MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bigsby
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Bigsby
Chuck E. Jesus
put a Bigsby licensed vibro bar on my Epi Sheraton last night, im really digging it so far...here's a pic:

kinda jazzes it up a bit, loads of fun....
dkcg
Nice! I always liked Bigsbys. I was gonna get a country gentleman, but then modular came along. lol

Is that the standard guitar bridge? You gotta get one of the roller bridges if they stick. Gotta play some Eddie Cochran with that bigsby! smile
Muff Wiggler
very nice, that is a gorgeous guitar!
Chuck E. Jesus
dkcg wrote:
Nice! I always liked Bigsbys. I was gonna get a country gentleman, but then modular came along. lol

Is that the standard guitar bridge? You gotta get one of the roller bridges if they stick. Gotta play some Eddie Cochran with that bigsby! smile

standard bridge, haven't had a problem...if i start breaking strings i'll look into it, but the ones i've seen are kinda pricey, haven't run across a knock-off as of yet....
Kent
Noice! Soupy Reverb Vibrato Swells ahead!
Chuck E. Jesus
Muff Wiggler wrote:

thanks...it's a '99, the neck seems much nicer than the newer ones (to me)...got it with a hardshell case at a pawnshop for $250, i used to have a brownburst that got stolen, i suppose the deal karma came thru for me ... lplays like BUTTA BABY w00t
Cat-A-Tonic
Looks nice. Very Chuck Berry. 8)

I've long considered doing that to my '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom.
Somehow I just can't bring myself to put holes in it.
I guess there are some similar tremolos that don't require new holes though.

Quote:
I was gonna get a country gentleman, but then modular came along.

I too have lusted after Gretsch. love
I think the mint green anniversary model looks damn fine.

Quote:
Gotta play some Eddie Cochran with that bigsby!

It's good to see some other appreciators of rockabilly here. Rockin' Banana!
dkcg
ross g wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:

thanks...it's a '99, the neck seems much nicer than the newer ones (to me)...got it with a hardshell case at a pawnshop for $250, i used to have a brownburst that got stolen, i suppose the deal karma came thru for me ... lplays like BUTTA BABY w00t

Sweet deal. I LOVE how hollowbodies (and semi hollowbodies) sound, especially through a nice Fender amp like a showman or twin wet with reverb and a tape delay...yum. I may be a synth dude now, but I love some good fingerpicking and that slapback rockabilly/psychobilly sound.
dkcg
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:

It's good to see some other appreciators of rockabilly here. Rockin' Banana!

if it's 12 bars and I IV V with a blue note thrown in, I'm there!

I wonder what Link Ray would have done with some of the "disgusting" gritty sounds a synth can make. Maybe he would have hated synths...who knows.
dkcg
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Looks nice. Very Chuck Berry. 8)

I've long considered doing that to my '81 Gibson Les Paul Custom.
Somehow I just can't bring myself to put holes in it.
I guess there are some similar tremolos that don't require new holes though.

I could swear that they have another model that floats and is just the nut at the end holding it on, for the hollowbody guitars. I think the one on the front page of their website doesn't need drilling on the face, but I could be wrong.
http://www.bigsbyguitars.com/index.php

I like how LesPauls look with a bigsby, but I think I'd rather get the Gretsch DuoJet, played one once, man o man...
Chuck E. Jesus
dkcg wrote:

Is that the standard guitar bridge? You gotta get one of the roller bridges if they stick.

after living with it for a week i think i may need a different bridge, but i'm not really 100% certain...i looked around a bit and it seems Gretch players prefera bar bridge over the roller bridge for improved tone and sustain, hard to tell how it will affect intonation (i believe there are compensated setups, haven't found the exact one yet)...

looking some more...
chromium
Nice guitar, Ross! I've played a couple of those - lotta bang for the buck

