MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

500 Series
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author 500 Series
slumberjack
Dear Hear

I'm thinking of getting a row of 500er for my studio. Unfortunately i don't know anybody who is using such thing. mainly i want to build me a Neve channel strip for post-production, but first i need a 19" case to fit into my rack.
Any recommendation for the case?

Hz,
s
taylor12k
i've had no problems using both API lunch boxes or the rupert neve 10-space rack.

i've heard BAE has quite nice racks and power supplies, but have never tried them.

there are a lot of neve and neve clone 500 series stuff.. if you're looking for the classic neve (not the more modern Rupert Neve stuff (which is also very good)) i think the current battle is between Hertigage Audio and BAE, even over the AMS Neve units themselves. i've got a couple of the Heritage 500 1073.. with the preamp and EQ.. no complaints here, tho they do take up 3 spaces each.

slumberjack wrote:
Dear Hear

I'm thinking of getting a row of 500er for my studio. Unfortunately i don't know anybody who is using such thing. mainly i want to build me a Neve channel strip for post-production, but first i need a 19" case to fit into my rack.

Hz,
s
waveplant
I'd add that if you're looking for the Neve sound, check out Avedis audio as well!
calaveras
I'd also add don't even think about DIYing a 500 series rack. I looked into it multiple times. By the time you get the right card edge connectors which have to be in a certain frac rack kind of enclosure which lines things up just so. And you've bought your power supply and everything, you have already spent more than the price of an API, Radial, etc rack.
The kind of raw racks that work for 500 series are intended for like broadcast and scientific stuff. They are not affordable at all. d'oh!

But don't even get started on 500 series. It's worse than Eurorack.
PISS.EXE
slumberjack wrote:
Dear Hear

Hz,
s

I think Midas makes a cheap one that can fit in a 19" rack. I am in the same boat as you, i've been thinking about getting a 19" wide 500 series box so i can cut down how many compressors etc I have taking up vertical space.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/L6Rack

It's the one i will very likely end up getting whenevre i finally decide to break into 500 series gear. And Includes 3RU 19" rackmount kit for installation in recording studios and live touring racks so there you have it.

I was also going to DIY one but when i saw the price of the midas vs the cost of parts to diy it, i decided to save the midas for later. I have actually been thinking about selling about a dozen 19" compressors to get the money/neceessity to get a small 500 series setup.
calaveras
Midas was acquired by Behringer. That's a Behringer rack. One thing I think Behringer does worst is power supplies. I'd skip that if you care about your 500 series.
JohnLRice
Many years ago I had an 11 space Brent Averill rack mount and it was a beautiful thing! love SlayerBadger! Come to think of it I had the 6 space Brent Averill rack before the 11 space and it was grate also, I only sold it to get the 11 space. And then times became hard and keeping up will bills was a serious struggle so I sold the 11 space along with the 8 or 9 mic pre modules I had and got out of the 500 series altogether. In doing quick comparisons I thought the full sized rack mount preamps sounded a little better then the 500 series so I eventually cut them all loose. I even tried to hold onto 2 or 3 A-Designs pres with an A-Designs 2 space rack mount but I eventuall had to sell that too. waah

PISS.EXE
calaveras wrote:
Midas was acquired by Behringer. That's a Behringer rack. One thing I think Behringer does worst is power supplies. I'd skip that if you care about your 500 series.

You shit on 500 series as a whole in your response to the OP and you're shitting on the rack I linked for being made by a Behringer owned company. What do you recommend then?

I did the googling for you and tried all kinds of terms - "midas legend l6 problems", "midas legend l6 sucks", "midas legend l6 failure" - nothing! in fact the reviews are all quite good!

I use a lot of post-Midas Behringer gear and it's all been wonderful to me. Never once have I had a power related problem, and according to the reviews I found on every site I could go to I can't see one complaint. We all know disappointed users write more reviews than happy ones too (of course except for the VERY happy ones?).

