MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

AE Modular Tangible Waves
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author AE Modular Tangible Waves
Nidopallium
I’m really interested in the Tangible Waves stuff as an entry point into modular. I really love the lo fi look. As there is no forum specifically for this format, I want to start a thread here and give people space to post. I would love to hear people’s experience with Tangible Waves and feedback on current and future modules.
thetechnobear
I like my AE modular... and for the price, I think its fantastic value.

pros:
- its a cheap way to explore modular, and decide if its for you.
- Tangible Waves is a great company, really great support, and they've some interesting modules on the way
- its small, portable

cons:
- the current oscillators don't track brilliantly
- the DuPont wires can fail
- its small, so can be fiddly

the cons, really aren't a big issue, we could see new better tracking oscillators, the DuPont wires are cheap, so you just keep an eye on them.. size, as stated its a good and bad point smile

overall as an instrument, I think its fun and good value, if you want to dive into the world of modular cheaply... and want some hardware rather than software.

all that said, if you know you are definitely going to be going into Eurorack , then whilst cheap... its still 300-400 euro you could spend on your case.

for me, its actually made me raise questions, about if I really want to get into modular... and if I did, what kind of system id build, in that sense its been educational too, more than software modular are.
Nidopallium
Thanks.

As I will use my rack mainly for processing audio, I’m not too bothered about the Oscillators ( though I will probably add some in the future anyway).

I was worried about the fragility of the wires but they are dirt cheap.
thetechnobear
for sure the wires are not ideal... but a necessary evil at this price point.
(hence why folktek, bastl, minisizer also use them)

there are two issues, which are probably related.
a) they can break, if you bend them too much
b) they can get noisy, when inserting/knocking them

for (a) the trick is, if the ends bend, throw them away... wha you don't want them snapping off in the module. (though that's not a huge deal)

I guess, it might not be a bad idea to throw them away are a certain amount of use, if your using it really heavily.
(i.e. they are so cheap, its easy to have hundreds around so consider them as consumables)

also, I had a bunch from different sources (tangible waves/bastl/electronics project) and the quality does vary a bit .... iirc the tangible waves ones have been pretty good.

anyway, its not a big deal, ive had a couple fail, and caused no issues.

the other thing I had, but perhaps because I was an early KS order, was a couple of bad pots... but Robert at tangible waves, immediately replaced them... part of the great customer service I mentioned.

oh another tip, not sure which system your ordering
id recommending adding another 2vca and/or another 2att/cv, its already got one of each, but attenuation is where subtly lies... as they sound in these parts
srsly never

anyway... I'm happy, and will be ordering a bunch more modules (including vcas) as soon as Robert releases them
Nidopallium
Thanks. Great advice with the VCAs. I’m doing a couple of modules at a time, rather than buying a whole system, so it is easy to keep adding as many as I need.
RadioTelefonik
Yeah, the att/cv and vca are def worth having doubles of. I also wouldn't mind a divider and another lfo, but I've only got 3 panels of space left :S. Any idea if test leads could work as substitutes for the DuPonts?
Nidopallium
RadioTelefonik wrote:
Yeah, the att/cv and vca are def worth having doubles of. I also wouldn't mind a divider and another lfo, but I've only got 3 panels of space left :S.

That’s why I’m choosing the double case. If there’s one lesson I have learned from this site, it is expect to want to expand.

It sounds like AE will be releasing quite a lot of modules next year.
RadioTelefonik
Definitely looking forward to those. And the power connector info is on the site for the DIY-minded, like myself. So hopefully we see another manufacturer or two creating modules for this format.
thetechnobear
RadioTelefonik wrote:
Any idea if test leads could work as substitutes for the DuPonts?

not quite sure what you have in mind, do you have a link?

for the Folktek Mescaline , which also uses these wires, there have been recommendation for cloth covered 22gauge guitar wire... like this

I dont have any experience with this though, as not found any in europe, so far... but basically seems 22awg is the guage of wire your after, so if the test leads are 22awg should be ok.... or at least worth a try.
Nidopallium
How easy would it be to construct a ribbon controller that I could plug into an Oscillator and control pitch?
thetechnobear
Nidopallium wrote:
How easy would it be to construct a ribbon controller that I could plug into an Oscillator and control pitch?

