MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Behringer mixers?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Behringer mixers?
mousegarden
I never thought it would happen, especially after posting about Behringer mixers being second only to the devil himself.
But I'm almost going to pull the trigger on a Behringer UFX1604, simply because it offers everything I need, 100mm faders, four band EQ, talk-back (yes, talk-back!) flexible routing ala Mackie, it just has everything, and hasn't got a bad review anywhere. I've looked at the competition, and it doesn't come close, just wondering if any fellow wigglers have gone down the same road without ending up in a horrific crash!

moloque
Maybe I'm one of the luckky guy but I only had good experience with them. I have a small one /4 channel) and a bigger one for years and never had any problem with both off them. I have a "better" / more expensive (3 times for the same amounts off channels) mixer for the band studio and had many proplems (stereo pots not working...).
lisa
I have the UFX1604 and I love it! Great value.
PISS.EXE
Behringer stuff is fine and only got better after they acquired Midas. The umc1820 is my favorite interface in many years. It's good stuff.
th0mas
UFX1604 is absolutely central to my setup, here is a pic.

My 2 favorite things about it are:
- Most eurorack signals can be attenuated at the input stage of the mixer. Some are too strong (most notably DPO output) but most are fine.
- it is equally good at recording straight to USB HD as it is as an I/O interface. Often after a long day at work the last thing I want to do is look at a computer screen, so I'll record straight to USB. But when I want to do a more involved multitrack session it's easier to use Ableton as the MIDI source and audio interface directly. I can switch between using MPC & USB HD, or ableton as the MIDI source/audio interface with just a flip of a switch.

My signal flow is:

(midi)
minibrute -> MPC1000 -> kenton thru-25
Kenton thru-25 sends MIDI to all my hardware synths and FX, as well as to eurorack via CV.OCD.
CV.OCD -> Pams, Voltage block, and CV/gate outs

(audio)
I moved my modular directly next to the UFX so that, while patching, I can pick out separate tracks to record on the fly. Without mixing down in euro I can record multitrack channels straight off the modular and since they're so close I don't need to plan it ahead of time. You can see in the pic that mixer channels 1-5 have a gray 1/4" coming in. Those are 1/8" to 1/4" cables that I patch directly from my modular.

I also have aux 1-4 going to L/R of my eventide timefactor + space. One downside is that the aux returns do NOT get recorded to USB or (afaik) to the I/O, so I have channels 12-16 set up as the L/R returns of the timefactor and space. This reduces my channels down to 12, but that's fine for pretty much all sessions.

I'm getting a nava 909 clone built so one thing I might get soon is a patchbay in front of the UFX so that I can more quickly switch inputs when I'm going to want to be able to multitrack the drum machine, or my synths.

I have a little ruby script available here that simplifies importing UFX1604 sessions off a USB harddrive. It joins stereo tracks, and deletes silent tracks. https://github.com/boourns/wavtools

I have a few gripes:
- there is no decent manual. I started much simpler in use and had to bang my head a few times to figure out how to get it to do everything I wanted because there's no good documentation.
- If you just want to monitor the computer output into head phones there is no hardware volume control. I've blasted myself multiple times due to this. You can route the computer outputs back into channel 15/16 but that takes up channels. I might rework my setup like this so that I can route computer audio -> ufx -> add eventide space -> record the FX channel in ableton.
- I burnt out one of my mono channels, but it was totally my fault. Couldn't hear anything so I kept cranking it and cranking the input.. turns out I had a cable plugged into the insert FX on the back that went nowhere :(. Still gotta get it fixed just haven't wanted to let it go into the shop.
- I wish it had twice the inputs grin
lionelfischer
thanks for crucial info and script!!!!!
jonne74
I got tired of waiting when my Teac M-35 deal didn't happen and got a X2442 USB. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger Yamaha after the MG-102c, but it's hard to beat Behringer's insane routing capabilities. Direct outs, four subs, four sends/stereo returns etc.

This brand was dead to me for some ten years and it still feels like a lottery. I know it might die any moment, been there before.
calaveras
The weak point of most Behringer mixers is the power supply. I've seen a lot of people toss their Behringers when the power supply dies. The replacement cost nearly as much as the mixer!

