setup at the moment and have still some modules out of use...
pamela and Basimilus Iteritas Alter would be new...

any recommentations or hints?

budinis
no one? hmmm.....
JakoGreyshire
Attenuverters.... I would recommend Mutable Instruments Shades..

Pamela will do looping random stuff and a lot of things... I think I have some older videos of just the DFAM and Pamela banging it out... However, Pam's doesn't do bipolar CV.

With shades you can set up the knobs so that when you turn the top knob all the other outputs change. I'm a big fan of moving one thing and a bunch of things change.. I'm also a big fan of feedback loops, so attenuverters can be used for that too...

With all that said, It's hard to ignore Maths from Make Noise... Two attenuverters, and two channels of Attach Decay EGs... There's so much to do with Maths...

If this rack is the space you have to work with, I would suggest getting rid of the Pittsburg mixer for a smaller mixer. I have a 3HP Malekko Mix 4 and a 3HP Erica synths RND random module that takes up 6HP total and that is a lot of utility goodness in 6HP!! ( I also have a video I made explaining the outputs on Erica's RND module)

I don't have one or owned one but I'm sure a voltage block would do for an excellent companion module...

You might want to fully exploit Pamela's New Workout by self patching it... Take on of its outputs carefully plan to modulate itself in one of the inputs... There is so much there by doing that.... Pamela will do a lot.. I still have to dig deeper with it.

So to recap, I recommend:

Erica Synths RND
Mutable instruments Shades
Malekko Mix 4
Make Noise Maths

There are lots of choices and these ones I know personally. Keep patching and thinking about what you want to make happen... Have fun with your modular journey.... It never stops evolving just like some good CV.
JakoGreyshire
Oh yeah, I would also get rid of the Tiptop one and get a Disting MK4. In the Disting thread someone asked about the TT One and the Disting comparison, and the result was that the Disting can do everything the One can and a TON of other things too... I
I've got a couple of Distings... They are very useful and are getting updates all the time... I should get a few more actually...
gringostar
Quantizer, wavefolder, mixer/polarizer/utilities, and modulation.

Quantizer to make the sequencer musical when you want it. Disting is good here.

Wavefolder as you have two great sounding analog oscillators and smashing them to bits is great. You have a lot to pick from.

Mixer/polarizer/utilities for more “fun” options. Again a lot of options, but I would look at the SSF tool-box and MIAx3.

Modulation as your options are a bit limited with just the DFAM. Lots of options but maths, rampage, stages, and PNW should be up there.
budinis
thanks a lot for your recommentations!
I still have maths in my other rack and won't use so much place in such a small case...
Now I have rearranged the dfam utility box:

JakoGreyshire
budinis wrote:
thanks a lot for your recommentations!
I still have maths in my other rack and won't use so much place in such a small case...
Now I have rearranged the dfam utility box:

Nice.... So, it looks like you are doing some research... Good, Good...

Anyway, I was curious about how you are planning on using the Syncrodyne with the DFAM?

Ah! Well... In fact, what are your plans for all of this utility rack now that you've got it setup like this? Just curious... Looks like fun..

Happy Nerding MIA looks like a good option...

So, there is a dual sample and hold in the Disting... FYI..

Also the 2HP TRM is a passive Attenuation and as such it might be a waste of 2HP in the rack.... If it were my rack I would put the 2HP MIX in there instead and get some passive attenuation out of the rack...

Like these, but they have been out of stock for a while...
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ryo-airtenuator/

The reason being is that having a mixer for CV and another mixer for audio is good for wiggling fun..

You've probably got other mixers in your rack though, eh?

Passive attenuation is good as well though... hmmmm....
seriously, i just don't get it seriously, i just don't get it
Nutritional Zero
I recommend adding an LPG to any small modular setup destined to compliment the DFAM. The DFAM’s filter and VCA are competant and extremely good-sounding to my ears, but you might want something a little different at times.

Something like Optomix, LxD or Doepfer a-101-2 will give you some options for a natural and plucky sound.

I also echo the shouts for Pam’s and Maths. I’m unlikely to buy another Pam’s but I have four complex function generators so I’ll probably consecrate Maths to the DFAM rig.

I’m interested in seeing how different colours of noise sound through DFAM, replace the white noise/ext in normalization. I might try a Quantum Rainbow 2 to work with some darker tones.

Quantizer, bitcrusher, these are also things I have considered.[/url]
thisoldmike
I love my DFAM, I usually end up using it clocked by and in conjunction with a Digitakt to handle percussive duties. It's also a lot of fun when sequenced with a Beatstep Pro (main beat sequencing) and an SQ-1 (to sequence changes in VCA/VCF/VCO decays, velocity, FM amount, whatever). I usually have it running into a Disting mk4 running either a delay or a waveshaper. I should probably get another M32 to go with it, kinda regretting selling my first M32.
subLimb
thisoldmike wrote:
I love my DFAM, I usually end up using it clocked by and in conjunction with a Digitakt to handle percussive duties. It's also a lot of fun when sequenced with a Beatstep Pro (main beat sequencing) and an SQ-1 (to sequence changes in VCA/VCF/VCO decays, velocity, FM amount, whatever). I usually have it running into a Disting mk4 running either a delay or a waveshaper. I should probably get another M32 to go with it, kinda regretting selling my first M32.

