MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

problem connecting MIDI-out, ADDAC222 to synth/sound module
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author problem connecting MIDI-out, ADDAC222 to synth/sound module
propertyof
i'm having problem connecting my ADDAC222 directly to my synth/sound module.

i've tried many times connecting 222 midi-out (via 3.5 mm adaptor that came with the module) > midi-in synths/sound modules. but the synths/sound module couldn't receive any midi message at all. i've check all channels have arranged correctly.

but when i use 222 midi-out (via 3.5 mm addac adaptor) > usb laptop (running midi-ox utility software) > midi-in synths/sound modules, all works perfect. i can control/change the synth's patches, channels, voices from the 222 switches & knobs.and i can tracked the midi data on the software too.
also using 222 usb midi > laptop > usb laptop > synth midi-in, works perfect too.

i've checked all of my midi cables with multitester and there's no problem.
i'm using the adaptor that came with the 222 to connect Roland Midi cable like this exact one:
https://www.roland.com/jp/products/msc-15/
this cable works when i connect my midi synths to another midi synth/sound module.

and my midi-usb cable is similar to this:
https://elevatorsound.com/product/usb-midi-cable/
it only works when i connect the 222 to my laptop's usb before go to my sound module's midi in.

any idea why is this happen? what did i miss?
i'm pretty rare using midi, so this could be only a noobish stupidity issue?

i've contacted Andre about this but seems he's been busy lately, so decided to make thread & really hope the forum can help. many thanks before!
propertyof
here's my interesting find this evening..

i did rewiring one of my midi cables, so it's connected differently from the addac cable that came with the 222 but similar to arturia trs-midi type din cable:
Pin 5 – Ring (Current Sink)
Pin 4 – Tip (Current Source)
Pin 2 – Sleeve (Shield)
https://www.midi.org/articles/updated-how-to-make-your-own-3-5mm-mini- stereo-trs-to-midi-5-pin-din-cables

surprise surprise! my sound module received the midi messages, the midi indicator light was blinking responding to the notes that sent directly from 222, but the sound module got hang immediately, became unplayable, and didn't respond if i press any of its button. but it could keep receiving/reading the midi notes, hence the midi indicator light keep blinking while it's unplayable.

ironically this is the first time the synth responded to the 222 midi-out directly without using my laptop's usb! waah
Paranormal Patroler
So the connectors were wired,incorrectly? Weird. What's the synth which froze? Were you flooding it with MIDI messages?
propertyof
i couldn't say if the connectors were wired incorrectly, but from my experiment this evening, that's the result that i got. maybe it's the midi-out jack that accidentally wrongly/disconnected? seriously, i just don't get it

it was the xv2020 that froze. yes it got midi message from a quantized lfo, i also checked it with the velocity/note on/noteoff gated input channel. froze from the beginning of connection, but the midi indicator light blinking on every notes it received.
Paranormal Patroler
propertyof wrote:

i did rewiring one of my midi cables, so it's connected differently from the addac cable that came with the 222 but similar to arturia trs-midi type din cable:
Pin 2 – Sleeve (Shield)
https://www.midi.org/articles/updated-how-to-make-your-own-3-5mm-mini- stereo-trs-to-midi-5-pin-din-cables

surprise surprise! my sound module received the midi messages, the midi indicator light was blinking responding to the notes that sent directly from 222, but the sound module got hang immediately, became unplayable, and didn't respond if i press any of its button. but it could keep receiving/reading the midi notes, hence the midi indicator light keep blinking while it's unplayable.

ironically this is the first time the synth responded to the 222 midi-out directly without using my laptop's usb! waah

Please explain, did you make a din-to-din cable or TRS-to-din cable? And is your above mapping for female or male plugs? I'm trying to understand what you did so that I can find what the problem is. (send me a picture if possible)

I'm also confused how you manage to freeze the XV2020. hmmm.....
propertyof
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
propertyof wrote:

Pin 2 – Sleeve (Shield)

Please explain, did you make a din-to-din cable or TRS-to-din cable? And is your above mapping for female or male plugs? I'm trying to understand what you did so that I can find what the problem is. (send me a picture if possible)

I'm also confused how you manage to freeze the XV2020. hmmm.....

i cut a male din-to-din cable and switch the pin 5 & 4 only. (so it basically became the arturia version right?)
here it's only the green & black cables.

then connect it to 222 din-to-trs cable adaptor to 222 midi-out on one end, and the xv2020 midi-in on the other end.

that connection resulted to freeze the xv2020.
ADDAC System
Just FYI, we came in contact with propertyof and solved the issue he was having with his 222. w00t
propertyof
Exactly! I even got a free tshirt. Thank you ADDAC System!
nanners
ADDAC System
propertyof wrote:
Exactly! I even got a free tshirt. Thank you ADDAC System!
nanners

Glad you're enjoying your ADDAC222 propertyof
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1