You might check Ebay for a tune-o-matic roller bridge - looks like there are quite a few available for not too much money:

http://instruments.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmptZGuitarQ5fAccessories  ?_nkw=%28roller+bridge%29&_sacat=619&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270.l1313&_od kw=bigsby+%28roller+bridge%29&_osacat=619
sonic
Awesome Bigsby ... you should check out a regular tune o matic TOM bridge.That weird epi bridge is not cool for Bigsbys .
suitandtieguy
that looks pretty hot.

however, i would really have been impressed if you'd have put a Trans-Trem in there.
Chuck E. Jesus
suitandtieguy wrote:
that looks pretty hot.

however, i would really have been impressed if you'd have put a Trans-Trem in there.

i think i know what that is, but it's really not my style...my thought was it's a tool to help me do the eric clapton vibro (which i never could do) vs. the bb king vibro (which i can do pretty good), but it ends up sounding more like a brian may vibro (bonus)...
Chuck E. Jesus
sonic wrote:
Awesome Bigsby ... you should check out a regular tune o matic TOM bridge.That weird epi bridge is not cool for Bigsbys .

i'm bringing the guit and my twin to the best guit fix it man i know on tues...i put a lot of redearch into it, i think graphite/teflon saddles is the way to go...the fix it dude will give me advice and fix up my twin in the process i figure....
Chuck E. Jesus
well, it's getting a lot more expensive than i thought, not sure wtf i'm going to do now confused
Chuck E. Jesus
got the Sheraton back last week, went with a Gotoh roller bridge:

dropped right in, but it's held on by string tension (the Korean/Samick Sheratons have non-standard bridge size)....

stays in tune a lot better, but i think i'm putting Grover tuners in next month...
krelnarb
Big Bends Nut Sauce

http://www.bigbends.com/

It's fantastic. It works. Micro-dab where strings touch bridge or nut and your good to go. I used it on a Squire based parts-o-caster and I swear it stayed in tune for over two days. And I'm a string yankin' bar bending fool.

And it took all the 'this sucks' out of my HipShot B-bender.

I love this stuff.

And no, I don't own stock in it.

Kick ass guitar Ross.
robojam
Threads like this make me think that I really need to get more guitars...
smitty
Hmm, I could do that to my Joe Pass! smile Do they make Lefty Bigsby's? These Epi model lines are awesome for what they cost. No "collector bend over" tax to deal with.
chromium
smitty wrote:
Do they make Lefty Bigsby's?

Here's an old NOS lefty Bigsby - still at $99 and no bids:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Left-Handed-Bigsby-Vibrato-Tailpiece-Rare_ W0QQitemZ250385224891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item25 0385224891&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

That seller is part of my daily "Ebay prowl", and has been good to deal with. They apparently somehow ended up with a ton of NOS parts from the old Gibson Kalamazoo, MI factory, and popped up a couple years ago on Ebay hocking the stuff - necks, bodies, Moog boards from the Gibson RDs, rare pickguards, electronics, many of these tremolo units, and other stuff made of unobtainium.

They do still make lefty versions - Elderly has one too:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/B7L.htm
Chuck E. Jesus
krelnarb wrote:
Big Bends Nut Sauce

http://www.bigbends.com/

It's fantastic. It works. Micro-dab where strings touch bridge or nut and your good to go. I used it on a Squire based parts-o-caster and I swear it stayed in tune for over two days. And I'm a string yankin' bar bending fool.

And it took all the 'this sucks' out of my HipShot B-bender.

I love this stuff.

And no, I don't own stock in it.

Kick ass guitar Ross.

i tried to buy some Nut Sauce at my local GC, they don't carry it, had to get another graphite based lube, seems to work fine...

anyway: i was having trouble with the roller bridge anchors sliding around in the old anchors so i tried to epoxy them in...but as they weren't in the correct position and the bridge wouldn't fit on properly, i ended up snapping one of the posts...i was able to get a new set of anchors/posts, and i just dropped off the Epi to my buddy who is a furniture repair dude...he's going to pull the old anchors, dowel the holes, match the finish, and install the new anchors properly....i should have it next week...

i also put in locking Grovers, a great product! restringing/tuning is a breeze....i've already decided to put in new pups and pots, going to be a bad-ass axe w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1