MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Vast difference when using a 9v battery from a 12v psu
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Vast difference when using a 9v battery from a 12v psu
GhostlyMostly
Oh haaaaaaaaaaaaay Animal!
I just got a V2 Coco after selling my V1 and am in love all over again.
I noticed the 9v battery sounds waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different from using a 12v psu. The 9v is less distorted and smooth, almost like I have a bunch of room to find the sweet spots. The 12v psu has way more drive and distorts easy in comparison... hmmm.....

I am looking for a deal on 9v batteries because my preference lies there. Also I am looking for a 9v psu so I can achieve the same conditions without having to use batteries all the time.

Does anyone else prefer using heir Coco with 9v over the 12v? SlayerBadger! hihi Rasta-nana
Hr.Jansen
That's funny. I experienced the exact opposite with the Sidrax. I was at first really dissapointed with it until I bought a 12v power supply... The sound changed radically to the better. Would be great to hear other experiences!
chrisdermo
My Tetrax gets really smooth and way less 'jagged' in the waveforms with a 9v battery, even moreso as it dies. I use either 12v for the intended sounds, or a 9v power supply with a voltage sag to tune in the 'smoothness' I want!
Weird that the coco gets less distorted with less volts, normally with delays its the other way round Mr. Green
wednesdayayay
for those who have a coco you know how the volume knob (at least in my mind) from off to straight up is regular volume and everything past that gives it that coco distortion?

it seems like the initial 0 to straight up portion is instead spread across the entire range of the knob

I believe it is about the same with the feedback knob

now this makes me want to go back and listen to the quantussy section of the coco on the 9v to see if it sounds more like the V1...
chorus7
I wonder if this would work with my Cocolase as well hmmm..... I would love to have a “cleaner” signal...
horaflora
Fyi, there do exist rechargeable 9v batteries, I use a couple to avoid buying tons
jimmie
wednesdayayay wrote:
for those who have a coco you know how the volume knob (at least in my mind) from off to straight up is regular volume and everything past that gives it that coco distortion?

it seems like the initial 0 to straight up portion is instead spread across the entire range of the knob

I believe it is about the same with the feedback knob

now this makes me want to go back and listen to the quantussy section of the coco on the 9v to see if it sounds more like the V1...

I get distortion on mine when more than 1 o'clock.

I've tried 9v battery (not new, so I don't think it's giving full 9v) first time with mine! It's very different. Of course the nature of the wave is the same but it behaves rather gently or mild - sorry for my luck of English ability Dead Banana But anyway, it's very nice.

When I got PB2, I powered with a 9v battery and didn't get the snare sound, ever since I never thought about using 9v battery.
arnoux
IIRC using my COCO with a 9v battery have effect on pitch stability in the looped signal, the pitch of the loop decreases.
I don't have my COCO with me, sadly, to confirm.
To notice this try to input a single drone note or a sequence and mix the loop and the dry 50/50
arnoux
ops double post sorry
fluxmonkey
in my experience, many ciat designs are very sensitive to power supply variations... even swapping between 2 different wallwart supplies rated at the same voltage will often sound different...
GhostlyMostly
fluxmonkey wrote:
in my experience, many ciat designs are very sensitive to power supply variations... even swapping between 2 different wallwart supplies rated at the same voltage will often sound different...

This is what I am learning with Peter's stuff over the years.
My Sidrax was different with a 9v and my Plumbutter snare was just a soft whisper. I love how the character of his instruments change with voltage variation. hihi
sb
I've sometimes accidentally run my PB2 at 9v instead of 12v and it too is a different beast, often in a good way.
pugix
sb wrote:
I've sometimes accidentally run my PB2 at 9v instead of 12v and it too is a different beast, often in a good way.

I wonder how that can work, because I presume PB2 has a 9v regulator on board. Regulators usually like to have 3v or more above their output to work properly. But I guess it does. hmmm.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1