MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

check your dotcom cables
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author check your dotcom cables
estin
Had a couple leftover dotcom patch cables from my system years back and have used them here and there in the studio. Recently one became erratic cutting in and out while clipping my interface. I opened the connections and was horrified with the assembly work. Connections were massively frayed with only a couple single strands actually soldered onto the connector with the rest bent and mashed around. (both ends) Decided to check the few others I had and they were exactly the same. After cutting off both ends and correctly attaching the plugs they are great cables. These were purchased new by me direct. I'd advise checking yours just in case.
Dave Peck
That's surprising. I've checked lots of mine from time to time (I have about 100) and they all show textbook A+ solder technique. Mine are all about ten to twelve years old. When did you buy yours?
ualslosar
I've had a few 1/4" cables go bad as well, but I don't recall any of the "DOTCOM made" cables having any issues.
estin
Dave Peck wrote:
That's surprising. I've checked lots of mine from time to time (I have about 100) and they all show textbook A+ solder technique. Mine are all about ten to twelve years old. When did you buy yours?

likely around 2010 or 11. I was also really surprised.
ranix
I had a couple cables break. No big deal, I have a Weller portasol
Flareless
I had a couple of Dotcom cables go too. I opened them by soaking the glued connection in acetone.

When I opened them the soldering seemed ok with the exception of a broken wire on one and a short on the other.

They get a good workout and while I try to avoid straining the cables they do hang for days on end. It's got to take its toll on the connection points.

Poor workmanship though? I haven't seen it.
Rex Coil 7
Meh ... ya never know what the hired hand got away with when the boss wasn't lookin! I can see a situation where sub-skilled help did a few nasty ones and got it hidden with heat shrink before Roger .. or his shop foreman .. got a pair of eyes on his work.

BTW, sometimes a little heat will soften the Loctite enough to open them up ... but not always.

I owned and operated an industrial equipment repair shop for 15+ years, it is quite impossible to have eyes on every single thing the hired help does. I can only imagine what sins some of the shop help got away with when I wasn't looking or able to QC their work prior to sending it out the door.
estin
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Meh ... ya never know what the hired hand got away with when the boss wasn't lookin!

I really think it was a matter of this, highly doubt Roger would have sent these out the door. This thread wasn't meant as a knock against dotcom, more like a PSA if I may.

Also, only one of the jacks was actually loctited. The rest unscrewed by hand seriously, i just don't get it and before anyone asks yes I am sure they were dotcom cables, still had the colored heat shrink tube with logo on them. lol
BudgetInfinity
Could anyone point to a video or site detailing how to fix this type of cable? I have a few dodgy ones myself.
JohnLRice
BudgetInfinity wrote:
Could anyone point to a video or site detailing how to fix this type of cable? I have a few dodgy ones myself.
Basically you need to know how to solder correctly. Watch this video:

EDIT: I tried to look for a good to-the-point video on repairing 1/4" cables but gave up looking. There are a lot out there but they were all bugging me because they were too many errors or often way to long and rambling with the presenters trying to be entertaining personalities. meh angry Dead Banana
coyoteous
I bought a batch of these used a couple years ago and recently received some like-new ones included with my second secondhand Moon Modular P-Cab (yay! thanks, dopefiend!).

Newer and older all seem to be glued, but test OK... the funny thing is that some of the older ones were annoyingly double shrink wrapped.

I finally got fed up with the bulk, thickness and stiffness (that's NOT what she said), and cut away the manly red outer layer of one to find girly pink shrink underneath... went ahead and 'circumsized' the rest.

I like my vintage Larry Hendry Synthtech, Stooge and Wise Guy(s) Synth translucent and solid-color cables better, but the dotcoms work like a hose.

(apologies for the mostly unintentional phallic content)
josaka
all cables fail basically.. years ago I bought thousands of pounds worth of handmade neutrik.. most of them are fine but some fail .. just through wear and tear.. .coms prolly exactly the same.. I just buy cheapo £1 cables these days.. few more fail.. but just replace them.

actually found a place that does bags of 15 for 10-11£
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1