MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla Tsnm - touch sensing note memory
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Buchla Tsnm - touch sensing note memory
captnapalm
Precarious wrote:
Did anyone set up a Mouser list of components?

Wondering what the final cost is and if I should attempt as my first build.

This is the Mouser cart I ordered. I haven't built it yet so please double check before ordering. I had to substitute a couple out of stock items.

[edit: don't order my cart!]

Additionally I spent $19 on the teensy and $4 via eBay (China) for the breakout board.
Precarious
cygmu wrote:

Don't know about the cost but if you have not done some surface mount soldering before i would not recommend this. Apart from the quite small (0603) passives, there is the fine-pitch DAC IC to handle. Definitely doable but not ideal for a first build IMO.

Drat! Surface mount is what killed my last hope for a first build. I chickened out because of it. Thanks for the heads up!
Precarious
captnapalm wrote:

This is the Mouser cart I ordered. I haven't built it yet so please double check before ordering. I had to substitute a couple out of stock items.
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=fdf3 4a2375

Additionally I spent $19 on the teensy and $4 via eBay (China) for the breakout board.

Thank you! Appreciate it. Very helpful. It's looking like I'll need someone to build for me or maybe I'll be brave and struggle through the surface mounts.
numan7
so cool (and compact)! i noticed while browsing around for parts that pcb-panel sets for this can be pre-ordered from modular addict, btw.

https://modularaddict.com/format/buchla/doboz-tsnm4u-pcp

cheers
captnapalm
FYI, if you ordered the BOM before today, there was an incorrect part number listed for R14. It should be 33k but the p/n was for a 36k. I've let Doboz know and they've fixed the BOM with the correct number for 33k.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wTjMZEeQVLxQaCWbrFLtrWZ9dqD8X-Gh/view
taijmanman
pitch did not move. I ordered a new black MPR121.
550b
Rats. I've already placed the 36k there. Still finishing up the rest.

Anyone with a completed build find this to be a problem? Would prefer to avoid shipping a single SMD resistor from Mouser.... very frustrating

captnapalm wrote:
FYI, if you ordered the BOM before today, there was an incorrect part number listed for R14. It should be 33k but the p/n was for a 36k. I've let Doboz know and they've fixed the BOM with the correct number for 33k.
ArguZ
you can sand a bit off one side and make it less resistant wink
ArguZ
As i am no fan of 603 and Mate gave us such generous footprints i build my TSNMs with 805.
Please find a cart here, I also added the Teensy as less orders are just my thing.
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=D989 B8D2A2
Aso i suggest to adjust the color of the bananas.
You need one blue, one red, one purple and one orange if you wanna stick to Don's schema.
yan6
What are J1 and J2 for seriously, i just don't get it
synthi
ArguZ wrote:
As i am no fan of 603 and Mate gave us such generous footprints i build my TSNMs with 805.
Please find a cart here, I also added the Teensy as less orders are just my thing.
https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=D989 B8D2A2
Aso i suggest to adjust the color of the bananas.
You need one blue, one red, one purple and one orange if you wanna stick to Don's schema.

Thanks!!
So 805 smd size is fine for thw 4U build??
Leturbo
yan6 wrote:
What are J1 and J2 for seriously, i just don't get it

Apparently those are for pin headers if you want the jacks to be easy to disconnect. You can either use them or ignore completely and just solder into the vias.

I built one of these things as my first fully SMT job for my Serge Random*Source system... and it works with zero headaches... I'm still in total shock.

In case anyone cares--the 4U module works fine with 12v. If you don't have a 5V rail (as I do not) you just populate the OPTIONAL parts as per the BOM (not connecting to the 5V rail at all).
pickleinn
Finished 2 of these builds and both have the same issue:
Everything works as expected - can calibrate, touch pads work, CV out works, Pulse Out works, clock works.

Pressure is at a -13V on both units. I am stumped. What did i mess up twice? Schematic is simple (though not sure what the black circles with the X in the middle are).

