MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Metasonix RK5 Dual Lowpass Gate has arrived
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Author The Metasonix RK5 Dual Lowpass Gate has arrived
snakejaw
woot! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

http://metasonix.com/index.php/rk5-dual-lowpass-gate-new
EPTC
Quote:
Since part of our remit is to explore an electronic-music history that didn’t actually happen, one inevitable product would have been a lowpass gate.

Loving the RK series.

So this is an LPG without a vactrol? Can't wait to work with this.
metasonix
EPTC wrote:
So this is an LPG without a vactrol?

LPG=vactrols, tubes or not.
ritchiedrums
SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! The Agonizer!
snakejaw
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ySgxryl6GoQ
EPTC
Good joy here - I was bummed to see Big City sell out so quickly (but happy for Eric) - Analogue Haven just got a batch in, grabbed one immediately.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/metasonix/rk5/
numan7
w00t rk-5 sounds so-ooooooooooo exquisite - possibly my favorite sounding module, metasonix or otherwise, yet! we're not worthy

The Agonizer! here are some of the ways i've been patching mine during the first few days i've had it:

--
1st patch: trigger output from clock divider into to rk-5 ch-1 cv-input. rk-5 ch-1 output into main mixer.

result: silence.

--
2nd patch: same as 1st patch, but with rk-5 ch-1 output split via stackcable so that it is also multed into rk-5 ch-1 input.

result: clicky, rubbery 'buchla bongo'-like sound.

--
3rd patch: same as 1st patch, but with rk-5 ch-1 output multed into a vca with adjustable offset bias, cv attenuation and exp/lin response. AD eg patched to vca cv in. clock divider output pinging rk-5 cv-input is multed to AD eg trigger input. vca output is patched to rk-5 input.

result: similar to 2nd patch, especially at short attack and decay, but louder and with some control over pitch. depending on vca bias, cv atten and response settings, rk-5 ouput can cut off to silence at short eg attack and decay. at higher vca bias setting and linear response, rk-5 starts to self-oscillate (and can get rather loud). with vca response somewhere between exp and linear and bias about halfway up (etc.) i am able to get a very nice snare drum sound with the rk-5 adding just the right amount of crunchy noise on top of the bongo ringing vactrol tone to make it fairly convincing (a bit of spring reverb helps here too).

--
4th patch: similar to 3rd patch, but with OR-mix output from AD envelope and LFO-mode function patched to vca cv-input.

result: when the LFO function, set to short attack and long decay and mixed at least 40% proportion with the envelope, goes through the 2nd half of its cycle the snare drum sound mutates into space-invader bleeping/blooping for a couple of seconds (LFO is running at approx 0.25 hz here).

--
5th patch: similar to 4th patch, but with rk-5 ch-1 output multed into an audio submixer and mixed with zig-zag waveform output of a vco. audio submixer output patched into vca input. smooth rapidly fluctuating random voltage generator output patched to scale quantizer input. scale quantizer output patched to vco 1v/oct input.

result: Lotsa Love exactly how i like my instruments to sound! depending on submixer and vca settings i can get such a beautiful - buchla-esque but different - plucked-string melody going on at the same time as rk-5's internally generated snare drum sound. when i increase LFO mix-amount and decay time to the range where bleeps and bloops were occuring in the 4th patch, in this case the rk-5 instead appears to try to follow the vco's pitch after a slight lag and lowered a few steps - like some crazy-ass pll - it actually sounds like i might be hearing some alternation between 4ths and 5ths and occasional 3rds going on (i'll have to slow things down and listen more closely to convince myself i'm not tripping later).

--

cheers

(*other modules used in the above descriptions were: intellijel uscale, uvca-ii, quadra+expander, dubmix, rubicon and springray + makenoise maths and wiard-wogglebug + mutable instruments frames + plan-b heisenberg generator +tsyklon labs chaos divider -- i'm really looking forward to patching rk-5 with other metasonix once i get my yellow-case power issues sorted out)
snakejaw
Love to hear some examples!
EPTC
Here's some. I got one just this week and can totally agree with numan7, there's thousands of sounds, bongos, bumps, in this thing. Good VCA functions, too.

Really lovely rubber band twang. Can't wait to work with it more.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/eptc/metasonix-lpg[/s]
captjrab
Just scored this module from Robot Speak. Been looking into another LPG and saw this and ccould not resist the screaming goo yo .
Hooked it up with PEG. Patched channel one out into channel 2 in and am messing with different clock ryhthms. Sounds amazing. Very expressive.
thedevilstone
Just snatched one. Looking forward to adding it to my Metasonix rig.

Thanks numan7 for the patch ideas and EPTC for the sounds.

I’ll play with mine and post what I find out here.

If you guys have any other experiences with the RK5 you wanna share, I’d appreciate it.

Cheers.
FatRocky
confused
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Metasonix  
Page 1 of 1