MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

System 80 JOVE VCF
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author System 80 JOVE VCF
Oasis_Pyramid
Apologies if there is already a thread, can’t see one, anyone got hold of one of these yet? Any good?

Seen a couple of videos and it sounds pretty good
TechnoPrisoner
it does sound pretty good , instant Roland sound smile
Extra filter modes and enough modulations inputs are very useful.
behndy
Mylar did a gooood (lust inducing) vidja on them -

mines will be here this weekend, i am BEYOND excited.
pitri
super nice filter! great futures and sounds good. one popped up on modulargrid an hour after I was watching mylars vid about it so it was an impulse buy.
only the size is a bit annoying tbh.
kingspill
Yep, it's a wonderful filter.
ZZ Ardoz is selling a few (his builds, very nice) in fs/t.
Lots of sweet spots, highly recommended.
minisystem
Sound on Sound likes it too. smile

New stock on its way to Signal Sounds, Post Modular, Analog Haven and Perfect Circuit. More stock currently in production.
Oasis_Pyramid
yea bit the bullet and bought one, that mylar vid sold it! sounds amazing, managed to find one from sweden! cant wait to give it a go.
Oasis_Pyramid
Oasis_Pyramid wrote:
yea bit the bullet and bought one, that mylar vid sold it! sounds amazing, managed to find one from sweden! should arrive today cant wait to give it a go.
suthnear
I will be comparing this to the SE8106 shortly. I am hoping I prefer the Jove LPF because I definitely prefer its feature set (the HPF, particularly, sounds very good).
kbithecrowing
Anyone with a production run (non-DIY) Jove: do you have a volume drop on the filter output compared to the raw output of an oscillator? I just got a DIY build and both my DPO and Cursus Iteritas have a noticable volume drop compared to the dry signal. Not trying to undercut the builder by any means (PM'd them andthey were quite detailed and helpful), I'm just curious if this is a common characteristic of all versions of the module.
minisystem
kbithecrowing wrote:
Anyone with a production run (non-DIY) Jove: do you have a volume drop on the filter output compared to the raw output of an oscillator? I just got a DIY build and both my DPO and Cursus Iteritas have a noticable volume drop compared to the dry signal. Not trying to undercut the builder by any means (PM'd them andthey were quite detailed and helpful), I'm just curious if this is a common characteristic of all versions of the module.

Check with the builder what value they used for R51 and R72. They should be 330K and 270K respectively . An earlier version of the build docs had those values as 100K and 10K, respectively, which would result in the lower output you describe.
ZZ Ardoz
minisystem wrote:
kbithecrowing wrote:

Check with the builder what value they used for R51 and R72. They should be 330K and 270K respectively . An earlier version of the build docs had those values as 100K and 10K, respectively, which would result in the lower output you describe.

Hey - builder here

I did indeed use the current BOM and the values mentioned, and the builds were all consistently the same as far as performance.

The volume drop with the resonance reminded me of my Sea Devils filter a bit, and from what I read, Jupiter 6 users suggest there is also a volume drop with their original filters when introducing resonance.

Is there some sort of fix I could apply to boost the signal? I'm happy to modify the units if so.
minisystem
yeah, volume drops as resonance goes up, but there is a bit of attenuation compared to dry signal at 0 resonance. About 2/3 of input, depending on mode.
ZZ Ardoz
minisystem wrote:
yeah, volume drops as resonance goes up, but there is a bit of attenuation compared to dry signal at 0 resonance. About 2/3 of input, depending on mode.

Thanks so much for the reply. I've sent you an email concerning a couple of things. Really appreciate it, and what an amazing sounding filter you've designed.
behndy
hell YEAH it is.

the volume drop isn't a problem at all for me, was just curious if it was all modules doing it.

looooveeeee this thing.
kbithecrowing
Thank y'all for the info and research thumbs up

Is it weird that my favorite way to use Jove so far is 24db with no resonance? It just sounds so nice and round.
pitri
kbithecrowing wrote:

Is it weird that my favorite way to use Jove so far is 24db with no resonance? It just sounds so nice and round.

same here....
suthnear
pitri wrote:
kbithecrowing wrote:

same here....

I have been comparing the Jove to the 8106 and my finding (so far) is that the Jove has much more interesting and engaging resonance behaviour. In fact it has some of the nicest resonance of any filter I have ever used. The resonance becomes part of the sound: it doesn't sit on top of or somehow apart from it. And so liquid. I don't remember the jupe 6 ever sounding this good.

However, one area where I think I prefer the 8106 is with no resonance. It's difficult to describe but rounder and punchier come to mind. Plus it can really knock thanks to the huge amount of gain possible both before and after the filter. This opens up a range of other sounds that I haven't been able to replicate with the jove so far. The jove is a little furrier and less punchy at no resonance, although backing off the gain on the input and then reamplifying after the filter does help quite a bit. The jove's output level, although it does fall a bit with resonance, is also a lot more consistent than the 8106's, which is all over the place and definitely needs a compressor after it if one is going to modulate the resonance.

One other small criticism of the jove is that the cutoff CV depth has a rather steep onset so it's a bit tricky to dial in small amounts. The upside of this is that the available range is very wide so you can really open the filter using CV.

A terrific filter, very happy.
suthnear
And after using this for a while, I think this might be my favourite filter, edging out the e440. So good.
Oasis_Pyramid
good to know the slight volume drop is a characteristic and not just mine, i was wondering that too.

the filter is outstanding though, but I almost need another filter to use just as a manual operated filter, because the jove just sounds so good being modulated.
pandereteiro
Hello

Building one here, but found a discordance in the values of c1, c11, c28 and c29. BOM states 22pF for those capacitors, but schematics and Octopart links point to 10 pF.

Which one is correct?
Europa313
pandereteiro wrote:
Hello

Building one here, but found a discordance in the values of c1, c11, c28 and c29. BOM states 22pF for those capacitors, but schematics and Octopart links point to 10 pF.

Which one is correct?

This bom seems more fresh than the CSV

https://octopart.com/bom-tool/0BVEzM8i

Here it says 22pf
Also the 47k resistor error in the scv in GIT is fixed here so I'm going to assume it's 22pf
stamppotwortel
Never knew I liked 2 pole filters this much. Just love how a sawwave Sounds through this with just a little bit of resonance.
Seaweed Sound
Has anyone compared the Jove to the Xaoc Belgrad filter?
Hezza11
Seaweed Sound wrote:
Has anyone compared the Jove to the Xaoc Belgrad filter?

Worlds apart. The Jove is buttery and smooth and squelchy and has a classic Roland/acid sound. The Belgrade has loads more options and range, is more gritty and nasty and able to do lots of strange things, though I'd say isn't as lush as the jove and takes a lot more work to get thick rich sounding tones out of. The Jove you just sweep one knob on a saw/square and it sounds great.

Depends what you want, personally I sold the belgrad and kept the jove.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2