MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

best audio recorder right now?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author best audio recorder right now?
odditymedium
hi y'all i've been looking at recorder for my synths, what are my options today?
my budget is 500 euros or less.

what do you think of:

- zoom h6? too noisy? too plasticky?

- marantz pmd 667 mkii? drains battery too quickly?

- sony pcm-m10? no xlr inputs...

- anything else?
odditymedium
search is killing me here

but from this thread: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=191007

the sound devices mix-pre 3 looks pretty good
ramos808
Zoom r16
numan7
Fwiw, I'm rather happy with my Sound Devices Mix-Pre 10T w/musician plug-in.

cheers
ayruos
I just got the Zoom R16, the R24 fits in your budget too. No problems with it so far apart from the fact that it doesn't have enough headroom for modular levels but with some attenuation that's a non issue.
mousegarden
€500 budget will get you more than decent performance in virtually any of the major makes, you're only using the line inputs, so TBQH, they are all a bit samey.
I've got a Tascam DR100 MK111 which is fairly well built, and has a lot of features.
calaveras
Neither of the Zoom products will take home the prize for 'best'. The specs are so so, and the ergonomics of most Zoom stuff is ho hum. (I own a Zoom portable recorder, not bashing the brand, but lets be realistic!)

I'd say get a used UAD Apollo. The little desktop ones are like $600 new, so they must go for less used. The sound quality of the ADDA on the UAD Apollo stuff is great. I could not believe how much better when I first plugged in. Made my old MOTU sound like a shortwave radio chainsaw in comparison.

I agree that the Sound Devices stuff with their 32 bit converters, wide bandwidth and great dynamic range are pretty hard to beat for sound quality. Though if you are dealing with synths, and not using a mixer you will be finding your self short of inputs.
mousegarden
calaveras wrote:
Neither of the Zoom products will take home the prize for 'best'. The specs are so so, and the ergonomics of most Zoom stuff is ho hum. (I own a Zoom portable recorder, not bashing the brand, but lets be realistic!)

I'd say get a used UAD Apollo. The little desktop ones are like $600 new, so they must go for less used. The sound quality of the ADDA on the UAD Apollo stuff is great. I could not believe how much better when I first plugged in. Made my old MOTU sound like a shortwave radio chainsaw in comparison.

I agree that the Sound Devices stuff with their 32 bit converters, wide bandwidth and great dynamic range are pretty hard to beat for sound quality. Though if you are dealing with synths, and not using a mixer you will be finding your self short of inputs.

Does the OP want to use a computer though?
There are a lot of ways to skin this particular cat, but the handy recorder route is possibly the simplest, no matter which one he gets, the operation and ergonomics are much of a muchness, he'll get used to any of them.
I don't think the OP is worried about ultimate sound quality? But...machines by Sound Devices aren't what I would call "top notch" they are very rugged, and well built, an industry standard, but not IMO the best sounding.
The Mix Pre series aern't bad, but I think, out of the OP's budget.
There are also mixers with built in SD card slots to record on, even Behringer do one, there are just so many options these days.

odditymedium wrote:

- marantz pmd 667 mkii? drains battery too quickly?

- sony pcm-m10? no xlr inputs...

- anything else?

Tascam DR100...

Not too plasticky.
Battery lasts for ages.
Has XLR inputs.

Anything else? Yes, but why did I choose the Tascam? Quite rugged, good built in mic's, good battery life, sound quality is "excellent" for the money, looks cool! I could have got many others, but it's not worth spending too much time agonising over this.

thumbs up
tIB
Tascam da3000 if you don't need portable and can find one for the price.
The korg mr series can probably be found in your budget too and are very good.
dubonaire
mousegarden wrote:
Does the OP want to use a computer though?

The OP asked the question a year ago. Necrobumping threads is all the rage at the moment especially among low post-count members.
ersatzplanet
Do you want a stand alone or a module. If you can use an Eurorack module, think about the 4ms Wave Recorder - https://4mscompany.com/p.php?p=811

One or more of these in one of their new mini cases would be perfect.
globalwm
odditymedium wrote:

what do you think of:

Had a Zoom H1 (serial 442267) that was a disaster. After a afternoon of field recording, I got a cable and imported my files into Live and seems like I had this "helicopter defect" in the recordings of my H1 - the sound files have this annoying "woop woop woop" sound all over them. :(

http://www.danmccomb.com/sound-bag/zoom-h1-battery-sound-problem-and-s wift-resolution-from-samson/ -- my "woop woop" sound was 1000x louder than his. It sounded like a chopper landing in slo-mo (think movie effect).

Samson replaced my H1 recorder but the files were not recoverable.

My unit ate batteries also - tip: never keep your batteries in (any) Zoom unit.
Hainbach
I adore the sound of the Sony PCM-D100 - absolutely gorgeous and the workflow is easy and responsive. Very curious about the new Roland recorder though - looks like its easy to carry around.
nuketifromorbit
I have a zoom r16 and liked it well enough, that is until the 8th input crapped out on me. Apparently this isn't entirely uncommon, be warned. For the record I never gigged with it or anything, it just sat in my bedroom studio.
mick
Really happy with my Tascam DR-100 MK3
mousegarden
mick wrote:
Really happy with my Tascam DR-100 MK3

I'm not, I've only had it a year and one of the XLR inputs has packed up.

meh
deepblackjoe@gmail.com
I agree with the zoom r24
qualitypetrol
Zoom H6 has good quality but quite a bit of handling noise. One of those supended grips is advisable, but they cost...
Entrainer
OP was looking a year ago, however, if any one else is searching:

Sound Devices MixPre-3, MixPre-6, and MixPre-10

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-3
tron23
Sometimes a used Sound Devices 702 can come up on ebay for about that price. Guinness ftw!
Birth_Chord
For the Zoom H6 it possible to plug it in as an audio interface in order to capture the microphone sounds live? Or is it just for the cable inputs?

Edit : Never mind, answer around 6:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa13gS1lpyA

Edit 2 : didn't really solve my problem because then I can't use my normal audio interface to record... It does however have a simple line out that works fine, 3.5mm to TRS cable!
CosmicFlight
Sony pcm-m10 lover here, great converter at a "low" price, but you will need a better external preamp...

Never had the chance to get one but Sound Devices stuff seems to be the best !
ExtrasensoryPerception
love the ppm-m10 as well. easy and affordable, plus sounds great!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1