MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Help! Modular leaving the bedroom!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Author Help! Modular leaving the bedroom!
alexbarbed
I have stupidly set up a "band practice" with a drummer and a DJ type next week, the idea being that we'll do some space-rock type jamming. This means I'll be taking my suitcase out of its safety zone and 'playing it' with others. I normally start a patch from scratch and wiggle until I have something I like, which might take quite some time. Obviously that's not going to be much of a possibility next week... so what do you do? Do you set up a patch in advance and 'lay it on them'? Or maybe cheat a bit with some pre-prepared loops and stuff on Morphagene (or whatever) and roll them out when needed...

Don't get me wrong, I've done a lot of gigs in my time, but I've never done them with a modular. I've had everything all pre-planned or at least on-hand as a load of tweakable presets. I don't want to pretend (like a DJ playing a mix CD behind a massive console.) I'm wondering if I've made a mistake sad banana On the other hand, maybe it will just be chaos and I won't be asked back, which is also OK.
alexbarbed
In answer to my own question I've just seen the very next thread which is virtually identical... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188562 but feel free to help me anyway
authorless
I think I would go in with some patch ideas in mind, but not pre-patched. See what happens, where it goes.
xenosapien
I did something similar a while back with a drummer friend... biggest challenge was to give him some kind of "click" in his ear since a lot of what I do is semi-random and doesn´t follow a stright down-beat type of pattern...

Basically, I ended up duplicating one of my modular´s outputs and gave him just that isolated on a headphone output of my mixer.

After that, I knew that no matter what I did, he´d be able to adjust his tempo and rhythm to what he heard so I didn´t have to worry too much and just went apeshit with my patching.

I think I had one voice "pre-patched" (meaning I patched it up while the drummer was setting up) and ended up doing the rest on the fly - but it was a very small rig as you can see, so I only did two, maybe three "voices" more.

Since you make it sound like it´ll be less of a public show and more of a friendly jam, I wouldn´t worry about it too much in terms of pre-patching.

I think you´ll end up having much nicer results by experimenting together with your co-jammers and probably even come up with patch ideas you usually wouldn´t have had on your own!
morgve
So, how did it turn out smile?
alexbarbed
My car broke down so I had to leave the rig at home. I was reduced to borrowing a Moog Sub Phatty and jamming on that. It was fucking horrible. Another attempt in 2 weeks.
FNoise8
Rough one, keep us posted!
Curious to know where this will be going!
I'm thinking of getting into modular, but if there is a possebility it could be played with a drummer. That would make things alot more interesting.
Nightly Closures
Tap tempo for modulation source might be a good idea.
alexbarbed
FNoise8 wrote:
Rough one, keep us posted!
Curious to know where this will be going!
I'm thinking of getting into modular, but if there is a possebility it could be played with a drummer. That would make things alot more interesting.

Trying again in a week. The drummer said today "hey, why don't we try a sort of Depeche Mode thing?" I had to break it to him that it wasn't that sort of synth, and we wouldn't be making that sort of music.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Play Out! Performance Modulars  
Page 1 of 1