MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Tube amp buzz
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Tube amp buzz
SmokyClap
I know tube amps tend to be noisy but I have a small amp from Carl's custom Amps that is basically unusable because of the noise.

I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with it. I don't want to call Carl unless I know there's an issue.

Does anyone know how to know for sure how to tell if a tube amp is too noisy?
Any tips on getting it to run more quietly?
Just me
Single or dual coils? Try it with dual coils. Change to a good cable. Make sure the mains are good and clean. re orient the amp. Turn off any florescent lamps.
SmokyClap
Could be the mains since I recently started plugging into a surge protector along with a slew of other gear. Will try your suggestions when I get home and report back.
controlFreak
Sounds like 60Hz hum... check your grounds! Some houses have noisy/bad wiring.

The other thing is lighting... florescents inject hum into whatever is around. Especially single coils, but also AMPS!
Kent
Before people issue additional guesses, could the OP describe the kind of noise or post a recording of it?

And why not just call Carl? It’s not as if doing so is some kind of transgression. You did just pay the man.
sduck
A properly built tube amp shouldn't be noisy. Bear in mind that a lot of tube amps built for guitar aren't really "properly built" though. People expect gain stages in their guitar amps, and gain stages add noise. Try the clean channel with the gain down, and no cord - is it noisy? Then maybe you have a problem. If it's not too bad, but gets bad when you plug in the guitar, then it's something in the signal chain, not the amp. Once you start adding gain, and additional gain stages, you'll start getting noise, and if there's any inherent noise from your signal chain that'll make it worse.

A noise gate can be a wonderful thing sometimes - I have a MXR smart gate, and while i don't use it much, for some stuff it's a godsend.
Jturbide
controlFreak wrote:
Sounds like 60Hz hum... check your grounds! Some houses have noisy/bad wiring.

^ True, my amp was kinda noisy at home and when I brought it to the Store to check it it didn't make any noise. Tried it in another house and it was also quiet..
gentle_attack
Kent wrote:
Before people issue additional guesses, could the OP describe the kind of noise or post a recording of it?

And why not just call Carl? It’s not as if doing so is some kind of transgression. You did just pay the man.

I was just about to say exactly this. Ya'll are literally just guessing. I had a combo where the speaker was rattling the poorly soldered tubes causing a crazy rattling noise. I'm being 100% honest when I say it took me several weeks to diagnose because of how much damn static there is in threads where people are having amp issues, and honestly only found it because I was searching rattle noise + fender hot rod deluxe and apparently it's quite common for that Mexico made amp. Anyways:

Video: required. Otherwise contact builder.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1