MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pairing Buchla modules with easel
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Pairing Buchla modules with easel
bishun
Hey wigglers, I'm looking for some advice. I have a Buchla 208r/218r in the process of being built, and a 10U hard case to house them! I'm trying to decide on which two Buchla modules to pair with the easel.

I know it's subjective, but I'd like to avoid overlap in functionality, while maximizing my sonic possibilities. Note: I will be adding a 208 toolbox and a BOB expander eventually.

So there you have it, which two Buchla modules do you recommend I add to my easel, and why?
sb
I'd probably go for a Sputnik 289 DDFX for its flexibility (oscillators, delay, reverbs, filters, etc). Hard to pick a second but I'd probably add a 259e for a different flavour over the Easel oscillators. I think this pair would add a lot of functionality.

Close contender for second place was the 291e ...just because I love that module. I kinda feel that the Easel might not have enough in the way of sound sources to make the best use of it though (and Easel has enough random of its own to not warrant the related 267e). Also i don't feel either would integrate with the Easel as well as the 259e does...hence the 259e wins for me.

Just my 2 cents.
noisejockey
I am taking a similar approach of an "Easel++", but have more room to play with (12U). Here's what I did.

- Extra oscillator: Something different in timbre than the mod osc for flexibility, piped right into LPG #2 in the 208. I wanted something primitive, raw, and weird, so I got a 158. But yeah, a 259 would be crazytown and different enough to be a strong complement.

- Buchla Blade with a CVGT1 and a Qu-Bit Octone. Now I have two sequencers, and a way to effortlessly sync with minijack analogue clock with needing an external format jumbler!

Those would fit your two spare spaces. I went further by adding a 281 and 292, so now I actually have up to four full voices (2 osc from the 208 and 2 osc from the 158), depending on how I patch things up.
from my experience...the easel is best left on it's own. I built a skylab to add on to the easel, but I found it detracted from the experience instead of adding to it since some of the best parts are the internalization of the easel.

For 200e stuff:

259e adds variety to oscillators, great addition. 261e is odd enough too on that note. Sequencer wise the 250e I'd suggest, but it won't fit, and the 251/252e are overkill.

Other modules just seem like too much for an easel.

non 200e stuff there's a lot, I don't know as much as others so will defer... but something with CV modulation(audio sculpting doesn't seem to make as much sense with the limited audio outs/ins on the easel). Although maybe a clouds buchla adaptation would be nice post easel output.
bishun
Thanks for the input so far everyone, all useful info to consider. Part of the problem is not having enough experience with the easel to know what makes sense. I will probably have those 2U blanked out for a bit while I familiarize myself, but having recommendations from buchla experts here to reflect on when the time comes will be great.

sb wrote:
I'd probably go for a Sputnik 289 DDFX for its flexibility (oscillators, delay, reverbs, filters, etc)...

If the 289 isn't overkill, that sounds like an awesome fit.

noisejockey wrote:

- Buchla Blade with a CVGT1 and a Qu-Bit Octone. Now I have two sequencers, and a way to effortlessly sync with minijack analogue clock with needing an external format jumbler!

I just came across the CVGT1 earlier today, and I may just have to go a similar route, with the 20 HP Euro Blade adapter. I have a lil Euro system as a playmate for the easel already.
bemerritt
Following, as my easel kit is in the mail. The 289 seems perfect, thanks for the suggestion. Easel pus effects is what i was thinking, and i dont really want to go the pedal route.
memes_33
just to play devil's advocate, i did not jive with the 289. it required a cheat sheet for me to know what the algorithms were, what the knobs did, what the outputs were, etc. i'm sure if you're using it often, you can remember, but i got rid of it for this reason.

2OC would be great, but you could always get the card version i think northern lights is releasing soon. 281 would be one of my top choices, along with another oscillator as suggested above.
MechaSeb
266 + 244
vgermuse
bishun wrote:
Hey wigglers, I'm looking for some advice. I have a Buchla 208r/218r in the process of being built, and a 10U hard case to house them! I'm trying to decide on which two Buchla modules to pair with the easel.

I know it's subjective, but I'd like to avoid overlap in functionality, while maximizing my sonic possibilities. Note: I will be adding a 208 toolbox and a BOB expander eventually.

So there you have it, which two Buchla modules do you recommend I add to my easel, and why?

. . . and . . . what kind of sound/music are you hoping to explore? the answer to that would definitely guide my choice of modules. w00t
sb
memes_33 wrote:
just to play devil's advocate, i did not jive with the 289. it required a cheat sheet for me to know what the algorithms were, what the knobs did, what the outputs were, etc. i'm sure if you're using it often, you can remember, but i got rid of it for this reason.