As far as the features. They seem to be there. But I'm often skeptical of products that seem to have more features than I should be getting for the price.

If you can, go check out one in person before you commit to buying. There is a certain brand of bass amp that I passed on a few years back because their new amps had these incredibly cheap buttons and knobs on them. Still sounded great, all the features were there. But my clumsy ass would have destroyed that amp in one month.
PISS.EXE
jonne74 wrote:
I got tired of waiting when my Teac M-35 deal didn't happen and got a X2442 USB. I wanted to upgrade to a bigger Yamaha after the MG-102c, but it's hard to beat Behringer's insane routing capabilities. Direct outs, four subs, four sends/stereo returns etc.

This brand was dead to me for some ten years and it still feels like a lottery. I know it might die any moment, been there before.

The mg102c is great. I sold mine to a friend when he needed a board before a show so I ended up telling him he could keep it for $80. I actually let him borrow it for the show and he didn't want to give it back. He didn't know just how sick it was until he used it and i think everyone who played that show ended up using the board and liked it. I'd be happy to get a MG board again. However this behringer that Mousegarden posted about is likely what i'd mess with if i went back to a mixer style setup. I had a MG206c for a little while too. They're all good. The compressors on em aren't bad either. I would rather have a MG than the Tascam desk I just got rid of though hihi

Did you know there's an official Yamaha made part that wall mounts the mg102c?
calaveras
Ha! I had one of those MG102C mixers when I lived in California. I like that they sell an accessory that mounts them to a mic stand. So future. The compressors are kind of in DBX 163 territory. Not bad for one knob compressors. Kind of nice on squirty synths or excessively loud drum machines.
I can't recall what it was exactly but something about the routing on those annoyed me. That's why I went back to a plain vanilla, non VLZ Mackie 1202. It just works.

As far as mixers in general I don't think that technology is really progressing in any way on those. The mixers that came out 20 years ago are just as good (if not better) than they ones made today in terms of sound and usefulness. The ability of manufacturers to shave margins and produce cheaper mixers with more features has moved forward. But the brand new $300 mixer I don't feel is better than the used $300 from 20 years ago.
The only place this may not necessarily be true is in the case of mixers with built in AD/DA conversion and USB/1394/TB connection. Though I think you will find that while there are great advances in the realm of digital converrsion technology. These advances have not propagated to such mixers. They are still for the most part just 24 bit 96k at best.
khakifridge
Yep, the newer Xenyx stuff appears to be OK. We have the large (32 channel?) desk as a band mixer. Much better than the SL2442 we had before, which started going a bit flaky (as did one owned by a mate). I have the XR-18 too - another post-Midas mixer and very good indeed.
The Real MC
Betrayed one too many times. If it says behringer then I don't trust it.
lisa
The Real MC wrote:
Betrayed one too many times. If it says behringer then I don't trust it.

So if you’d like something like the UFX1604 but not Behringer, what would you get?
MacroDX
calaveras wrote:
The weak point of most Behringer mixers is the power supply. I've seen a lot of people toss their Behringers when the power supply dies. The replacement cost nearly as much as the mixer!

Been there! When the PSU of mine died, I got a reply from two Behringer Service Points that said, no prob can be fixed at a flat-rate tariff of 120 bucks. I then took a shoot myself and after replacing two voltage regulators for 60 cents each the thing was back up again Dead Banana !
Those things get hot as the oven. Underdimensioned PSU I guess.
mousegarden
Thanks for all your input folks, been busy setting up my studio so no time to post.
Is there a fan in the UFX? I was wondering, as it has lots of perforated metal.
It seems OK, I'm really sold on that USB stick recording capability, but how do you format the drives? I've heard that some people have trouble doing that.
I'm also looking at the Soundcraft EFX12, no USB recording, but more channels, and Lexicon effects, plus good EQ. But the Behringer wins on it's 100mm faders, recording, and flexible touting.
PISS.EXE
mousegarden wrote:
Thanks for all your input folks, been busy setting up my studio so no time to post.
Is there a fan in the UFX? I was wondering, as it has lots of perforated metal.
It seems OK, I'm really sold on that USB stick recording capability, but how do you format the drives? I've heard that some people have trouble doing that.
I'm also looking at the Soundcraft EFX12, no USB recording, but more channels, and Lexicon effects, plus good EQ. But the Behringer wins on it's 100mm faders, recording, and flexible touting.