pretty easy.... basically it acts a voltage divider, so you connect gnd and 5v.
see http://www.ooooo.be/devices/ribbon4/ribbon4.htm

you'll probably need a few things extra to be able to calibrate it.

note: sorry, ive not done this, so cant give you more practical details.
Nidopallium
thetechnobear wrote:

I read the link but it looks slightly beyond my level of technical capability. eek!
RadioTelefonik
thetechnobear wrote:
RadioTelefonik wrote:
Any idea if test leads could work as substitutes for the DuPonts?

not quite sure what you have in mind, do you have a link?

for the Folktek Mescaline , which also uses these wires, there have been recommendation for cloth covered 22gauge guitar wire... like this

I dont have any experience with this though, as not found any in europe, so far... but basically seems 22awg is the guage of wire your after, so if the test leads are 22awg should be ok.... or at least worth a try.

Sorry, I was thinking jumper wires. Got my terms messed up. Stuff like THIS. They're 26 awg, tho. I just find them sturdier than DuPonts, since the little plastic bits on the DuPonts keep sliding up lol
thetechnobear
ah, i have a bunch of those...not sure if they are 22 or 26 awg, but they fit
yeah, sometimes the plastic bits fall off the DuPont smile
Ive found with some of these breadboard wires i have to snip a bit of the end, as they can be longer than required. (no big deal)

its funny, ive ordered various things using these cables, now Ive got thousands of them...
(which at least means if any are 'dodgy' i just immediately bin them)

... only thing ive not worked out is a tidy way to organise them.
thetechnobear
Nidopallium wrote:
thetechnobear wrote:

I read the link but it looks slightly beyond my level of technical capability. eek!

just look at the simple bad one, basically its ground in one end, 5v in the other, and the third outlet is your pitch cv
Nidopallium
I have taken the plunge and ordered my first AE modules (my first modules ever).
SKYNET_23
the upcoming STEP16 and sample player both seem interesting, and so does the Eurorack adapter, but that brings to mind many questions... I really like the low fi look as well - and also the low cost per module.
- Has anyone interfaced these with Korg little bits? They seem kinda similar...
P.O.L.
I bought my AE Modular as part of the Kickstarter campaign, and have been really happy with it - it sounds really good and is very flexible with separate or bus CV & gates. The midi control was perfect for my studio, and is currently run from a Beat Step Pro (yes, using midi). I've since filled my 1 rack unit, and I'm deciding what's going to go in a 2 rack unit order soon I'm that pleased. Also the steady stream of new modules have created gear lust - at least this is cheaper than most of my studio wants!

I haven't found the small size a problem but I agree with the comments on the patch wires elsewhere on Muff Wiggler - this has been addressed as Robert now produces specific patch lead, not just supplying computer cable - these will be on my new order when I do it. It's just a little care is needed but it can be annoying when one falls out when your're trying to put another lead in!

The only criticism I have of any of the 16 modules I have is the resonance on the wasp filter is mostly at one end of the knob range, and cuts bass like mad at high Q; not the first synth I've run into with this but it's been a while! Really can't complain at the price , and has character which I really like. I am looking forward to getting the new, Steiner type filter with my order as it offers a bit more complexity and a different sound.

Just in case you haven't looked for a while, Robert has now produced a Eurorack holder, which includes a module which helps with the patching. Not something I need but I can see Keen Modulists wanting!
Miguel606
To anyone interfacing ae modular with eurorack, any ground hum issues?
thetechnobear
Miguel606 wrote:
To anyone interfacing ae modular with eurorack, any ground hum issues?

yup I use mine ... and generally no issues...

I have had isolated cases where there have been issues, but they have turned out to be the Eurorack introducing noise from digital modules (hermod usually) - but Ive been able to find ways around this when it has happened.

main thing to bare in mind, is you will often want to amplify that audio signal levels up to eurorack levels (like any external instrument).

but works nicely, it enabled me to have AE modular for more 'general purpose' analog modular sounds, whilst keeping Eurorack for a more focused use.

if you want more opinions etc, the ae modular forum is a good source ... as more users smile

http://forum.aemodular.com/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1