2OC would be great, but you could always get the card version i think northern lights is releasing soon. 281 would be one of my top choices, along with another oscillator as suggested above.

While 289 was my suggestion...there is truth in what memes_33 says. I tend to find myself drawn to specific programs (looper, reverb and oscillators). I can remember most of the settings for these without referring to the cheat sheet but do need to get it out if I want something different. This might cramp the immediacy of the Easel a bit. Still think it adds a lot to explore in a small package though!

The O+C card looks amazing !!!
mestlick
I wanted noise and a filter as my two extra modules, and somehow ended up with another 8 space case with 212r, 258r, 257r, and 245r modules. It is super fun to have another voice or two and the bigger programmer with the Easel. The 245 can serve like presets for different sections of a song.
captnapalm
I'd consider a 291e (triple morphing filter). It just seems like such an incredible module, and I believe it can self-oscillate, providing an additional voice.

I added a simple noise circuit to my 208 toolbox.
Orwell
on an alt side note: the easel seems to track really well with eurorack vcos and a simple passive converter box.
I've been using the easel keys and ad and randoms to track and trigger the dpo, sputnik oscs, verbos, mutable, o and c and so on. Then euro fed back into the easel lpgs and spring reverb
Vatican2
Northern Lights 2H9 and 2OC are both amazing with the easel. H9 much more functional than 289 IMHO.
odditymedium
hello necrobumpola!

what is the current thinking about this question i wanna pair an easel with 2 more moduels (or shall i do 4 more modules?) thinking of the zero halliburton 8U, 10U, or even 12U cases...

with 10U, i can add two modules, should i go for 2H9 and 289? too many reverbs?

is 2H9 really good?

i wanna do quadraphonics with my buchla, should i get more voices and a mixer of some sort? anything that can fit in 1U?
Fuzz
If I could only pair 2 modules in a 10U setting with an Easel, 2 effects processors like the 2H9 and 289 wouldn't be my first choice as you wouldn't have many CV options with the Easel to drive their functions. If your main focus is getting effects within your Buchla system then get a 281 and either the 2H9 or the 289. If you want more voices then get an oscillator (258r, 258e, 259e, 261e, 25S) and the 281/292h combo. One fun combo could be the 251e for expanded sequencing options, and a 267e to get noise, more flavors of random, and filtering.

If you want to do quadraphonic sound then you'll need to get the 227e and at least 12U of space.
odditymedium
thanks fuzz that answers my question real well

if you had to choose between the 2h9 or the 289, what would you choose?

289 seems really cool but some people didn't gel with it, cos it isn't easy to use?

why is 2H9 so amazing? sound quality? or that it is very intuitive? or does it have more options?
@green
i really like the 1979 modular stuff. All of their existing modules pair nicely with very little overlap. my easel complimentary case consists of 1979 digital resonator, stereo microsound processor, and dual algorithmic oscillator, and Roman 266r, 292c, 280r (has its charm even though 281 has more features) and 291r.

I am really happy with these modules and I think I am done for a long while. I loop so the arp on the 218 and SVS make up for not having a proper sequencer.
odditymedium
@green, where can i find these, somehow i missed 1979 buchla?
tailwagger
https://www.modulargrid.net/u/vendors/view/707

If you are interested in the 281 or 292 don't forget about the "h" modules. They are half high so you could have a Dual Function Generator and Dual Lopass Gate in the space of one module.
ArguZ

Some options...then again...i would probably add a TSNM to have some kind of keyboard
odditymedium
arguz, are you northern light modular?

could you tell me what modules you have in this boat? and is it the standard boat
gaslampmusehog
Here are some threads that may be of interest

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180793

Northern Light Modular
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180798
ArguZ
odditymedium wrote:
arguz, are you northern light modular?

Yes, me and Marc Borri

could you tell me what modules you have in this boat? and is it the standard boat

Sure..but going into detail here would be a long list
This was our demo case in Berlin..
It shows off almost everything we have in the small h series format.
Some might pair well, others are there just for completeness.
It is probably easier to look at them here :
https://northernlightmodular.com/product-category/h-series/

I am really fond of the hFD (the drums) the hOC (another Ornaments) and the hMM (a mixer) as that adds tons of modulation and percussion to the music box.
Also it is fun to play with wink
And then there is of course the hCO which is a classic oscillator and the hPF
which brings a bunch of filters if you are looking for more stable sound .

One thing, we added a second PSU (211) into the lower boat as the internal one is not ready to run more than four units...both space and power wise.
@green
odditymedium wrote:
@green, where can i find these, somehow i missed 1979 buchla?

https://1979.ws

and some demos I made that really don't scratch the surface

my case was self made with the help of member Boops' easel kit and an old zero halliburton
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1