MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Jumping In... 0-Coast or modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Jumping In... 0-Coast or modules?
909one
Hey there! First thread, been lurking for a while though.

(Sorry the search function doesn't seem to working, as I'm guessing this has maybe been covered before. Anyway...)

I am guitar player, who's been in and out of synths ever since the 90's, but the bug has really hit me hard this time. I'm really bored with guitar stuff, I've bought and sold tons of instruments and effects in the last ten years, but I've just hit a wall with the effects, not getting very inspired by anything lately in the guitar realm.

I've always also really interested in the permutations available from synthesis, but I'm already starting to get bored by the closed architecture of the synths I have. I've got a Korg Minilogue and a Minibrute. I also have a Korg SQ-1 which I've been using to clock the two synths and sequence the Minibrute. In the past I've had a Moog Mother, Volca Keys, a Mopho, an Akai AX-60, a Uni-Vox MiniKorg, various Juno's, and a Moog Source, so I'm quite familiar with synths in general. But in the end I just keep finding that some of those (aside from the Mother 32) got kind of stagnant. So I'm thinking the next step is go modular, as it seems the permutations are endless.

I'll have about $500 to work with from sales of guitar pedals to start. I'm wondering if its best to just jump right in, buy the TipTop Happy Ending kit, and then pick up one or two modules used to compliment the Minibrute. Or to contrast, the Make Noise 0-Coast seems like it has way more functionality for the price and may get me further to start. I've seen people rack mount it, but it takes a little modding. So it would still be a good entry point, no?

For reference, I'm looking for something Buchla inspired right now. I've got the tones I need to get a nice subtractive sound at the moment. Should I jump into the 0-Coast or perhaps get an oscillator with some wave folding and a low pass gate to start???

Thanks in advance!
akairipper
Ocoast. Teach you a lot. Give you an understanding of what you want or don't.it sounds amazing. It's great value. Resale value is good if you decide you don't like or want to go euro.
I got 8 linear meters of euro and I learned shitloads more in a faster time with my 2 ocoasts.

F
hermbot
Agreed, get the 0-Coast. It's a terrific starting point.
BeatAboutTheHead
I have 0 Coast and an SQ 1. I don't like the SQ1 really at all. Its borrrrring. I am using the 0 Coast as a starting off point for building a system for live performance. Well at least that's what I want to do right now. My mind will surely change many times during the building/planing process.
My first purchases toward building my first system will include a case and the Intellijel Metropolis. That thing to so awesome. If I cant find one used I will prolly get a Voltage Block.
I am hooked on modular and I dont own any modules yet, just a 0 Coast. Its like ever doing drugs and then getting hooked on cocaine from just reading and watching videos of people snorting.
moremagic
the 0-coast is not a bad instrument but it doesn't sound like what you want, and you're just wasting your money buying something that's not what you want. actual modules are always easier to incorporate into the rack than external gear, no matter how nicely it can interface.

plan something on modular grid, browse around the eurorack forum, buy a 2HP Trim in the meantime cuz its a passive dual attenuator and wont need a case and will make the SQ-1 and microbrute play much more nicely together Miley Cyrus
mattb80
Anyone know how to set the 0 Coast midi channel so it doesn't transmit on all channels? I have it midi'd to my Elektron Digitak and it's on all of the channels instead of channel 12. Can't figure out the setting for it.
starthief
moremagic wrote:
the 0-coast is not a bad instrument but it doesn't sound like what you want, and you're just wasting your money buying something that's not what you want.

???

0-Coast can definitely create similar sounds to what the OP was talking about.
lud
If you want to go modular, go modular and build it up bit by bit. Try and grab some bargains here
moremagic
starthief wrote:
moremagic wrote:
the 0-coast is not a bad instrument but it doesn't sound like what you want, and you're just wasting your money buying something that's not what you want.

???

0-Coast can definitely create similar sounds to what the OP was talking about.
sound has nothing to do with it, the 0-coast will always be a 0-coast and it sounds like the op wants more
lud wrote:
If you want to go modular, go modular and build it up bit by bit. Try and grab some bargains here
smile
eclectics
I think the 0-coast is a great instrument, even moreso if youre attracted to buchla, because of its west coastyness. Its very approachable. Its well supported with videos both from Make Noise and from others-- this is good, because most modular videos show a different set of modules than what you have, which makes it harder to learn. It works fine on your lap on the couch.

Its like having 4 or 5 modules that work together really well. Watch the videos to see the huge range of soudns you can get from it.

And it interoperates perfectly with euro without having to rack it (unelss you want to).

If you get it, i'd suggest some stackcables to go with it. And sending the output out some reverb and delay pedals is nice.
JakoGreyshire
BeatAboutTheHead wrote:
I have 0 Coast and an SQ 1. I don't like the SQ1 really at all. Its borrrrring. .

