MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adapting existing non euro kits to euro power?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Adapting existing non euro kits to euro power?
bmoren
Has anyone tried adapting a cheap non-euro board for euro use. For example I've got this headphone amp: http://a.co/h4lb15X which would be really nice to have in my case and run off my euro power instead of it's own wall wart. It calls for 12-18V. I tried to make a quick power cable for it, but I'm still quite confused about about euro power:

When I metered my +12 V and a 0V/Gnd Pin I get 0v on my meter, and metering +12 and -12 I get a 12v reading. Whats going on there? Can anyone point me to more resources which break down euro power in a more direct and technical way? I'm hoping there is a way I can adapt this kind of board to euro power, but it all seems a bit unclear where to move next!

ps. sorry if this post already exists, with the search functionality down, its difficult to find things!
julian
Theres a page on doepfers site that has the pin out....

http://www.doepfer.de/a100_man/a100t_e.htm

euromorcego
bmoren wrote:

When I metered my +12 V and a 0V/Gnd Pin I get 0v on my meter, and metering +12 and -12 I get a 12v reading. Whats going on there?

this is certainly wrong. If you measured correctly (and check the layout of the power header posted above, red line is -12V), you must get +12 between +12V and Gnd, and 24V between +12V and -12V.

Otherwise you can try to just run the headphone amp from the 12V. There are several modules that provide outlets for 5V and 9V.

However, there are also good arguments for not doing so:
(1) modular power is expensive and you want clean and reliable power. So when the headphone amp works fine with a generic wall wart, why not use it (you can always split to other external pedals/gear).
(2) The headphone amp mostl likely also runs of a virtual bipolar power, such that the virtual ground is at 6V and instead of 12V the amp "sees" +6V,0V,-6V. This might be a problem or not ... i don't know (I just know that the MFOS site recommends to *not* run their 9V stuff from one side of a bipolar supply).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1