MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Joranalogue COMPARE 2 - Dual Window Comparator +DivKid VIDEO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Joranalogue COMPARE 2 - Dual Window Comparator +DivKid VIDEO
joranalogue
Available now! https://joranalogue.com/pages/dealers

A comparator beyond compare

The window comparator is a very useful circuit building block that is common in general electronics, but rarely found in modular synths. While a regular comparator activates when the input signal voltage is higher than a threshold level, a window comparator checks if the voltage is between two levels (these form the 'window').

Compare 2 combines two such comparators and a logic section in 8 HP. The result is an advanced tool for extracting gates and pulses from analogue signals in Eurorack synths.

The detection windows are defined by the shift and size parameters, which can be varied using the knobs and CV inputs. Complementary gate outputs are available, with big three-colour LEDs showing each comparator's status.

All inputs are normalised from the left section to the right, but the two comparators can also be used completely independently. On the bottom, the outputs from both comparators are combined in various ways by the logic section, which also features LEDs.

You'll find a use for this truly multi-functional module in practically any patch, processing either CV or audio: complex rhythm generator, dual pulse width modulator, frequency multiplier/divider with PWM, digital ‘ring modulator’ with PWM, dynamic depth VCO synchronizer, voltage controlled swing, logic function array with adjustable thresholds... and many more applications waiting to be discovered!

[s]https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/compare-2-pwm-glitch[/s]
[s]https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/compare-2-real-robot-groove[/s]
 [s]https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/compare-2-pulsing-tides[/s]
Lots more on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/sets/compare-2 (thanks to my brilliant test users for sending these in!)

More info: https://joranalogue.com/products/compare-2
ModularGrid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalogue-audio-design-compare-2

Pricing: €180 / £160 / $210 (MSRP)
8 HP, 30 mm deep
timoka
ah cool, looks exactly like the comparator i'm looking for!
what voltage are the gates out?

EDIT: nevermind, found it in the manual, it's +5V.
doskonale
Looks really useful ! And i like the nice Serge-style leds.

Good job !

love
BillyB909
This looks sweet. Is it genuinely sold out or is it simply the stock isn’t in yet?
joranalogue
BillyB909 wrote:
This looks sweet. Is it genuinely sold out or is it simply the stock isn’t in yet?

Just announced the module, going into production really soon! It should be ready to go in 3-4 weeks. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Wish my webstore would allow me to hide the 'sold out' label for products that aren't released yet. wink
Dcramer
Dual window comparators with voltage controlled shift and size! we're not worthy brilliant!
Mikeyg3k
Will Control have this Joran?

I am really happy with the Switch 4! and would love to check this out!!!

Great designs. !!!
BaloErets
This looks really impressive! On the top of my shopping list now! Love the design too. Great job! nanners
TemplarK
This looks awesome! Actually just such a thoughtful design this is going to be popular i think once people catch on to it!
joranalogue
Cheers everyone for the response. I'm excited to see what other applications people will come up with once they're available - still scratching the surface myself after a year of development.

Mikeyg3k wrote:
Will Control have this Joran?

I am really happy with the Switch 4! and would love to check this out!!!

Great designs. !!!

They should, but ultimately it's the dealers' choice which modules to stock. Although I think they wouldn't want to miss out on this one. wink
joranalogue
New demo video: Multi-Pulse Width Modulation

Compare 2 can generate much more elaborate PWM tones than a basic pulse width modulator. Sending a single VCO sine wave to both window comparators results in growing, shrinking and shifting pulse waveforms on the outputs, modulated using the knobs and CV inputs. The video starts using the XOR output, then switches to the FF output, and finally back to XOR with LFO modulation of one comparator's size parameter.

vibralux
Wow - excellent idea. Plus - I am loving these huge leds - just like on Serge modules I used to own nanners
joranalogue
Things get funky as we patch Compare 2 for dynamic depth sync of a single sine oscillator!

Using Compare 2, any VCO can be given soft-synchronization capability with dynamic depth. The master and slave VCO signals are patched to the two window comparator inputs. The XOR output is then used to frequency modulate the slave VCO via a VCA, which provides voltage control over the sync depth. Both VCOs are controlled by a sequencer, and the VCA is driven from an envelope generator. The only sound source is the slave sine VCO, modulated by Compare 2.

nrg242
A+ for the example videos. really shows some useful scenarios and demystifies things for someone like myself that starts to get nervous when looking at logic functions. looks really intriguing.
joranalogue
nrg242 wrote:
A+ for the example videos. really shows some useful scenarios and demystifies things for someone like myself that starts to get nervous when looking at logic functions. looks really intriguing.

Glad you like them, because here's a new one: turn your boring envelope generator into a chaotic modulation source using Compare 2!

An envelope generator's output is sent to both window comparator inputs, while the flip-flop (FF) output goes back to the EG's gate input. The envelope will now oscillate between two boundary levels, as determined by Compare 2's windows. In this patch, the envelope controls the FM depth between two VCOs. Additionally, the AND and XOR outputs each modulate one of them as well. Controlling any window parameter(s) with a LFO quickly results in a chaotic patch.

peripatitis
so i was wondering, can this be used as a PLL?
joranalogue
peripatitis wrote:

It should be able to work as a phase comparator. Add a slew and VCO, and you've got a PLL. This may be something to explore for the next video. wink
peripatitis
joranalogue wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

It should be able to work as a phase comparator. Add a slew and VCO, and you've got a PLL. This may be something to explore for the next video. wink

Nice, Thank you!
boramx
this is ace.

perfect design, and feature set. little tight, though!

good work!
joranalogue
Compare 2 has arrived! You can get yours now from the Joranalogue webstore (EU only) or any of these these fine retailers:

And don't forget to check out the awesome introduction video by ben_hex aka DivKid:

nanners
TemplarK
Will a DiY version be available at some point?
bemushroomed
Seems like a lot of fun, ordered! w00t
joranalogue
TemplarK wrote:
Will a DiY version be available at some point?

No DIY version is planned for now; it's a very tight SMT design.

bemushroomed wrote:
Seems like a lot of fun, ordered! w00t

Cheers! w00t
joranalogue
Another brilliant application for Compare 2: stereo distortion! Check out the new demo recording below.

Quote:
Using C2 as a stereo distortion unit. A TB-303's output signal is sent to window comparator 1, and the same signal put phase shifted to comparator 2. The outputs form a stereo pair. Each channel is sent through its own lowpass filter, being frequency modulated by the C2 XOR and FF outputs respectively. Using VCAs, snappy envelopes are applied to the FM signals.

Seems this one's really resisting being embedded, so just click here: https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/compare-2-303-stereo-distortion?in= joranalogue/sets/compare-2
bemushroomed
Why is the "ringmod" described as digital? Isn't this module analog?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2