The SQ-1 is deeper than it looks... With different modules in combination, the SQ-1 can do some double back flips in fact... I was thinking about getting another one, but I want to keep most of the modules in the case for live shows.. Easy setup is my goal..
s.l.o.w
The 0-coast is a great little unit, but this Euro stuff is dangerous. I'm also a longtime guitarist, wanted to expand my sound palette, and first bought a 0-coast thinking it'll tide me over for a while. Less than a year later, my Euro rig is approaching 18U x 104HP... And FWIW, I've been having a lot of fun integrating guitar (and vocals) into the modular stuff. So if you think you might ever expand beyond a single 0-coast, maybe think about starting right off with modular and growing as you see fit.
yeatsvisitslincoln
I started out with an 0-coast as a beginner and it taught me a lot, but it only took me two months to start building a synth. You can always sell the 0-coast, though and put that towards more modules. Personally, I think that's the way to go.
Squibs
I'm the same, a guitarist. Over the last few years getting volcas and microbrute, then got the 0 coast this summer thinking it would be a new direction, but it wasn't easy getting in to it, and I saw more and more uses for all it's functions inside a eurorack. More so than within its self. At least for the music i want to make. Last weekend I got my first rack, 84hp 6u, and it's getting exciting!
lisa
After years and years of modular resistance I got a 0-coast and it broke through my defence. I use my 0-coast and my eurorack all the time now and I wouldn’t want to part from any of them.
franman69
If you're looking for a versatile compliment to subtractive, then the 0 Coast is an awesome way to go... Don't worry about rack mounting it. As you grow, you will appreciate it being outside the rack. It's powerful, sounds great and plays well the rest of my mid-large modular.. don't hesitate as it's a ton of bang for the buck.
moremagic
nobody has said the 0-coast is a bad instrument, but if you know you actually want a modular, actually get a modular. this is only controversial for those with unlimited wallets and unlimited deskspace i would have thought
misterphoneman
I bought a 0-Coast (my first modular encounter) AND a System Cartesian within a month! I spent the time waiting on my Cartesian to come in, practicing and learning on my 0-Coast. Had I known then what I know now, I probably would've held off on the Cartesian and messed around a bit more with the 0-Coast so that I could get a better feel for what I was doing and exactly which direction I wanted to travel from there.

The reason I say that is because now I realize that I wanted a more East Coast synth then what the Cartesian gave me and I spent even more money swapping out modules after the fact. But at the end of the day, it was a good fast track learning experience, just depends on ones budget.
helixx_w
mattb80 wrote:
Anyone know how to set the 0 Coast midi channel so it doesn't transmit on all channels? I have it midi'd to my Elektron Digitak and it's on all of the channels instead of channel 12. Can't figure out the setting for it.

I believe you can do that using the Max For Live plugin from within Ableton if you have that. You put the plug in on a midi channel, point the midi channel to your 0-coast and it will send the sysex commands to set it all up the way you want. I have mine on channel two for the same reason you mentioned.

to speak to the thread, I bought a 0-coast last year and it was a great way to get started. Right now, I am getting a modular rack together and the 0-coast fits right in in several ways --

Its a subtractive synth voice that I can easily patch into anything
I can use it to pass through midi triggers (midi into the 0-coast and then use the device's CV and GATE out to power rack modules)
Use any of the device's features like envelope generation or LFO stuff to trigger events in my modular rack.

It's like having 4 extra standalone modules that you can patch anywhere you want. Yes there are limitations but I've been using it as a sort of Swiss Army Knife while I build up my rack.
WiffSnuggler
Just get it. 0-coast is great. If you don't like it sell it.
909one
I forgot I posted this thread. Ha. Came back and saw all these great responses.
So, I decided to buy a 0-Coast. I love it.

After spending some time with the 0-Coast, I'm glad I bought that first rather than jumping into modules. I got to jump right into making sound without having to worry about the setup of a modular system. It gets you thinking about what you'd actually need to add to this synth, to make a system, while you are in a real life situation as opposed to just jumping to for the first time. Plus, this synth has a very distinct voice, and really gets you thinking beyond subtractive stuff.

So I decided I want to keep going in this direction of modular. I sold the Minibrute, I didn't really end up liking the sound of it after all. I sold my Korg Minilogue as well. I realized the sound is a little bland to me and I think in general I just feel slightly uninspired by closed architecture synths.

I'm building a small semi-modular system to start. Got some rack rails, tip top power supply, and bought a used Pittsburgh Synth Box as a second voice. Its also semi-modular but completely patchable. I also got a Keystep as well. I'm going to rack the 0-Coast next to the Pittsburgh and use the Keystep and the SQ-1 for control of each of these synths. I've got a small Behringer mixer. It actually takes Modular levels well actually. I've been used the mixer to send to my guitar pedals with a send. In fact I've got a Malekko Sneak Attack, which is essentially a cycling slope generator with a VCA, and I've been sending a gate signal from the SQ-1 to create envelope patterns on the Sneak Attack to play guitar through, and its in sync to the sequences of the synth stuff.

I look forward to getting fully dedicated modules as money allows, but for me, grabbing some semi-modular stuff first makes the most sense.
BlackSheep0507
I'm kind of in the same predicament, but I think I'm just going to jump into modular, since the soft synths I'm using (Kaivo and Aalto) mean that I don't think an 0-Coast will suffice for me and I'll get bored of it pretty quickly.
misterphoneman
Yeah the one thing I think MN really dropped the ball on with the 0-Coast was adding the ability to run external VCO's through the Overtone section. That would've been killer!
thesevensteves
same as @misterphoneman. started with an 0-coast/sq-1 and now I've slowly morphed into something resembling a Shared System. if i were to do it all over again, i would do the same. the Make Noise youtube channel has been an indispensable tool.
Estes
listen to demos of the 0 coast, make your research. If you like most of the sounds you hear then go for it, if not search a little longer until you find the one module that pleases your ears.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2