A simple and time tested one:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storag e-Format-Tool.shtml
16osc
UFX1604 working good for me. I'm starting to feel silly for all my previous anti-Behringer thoughts. Other companies borrow ideas too. Behringer just does it a bit more explicitly but I think they have a different goal - allowing those with a smaller budget to get some of the gear that used to be only for big budgets.
mousegarden
PISS.EXE wrote:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/HP-USB-Disk-Storag e-Format-Tool.shtml

Im not sure about that, I have read that you have to format the drive with a specific Behringer utility.
Okkupantteri
My experience with Behringer mixers is only with a Xenyx 1002B which is my current mixer that I bought second hand. No issues with it what so ever and it has worked just fine. Only thing is that it doesn't have too much headroom but then again driving the gain up results in a sweet distortion. No need for a BX series mixer smile
th0mas
mousegarden wrote:
PISS.EXE wrote:

Im not sure about that, I have read that you have to format the drive with a specific Behringer utility.

No special formatting tool, just FAT32 formatted via mac disk utility for me, recorded and imported over 100 sessions on it over the last year.
PISS.EXE
Yeah, can confirm. I made sure to be sure it wants an ordinary FAT32 drive before recommending that tool thumbs up

Windows can format drives too but i've found over the last 10 or so years of using the HP USB Format Tool, that it is often able to erase USB drives Windows might error out while formatting. It's very reliable if you use Windows.
Shrigg
That USB recording feature brings the UFX1604 to the front of my short list... Now redesigning the studio corner and the idea of recording computer-free takes is very appealing
Shrigg
th0mas wrote:
UFX1604 is absolutely central to my setup, here is a pic.

My 2 favorite things about it are:
- Most eurorack signals can be attenuated at the input stage of the mixer. Some are too strong (most notably DPO output) but most are fine.
- it is equally good at recording straight to USB HD as it is as an I/O interface. Often after a long day at work the last thing I want to do is look at a computer screen, so I'll record straight to USB. But when I want to do a more involved multitrack session it's easier to use Ableton as the MIDI source and audio interface directly. I can switch between using MPC & USB HD, or ableton as the MIDI source/audio interface with just a flip of a switch.

My signal flow is:

(midi)
minibrute -> MPC1000 -> kenton thru-25
Kenton thru-25 sends MIDI to all my hardware synths and FX, as well as to eurorack via CV.OCD.
CV.OCD -> Pams, Voltage block, and CV/gate outs

(audio)
I moved my modular directly next to the UFX so that, while patching, I can pick out separate tracks to record on the fly. Without mixing down in euro I can record multitrack channels straight off the modular and since they're so close I don't need to plan it ahead of time. You can see in the pic that mixer channels 1-5 have a gray 1/4" coming in. Those are 1/8" to 1/4" cables that I patch directly from my modular.

I also have aux 1-4 going to L/R of my eventide timefactor + space. One downside is that the aux returns do NOT get recorded to USB or (afaik) to the I/O, so I have channels 12-16 set up as the L/R returns of the timefactor and space. This reduces my channels down to 12, but that's fine for pretty much all sessions.

I'm getting a nava 909 clone built so one thing I might get soon is a patchbay in front of the UFX so that I can more quickly switch inputs when I'm going to want to be able to multitrack the drum machine, or my synths.

I have a little ruby script available here that simplifies importing UFX1604 sessions off a USB harddrive. It joins stereo tracks, and deletes silent tracks. https://github.com/boourns/wavtools

Damn! Couldn't resist... Just pulled the trigger on a UFX1604. Now I need to sell off a few things to fund it!
PISS.EXE
Any chance anyone in here has one of the newer Behringer UMC interfaces? I'm wondering if the direct to usb recording is as good or better than my UMC1820. Removing the last computer in the setup (the glorified multitrack recorder) would be worth the money to me i think if the sound quality is comparable.

I used to have an A&H Zed USB mixer and i fucking hated the sound so i really dont mind sticking with the UMC if it is somehow better.
Juanv101
I use Xenyx Q802USB
small and useful
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3