Any thoughts?
synthi
pickleinn wrote:
Everything works as expected - can calibrate, touch pads work, CV out works, Pulse Out works, clock works.

Pressure is at a -13V on both units. I am stumped. What did i mess up twice? Schematic is simple (though not sure what the black circles with the X in the middle are).

Any thoughts?

A friend of mine told me last week he had the same issue... and was an unconnected pin to the teensy, seem that there is a pin not in line with all the other ones???
pickleinn
synthi wrote:
pickleinn wrote:

Any thoughts?

A friend of mine told me last week he had the same issue... and was an unconnected pin to the teensy, seem that there is a pin not in line with all the other ones???

Thanks - will give that a shot.
There are several traces that are very small so i can see not getting a good joint. I have a column of LED's out too (middle) on both - seems like an easy fix, but the traces are so small.
pickleinn
That didn't work for either module. Spent time really making sure that the joints looked good and reflowed. Not sure what to do now.

I am getting positive pressure response out of the tensy......It starts at .15 and the more I press on any pad the lower it goes (maybe .12). Feels inverted but ok, at least it isn't negative and static at -13.

This can't be that hard, there are only a few components downstream - has to be a bad joint.
captnapalm
I would look around IC1 and IC5. Make sure they're correct and oriented correctly, and there are no solder bridges around there. They're the main two components receiving -15V as far as I can tell, both on pin 4.

pickleinn
captnapalm wrote:
I would look around IC1 and IC5. Make sure they're correct and oriented correctly, and there are no solder bridges around there. They're the main two components receiving -15V as far as I can tell, both on pin 4.

Thanks for the awesome picture. Still having issues though. So i started tracing back from R6 (the input to the TL072) all the way to the Teensy and I think i see an issue. These are supposed to connect, huh? I missed a header pin it appears. hihi

synthi
pickleinn wrote:
captnapalm wrote:

Thanks for the awesome picture. Still having issues though. So i started tracing back from R6 (the input to the TL072) all the way to the Teensy and I think i see an issue. These are supposed to connect, huh? I missed a header pin it appears. hihi

Yes!! That is what I told you!!! hihi
pickleinn
Haha, I just re-read your post and it is perfectly clear now. The first time I read it I just reflowed all the solder joints thinking you meant just a faulty solder from the teensy.

Thanks for the tip! Sorry I read what I wanted to instead of what you really said applause
Laughing
I sure hope people haven't been plugging these MPR121 boards in willy-nilly, because those silkscreen legends don't line up at all. I got this board from the source, Adafruit, and I don't know who to put my frustration on: Adafruit for changing the footprint of the board, or Doboz for not checking. Regardless, revisions happen, and hopefully when Doboz does another run of boards, he'll see this and change it.

TL;DR: Current MPR121 boards (sold by Adafruit at least) do not have the right footprint, apparently

Laughing
Also, how have people been doing the Dot Matrix displays? Do you make them flush with the board or try and bring them up as close under the panel as possible?
pickleinn
Laughing wrote:
Also, how have people been doing the Dot Matrix displays? Do you make them flush with the board or try and bring them up as close under the panel as possible?

I tried both ways. I think just standing them off a bit and tacking them in is the best way. Gives you top and bottom access is you mess up one of those tiny traces too.
Laughing
Quick fix implemented!

beautyofdecay_
Laughing wrote:
I sure hope people haven't been plugging these MPR121 boards in willy-nilly, because those silkscreen legends don't line up at all. I got this board from the source, Adafruit, and I don't know who to put my frustration on: Adafruit for changing the footprint of the board, or Doboz for not checking. Regardless, revisions happen, and hopefully when Doboz does another run of boards, he'll see this and change it.

TL;DR: Current MPR121 boards (sold by Adafruit at least) do not have the right footprint, apparently

I looked on eBay for the MPR121 boards and noticed that the footprints were different between several vendors. I haven't received mine yet but I hope I ordered the right ones (if the picture was correct...)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5