MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

printing paper circuits on PCB
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author printing paper circuits on PCB
doomed_wizard
Has anyone else tried printing the paper circuits and making actual PCBs with them? I'm making the rolls 5 for a school project and Ive etched and soldered everything up but can only get the oscillators to work. I also tried breadboarding some of the stuff using the schematics on Richard Brewsters website and even those won't work for me. I feel like the problem is the components I used but I cant think of any other reason why these aren't working out for me...
salocinnomis
MengQi makes a complete PCB for the Rollz5+, but it's unavailable right now.. I badly want to build a complete one too waah Thinking of going the paper way (i'll be able to add a few things, but wiring will be a mess..).
You might want to ask in the facebook group (ciat lonbarde addicts) with more details.
Which circuit doesn't work?
Try to make at least one functioning roll (which is easy), check that it actually send pulses, then make a filter of your choice, check if it works by connecting one of the roll output to it, then build the other circuits testing them one after the other.

Edit: Just saw you said the "oscillators" work, seems like your only problem would be the rollz then? Shouldn't be too hard to troubleshoot..
fluxmonkey
i've done laser transfers of the paper circuits to make home-etched PCBs. had to do some editing in photoshop to fatten up the traces, but it worked well
doomed_wizard
salocinnomis wrote:
MengQi makes a complete PCB for the Rollz5+, but it's unavailable right now..
Which circuit doesn't work?
Try to make at least one functioning roll (which is easy), check that it actually send pulses, then make a filter of your choice, check if it works by connecting one of the roll output to it, then build the other circuits testing them one after the other.

Sadly I'm not allowed to use kits or ready made circuit boards for the project. I opted to print my own as opposed to using a milling machine (could've also just done a poor job printing haha) I'm using a 5 and 6 roll and both of those work as they're supposed to (except I find I can't use both electrolytic and green polys for the hairy caps in the same circuit) I'm going to bust out the old multi meter and take some measurements and see whats up. It's only the filters that don't work and I've tested each one separately with the rolls. I'll look into the Facebook group and see if anybody can help me there. Thanks
doomed_wizard
fluxmonkey wrote:
i've done laser transfers of the paper circuits to make home-etched PCBs. had to do some editing in photoshop to fatten up the traces, but it worked well

all I do when I print them out if flip the image and do a toner transfer onto some copper clad pcb boards then thicken up the lines and holes with a paint marker. It gets the job done and I'm pretty happy with the results I get especially with other circuits that I do the same with. I've narrowed down my problems mostly to just faulty components or components not properly getting soldered due to the holes I drilled fucking up some of the traces. I am completely confident with my soldering skills I think I may have just rushed myself/ got burnt out from doing nothing but etching and soldering for days straight haha. Also thinking about redrawing the PCBs to look normal as opposed to the crazy Peter B layouts (although my teacher likes how crazy those PCBs look)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1