Curious how exactly did you get your DFAM clocked by the Digitakt? Or did you put the Digitakt through another device, and then into your DFAM?
thisoldmike
Ah, yeah. Forgot to mention that bit - the Digitakt MIDI out drives a CV.OCD for MIDI to CV. Works like a champ.
subLimb
thisoldmike wrote:
Ah, yeah. Forgot to mention that bit - the Digitakt MIDI out drives a CV.OCD for MIDI to CV. Works like a champ.

Oooh, would you mind sharing your CV OCD settings? I have a bud thats trying to do this exact thing, only with the Octatrack -> CV.OCD -> DFAM and not having any luck.
thisoldmike
subLimb wrote:
thisoldmike wrote:

Oooh, would you mind sharing your CV OCD settings? I have a bud thats trying to do this exact thing, only with the Octatrack -> CV.OCD -> DFAM and not having any luck.

I just looked and can't find the config sysex file anywhere. A quick spin through the manual doesn't give me any idea if it's even possible to pull the current config off of it, and it's been months since I set it up, so... seriously, i just don't get it
budinis
I also have octatrack --> cv.ocd --> modular:

Here is the configuration for midi-channels 13-16:

don't know how to upload the sysex here?! d'oh!
but send me pm and a mail-adress and I send you the file.
subLimb
Thanks very much for the responses! I don't need the sysex file since you've uploaded the full settings image, so no problem there.

Thanks again!
Alphaman
a few Ericas in a moog skiff for my Moogs. looks pretty awesome too. the DFAM is not on the photo. i need a 3 tier stand first^^

modul8tr
Hello all,

I’m trying to get my DFAM (which I’m VERY new to) setup with Reaktor Blocks where I plan to use the Kodiak Shift/Curve sequencers with it. I’m using the Expert Sleepers ES-8 and ES-3 to send CV/Gates etc.

Getting the sequencer to control DFAM via Expert Sleepers is straightforward. I have pitch patched to OSC 1-2 CV. Clock to ADV/CLOCK and velocity to velocity (and I’m open to any other tips here).

The biggest issue is just getting both oscillators tuned with Reaktor Blocks pitch cv tool . Somehow I got OSC 1 to tune once and it played in tune with some VST synth layers beautifully. Tuning OSC 2 so far is impossible. I hit the run button on pitch cv tool and NOTHING happens even though everything is set exactly as it was to tune OSC 1. Any insights/tips?
Xtheunknown
Are the Moog DFAM envelopes one-shot (i.e. they must complete their full cycle before they can be retriggered), or are they retriggered before completion of their cycle whenever a new trigger is received (like a traditional ADSR)?

As always, your help is GREATLY appreciated!
HrBak
modul8tr wrote:
Hello all,

I’m trying to get my DFAM (which I’m VERY new to) setup with Reaktor Blocks where I plan to use the Kodiak Shift/Curve sequencers with it. I’m using the Expert Sleepers ES-8 and ES-3 to send CV/Gates etc.

Getting the sequencer to control DFAM via Expert Sleepers is straightforward. I have pitch patched to OSC 1-2 CV. Clock to ADV/CLOCK and velocity to velocity (and I’m open to any other tips here).

The biggest issue is just getting both oscillators tuned with Reaktor Blocks pitch cv tool . Somehow I got OSC 1 to tune once and it played in tune with some VST synth layers beautifully. Tuning OSC 2 so far is impossible. I hit the run button on pitch cv tool and NOTHING happens even though everything is set exactly as it was to tune OSC 1. Any insights/tips?

I don't have a DFAM, but when I started to use ES-3 and NI Blocks and tried to tune my OSC I had the same problem you are describing. Turned out that I had to use a CV Block for every OSC and not just route the same Cv Block to more than one OSC.
rasabel
Hi all DFAM's folks,first time posting ,love for all of you.

Recorded foggy and meandering musique concrète compositions with DFAM, shakers,and noises about "work"

Brain-pleasing outcomes in video for one of five tracks album below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6YrCYwGUBE

Peace.
purpur
Hey guys,

how do you squeeze maximum voices from your DFAM simultaneously without help form other modules (or maybe connecting only to m32)? I happen to patch TRIGGER out to VCA CV in order to get click on each steps filling the role of high hat or clave. It's post filter section, so the tone stays constant whatever I change in signal path. I think once I've got similar clicks with trigger out going pre-filter, so playing with resonance was giving them a bit more of character, but I can't quite remember how I patched it.
The Junglechrist
Hey there everyone ! We just uploaded this new video from our Patch From Scratch session, using the DFAM and the MF-103 Phaser to make some filthy beats :

JakoGreyshire
For those DFAM owners who also have a Mother-32, there is a patch book available for download at moog's website:

https://back.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2019-02/Electronicus%20 Patch%20Book_0.pdf
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next [all]
Page 24 of 27