MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Amping the Plague Bearer's Noise Output
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Author Amping the Plague Bearer's Noise Output
N59
I read in the manual that the noise level is supposed to be ultra quiet as this is a bonus-type feature. Well, I turned up my monitors enough to kinda hear it, and well... if I accidentally plugged an oscillator into the mixer my ears would have been Dead Banana ambulance So what kind of VCA, preamp, or whatever do you use to boost up the level for the Plague alone? Currently QMMG serves as my only VCA, which didn't seem to raise the level.

P.S... Bonus Question lol Is it normal for the Input Level attenuation knob to basically do nothing until the very last notch or so, where it is ultra sensitive, and then boosts level very suddenly into the heavy distortion?

Despite those few quirks I absolutely love this module! applause
flight
N59 wrote:
I read in the manual that the noise level is supposed to be ultra quiet as this is a bonus-type feature. Well, I turned up my monitors enough to kinda hear it, and well... if I accidentally plugged an oscillator into the mixer my ears would have been Dead Banana ambulance So what kind of VCA, preamp, or whatever do you use to boost up the level for the Plague alone? Currently QMMG serves as my only VCA, which didn't seem to raise the level.

Most VCA are actually Voltage Controlled Attenuators: output from zero to unity. You need an actual amplifier (dunno what's out there though)... or you could just get a second Plague Bearer (since they're supposed to be used in pairs anyway) and use it to boost the signal. wink
Quote:
P.S... Bonus Question lol Is it normal for the Input Level attenuation knob to basically do nothing until the very last notch or so, where it is ultra sensitive, and then boosts level very suddenly into the heavy distortion?

Nope, something's wrong there. Probably a loose connection.
Quote:
Despite those few quirks I absolutely love this module! applause

Thanks! I was hoping a few other folks would chime in here, but hopefully this helps.
computer controlled
I like it too =o] I'd like another one. Since i keep hearing they're best in pairs.
N59
I think there was another thread recently about amping up voltages. From what I gathered there isn't any end-all solution in eurorack. I think I might actually have an old preamp lying around that I never had use for before. oops

As for the Input Level response, I believe this was another voltage level issue. I had just received a new 1/4" to 1/8" cable and was running a drum loop into it from my interface. Although the response feels a little unusual to me, with regular eurorack signals I believe it is operating normally.

I might get a second eventually. Running these serial or parallel would be really fun, and the two as a noise source does sound like it would be delicious. Also thanks for keeping the price down on these! w00t
slow_riot
i've been using Metasonix r-51 with PB, which seems to be a very nice combination... it has enough gain to use the PB how you want, and works well in general PB situations.

Also just wanted to quickly add my love for the PB. Really sings beautifully and unexpectedly when fed right. It kinda doesn't do much sometimes, but in the right scenario it makes things really come alive. Turn off the lights and be lost/found. Thankyou Flight!
Suburban Bather
slow_riot wrote:
i've been using Metasonix r-51 with PB, which seems to be a very nice combination... it has enough gain to use the PB how you want, and works well in general PB situations.
Beat me to the suggestion. I have not tried using my PB's with my Metasonix modules yet, but it should be a perfect marriage. Yes! the R-51 has extra gain on tap. The R-53 will also give you a boost. Metasonix modules respond well to low level input signals. Get an R-51 if want an overdriving VCA. Get an R-53 if you want sonic destruction.
TrashWaveform
Suburban Bather wrote:
slow_riot wrote:
Beat me to the suggestion. I have not tried using my PB's with my Metasonix modules yet, but it should be a perfect marriage. Yes! the R-51 has extra gain on tap. The R-53 will also give you a boost. Metasonix modules respond well to low level input signals. Get an R-51 if want an overdriving VCA. Get an R-53 if you want sonic destruction.
You haven't mingled them yet? What is wrong with you! They are like soul mates. Hug
slow_riot
Suburban Bather wrote:
Yes!

I think at some point i'd like to add an r-52. That's low output, and I most usually like the PB being fed low. Think it might work nicely. and maybe 1 extra PB along with some oscillations/feedback. hmm.
pugix
I ran a PB through my Blacet Input Processor (IO2225). The 100x gain setting works nicely to boost the noise. You only get noise when the PB input level pot is at zero. The Lo, Hi, and Gain controls give a wide variety of noise. And it breaks into self-oscillation in certain settings: Lo and Gain set fairly high and then as you turn down the Hi pot it breaks into a nice oscillation. I put an inverted envelope on the Hi VC and got a sound reminiscent of Darth Vader's helmet being fitted to his head. Thummph w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Flight of Harmony  
Page 1 of 1