MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pico Logic: does not trigger with Make Noise modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Pico Logic: does not trigger with Make Noise modules
windchill
I have a strange problem with my Pico Logic and I'm wondering if any of you are having the same issue.

The problem is this: none of the gates/triggers from Make Noise modules trigger the Pico Logic.

With other modules the Pico Logic works fine (Doepfer, WMD, Intelijel, etc) but not with Maths, Brains, Wogglebug, Rene or Pressure points.
Neither the S&H nor the Logic functions work.

BUT... if I run the Make Noise gates/triggers through a buffered mult, a VCA, a 4MS Signal mingler or a Maths channel, then the Pico will trigger.
My first thought was that this indicated that the Make Noise gate voltage was too low, but this is not the case, I measured the output at 10V, perhaps a little more. I'm wondering if maybe that's the problem, that the voltage is too high rather than too low (the Pico Logic manual states that the max input voltage is 10v).

I don't want to use up valuable modules just to get the Pico Logic to trigger, in the case of wanting to use the Pico Set/Reset function with Brains I would need 2 intervening modules to make it work.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Any ideas?

The problem is there in 3 different cases so I don't think it's a power supply issue.

For what it's worth Make Noise modules clock the Pico Seq with no problems at all.
buzzbuzz
I had the same issue attempting to use Tempi with Pico logic. Tempi's output was reading 10.2v when I measured so it's too much.
Its a bummer.
defenestration
I find those junky attenuator cables pretty useful in situations like these, they help modules play nice together in a set-and-forget way without sacrificing rackspace
windchill
defenestration wrote:
I find those junky attenuator cables pretty useful in situations like these, they help modules play nice together in a set-and-forget way without sacrificing rackspace

Thanks for that! I was just wondering if I should buy a 2hp Trim module to sit next to the Pico Logic - but I may grab an attenuator cable or two instead.
dumbledog
Yeah I ran into the same crap when I first tried my Pico.
Rainer
Same thing with TriggerRiot!!!
Got my brand new PicoLogic today. Purchased it mainly as a compagnon for TriggerRiot. But - surprise! PicoLogic don´t like the gates from TriggerRiot!

Shit, should have red this postings first....
Marta SmiLga
Hi!
It seems that the Trigger Riot's and Maths' (and some other modules') outputs have too high impedance. To make the trigg/gate signal able to trigger the Pico Logic, you should send it through a buffered mult, amplifier etc. I'm not sure about these attenuator cables, but if some of you have tried them and it works, then it's ok.
Rainer
Hi Marta,

sorry, I think it´s the other way around.... if all modules in my rack can handle TriggerRiot`s / Tempi`s gates, I think PicoLogic should also be capable to do that!!!

At least you/Erica Synths are selling a dedicated logic-module for gates to the people. Probably you should do some rework there....
Marta SmiLga
Rainer wrote:
At least you/Erica Synths are selling a dedicated logic-module for gates to the people. Probably you should do some rework there....

Thank you! We'll keep that in mind!
buzzbuzz
Is there some sort of firmware update that could be implemented to sort this out?
Marta SmiLga
At the moment there is no much information about this issue, but we will figure this out!
buzzbuzz
Marta SmiLga wrote:
At the moment there is no much information about this issue, but we will figure this out!

Thank you Marta!
pugix
This needs a proper explanation. I do not think that the higher voltage pulse output would cause this. It must be something else, probably related to input and output impedance. I suggest contacting both Make Noise and Erica Synths about it. Let the EEs explain it.
Xinod
Can anyone confirm passive attenuators could fix the problem?
dumbledog
I can confirm. Channel 4 of Math's EOC doesn't trigger Pico Logic's OR mode by itself, but works when fed through a passive WMD/SSF Quad Atten. In fact it even works when run through an unbuffered mult, but won't work just from a stackable, Hosa hopscotch or one of those rockstar things.

Oddly enough, channel 1's EOR works just by itself. Shit's weird.
Rainer
I dont have any passive attenuators in my rack but it works with Cascade from Fonitronic. Unbuffered mults are not working, at least not with TriggerRiot......
Xinod
Thanks, that’s odd
but if it works through a passive attenuators one can even think about making a special cable with a fixed resistor, to save hp
fields
Same here.
Would be really nice to know if a firmware update can fix this.
I just got mine and can still send it back.
pugix
fields wrote:
Same here.
Would be really nice to know if a firmware update can fix this.
I just got mine and can still send it back.

You think it's the Pico Logic. I would be surprised if it's a firmware issue. More likely to be an input circuit issue. I would ask Erica Synths about it.
RubberGong
Any news on this? Wanting to buy a logic module ...
dumbledog
Not much news to be had I'm afraid. Run it through an attenuator first is all you can do.

Great module apart from that confused
tebs213
Buffered mults have always worked for me in situations with gate compatibility issues.
fields
I sent mine back to Schneidersladen. Their technician (..thanks, Egor, if your reading here), confirmed it had problems with Tempi and Maths EOC for him as well. Also, he put 10,5V in with another module without problems.
He's asking Erica and MakeNoise about it. Will update you once he gets back to me or I know more.
js213
I ran into the same issue when using my Verbos modules with the Sputnik Quad Function & Trigger Source. The gate outputs wouldn't trigger the function generators, unless I first ran them through a buffered mult, a passive attenuator, or a Maths channel.
shoottofill
I'm eyeing pico logic hard right now, so I hope we get more of an answer on this
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2