MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

100 Oscillator Mega Drone Synth
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author 100 Oscillator Mega Drone Synth
alternating.bit
Posting this here because a) I like to chat among my 5U brethren, and b) This guy's build is MU BIG. Have you all seen this?

Sugarfree
it actually sounds musical and useful. Love it!
leeski
hihi Yep that's funky nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! nanners applause
unrecordings
Outstanding
He ought to go easy on the Sunny Delight though hihi
Sugarfree
It got me thinking. How could a 100-osc 5U module look like?

I think it would only need a master frequency and detune controls and master CV inputs for 1V/Oct, Lin/Exp FM and detune.

Not sure if it would make sense to have other waveform shapes.

I think having individual controls for each oscillator would be unnecessary.
Each oscillator could be controlled by a PID (proportional–integral–derivative) controller to keep it in tune and a "master detune" circuit could make the overall tuning either tighter or looser.

Adding and subtracting oscillators could be done with a single knob. Just dialing less or more.

So, the front end could be really simple. Would it be possible to fit 100 analog oscillators behind a 2U or a 3U panel though?
Huba-Swift
One of my favorite synth channels. This machine kinda gives my that intense movie soundtrack sort of feel. It's probably worth building just for the LEDs.
Eric the Red
Did you guys notice how out of tune Osc #39 was? Ughhh... ruined this whole thing for me. Just kidding...

This guys videos are always entertaining, and his 5U system makes no sense to me. He does lurk around the forum at times, forgot his name though.

-Eric
Flareless
woah Wow! woah

I need 100 oscillators! Just for the lights!!

I've never seen this guy before. His stuff is wild!

I don't think any serious modular setup is totally complete without his It'll Kill You 5000

Thanks for the video AB!
sduck
Ok just because I'm anal about these kinds of things - it's only 96 regular oscillators, and then 4 LFOs.
Schlumpfhut
3 Thoughts on that insane guy:

1) Everybody subscribe to his Youtube channel - it's awesome SlayerBadger!
2) he does a lot of very intersting and cool stuff
and 3) I WANT SUCH A It'll Kill You 5000
w00t
unrecordings
sduck wrote:
Ok just because I'm anal about these kinds of things - it's only 96 regular oscillators, and then 4 LFOs.

Didn't notice that - so that would be a mere 16x 40106 based hex VCOs
estin
sduck wrote:

Still 100 oscillators though, lets not discriminate based on frequency hihi
Further more, too bad they don't track 1v/oct, ultimate supersaw mono synth lead.
ZibraZibraZibra
sduck wrote:

haha yes! the first person to bring that up! (however the bottom row of 12 oscillators can actually go slower than the LFO's. so that makes it even more complicated

the actual oscillators are reverse avalanche oscillators. running in a range of 12volts right up to 30volts! it is by no means practical haha. but i was weighing up getting 100 CEM3340's but i chickened out. maybe next time haha.

giving it CV control in this weeks video with a sequencer (using a MOSFTET) because it cooks every over component razz.
Schlumpfhut
ZibraZibraZibra wrote:

giving it CV control in this weeks video with a sequencer (using a MOSFTET) because it cooks every over component razz.

Can't wait to see it. Defintely going to check it out. w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1