I invite you to find a better option for OP than what I posted and share it. If not, when you don't have anything to contribute, you don't have to hit the post button.

meh
mousegarden
API seems to be the defacto standard, but I'm wondering what the whole point of a 500 series rack is? That's not a provocative comment in any way, but seriously, the only advantage of a 500 module I can see is that it takes up less space than a 19 inch rack equivalent. But you do have the initial cost of the racks, which aern't cheap, also, some of the modules are almost expensive as their stand alone 19 inch equivalents. I was tempted by it, but I thought no, this actually could be another rabbit hole a bit like Eurorack.
Soy Sos
Slumberjack,
what do you wish to accomplish? You've only said you want to build a Never channel.
I use the API 10 spaces rack and have the great sounding ALM EZ1072-500.
(Which includes the EQ section, for around $1000)
I also have pres from Purple, Chandler and API
Do you want a vocal chain? Do you need compression?
Processing of synth, direct input, color?
There are a thousand options and combinations really.
cranleigh
I have the Midas L6 and it is excellent. The switches on the back to route one channel directly into the one beside it are really handy for setting up processing chains.
slumberjack
that's stuff to begin my research, i appreciate your input.

furthermore i have to say, that i have some eurorack stuff but i'm going slowly there. and there are some other things in the studio i like to push too.
i try to buy after a certain amount of looking on different options and i'm always at least one year ahead in my planning of stuff i want to buy or trade or switch.

500er series because of it's size and because it's modular in some way also because of it's flexibility of path you choose after you got the case. there a the big players, boutique ones and even diy.

i want to pre- or reamp vocals, synths, samples or intruments. i want a nice eq. i want staturation. maybe then sometime comps. it's about color, texture and dynamics. (i like to patch and work with audio more than midi or software - i'm a craftsman and really really really love to work more with my hands than a mouse/trackpad, but who am i telling this here wink ) and i want to keep my rack the sice of now. and maybe i just would like to re-record each track of a multitracked recording again trough a nice amp. it really could enhance the sound of the soundcraft series two desk i'm using in the moment. because before i could afford me a dencent analoque 40ch my hair will turn gray for sure. even just an apb would be like 15 years from now. unless some miracle would happen to me. some channel strips and eq will come in handy to shape the sound more destinctivly and add character to it.
PISS.EXE
mousegarden wrote:
API seems to be the defacto standard, but I'm wondering what the whole point of a 500 series rack is? That's not a provocative comment in any way, but seriously, the only advantage of a 500 module I can see is that it takes up less space than a 19 inch rack equivalent. But you do have the initial cost of the racks, which aern't cheap, also, some of the modules are almost expensive as their stand alone 19 inch equivalents. I was tempted by it, but I thought no, this actually could be another rabbit hole a bit like Eurorack.

I have been thinking about getting into 500 series because i have about a dozen compressors alone in 1u/2u rack format, i have a 50 space rack and while it sounds like a lot it gets filled up way too fast.

i have mostly been interested in 500 series simply for space/cable saving.... the thought of putting equivalents of 8-10U worth of gear i could fit in a case 3U tall and fill it out sideways is still very appealing although since my 19" gear works fine i have not felt like spending all the $ to replace it.

When I think about it this way and consider there's far less power & instrument cords and a lot of patch bay space reclaimed, the cost to get into it doesn't seem so bad, i just need to work up the motivation to get a lot of my 19" junk sold so i can buy em again as 500 modules.

Oh also 500 modules is the cheapest way to get the dbx subharmonic synth. Mr. Green
slumberjack
as i now looked at cases i would love to get one with selectable digital i/o to each slot and/or summing. that would be like Guinness ftw! for post-production...
The Goob
Lindell makes good affordable PSUs. Have not tried the full rack but owned the 6-space and it was great. Have since sold all the 500 series stuff but would def recommend looking into the Lindell if you're getting into the format
calaveras
PISS.EXE wrote:
calaveras wrote:

You shit on 500 series as a whole in your response to the OP and you're shitting on the rack I linked for being made by a Behringer owned company. What do you recommend then?

I did the googling for you and tried all kinds of terms - "midas legend l6 problems", "midas legend l6 sucks", "midas legend l6 failure" - nothing! in fact the reviews are all quite good!

I use a lot of post-Midas Behringer gear and it's all been wonderful to me. Never once have I had a power related problem, and according to the reviews I found on every site I could go to I can't see one complaint. We all know disappointed users write more reviews than happy ones too (of course except for the VERY happy ones?).

I invite you to find a better option for OP than what I posted and share it. If not, when you don't have anything to contribute, you don't have to hit the post button.

meh

Neither do you cupcake. Language much?

I did not 'shit on' 500 series in general.
I just said it's not cheaper to DIY a 500 series rack than buy one. Which sucks.

My comment that 500 series is worse than eurorack, is only meant to convey that it's another one of those gear formats that rapidly depletes your savings.
I apologize if that was taken to mean an attack on your 500 series family, the 500 series ethnicity, or the sexual orientation of 500 series modules.

What would I buy? I'd buy something that would not have me worried about my investment in 500 series. Considering a ten space rack represents $3000-6000 of 500 series modules. I'd be a fool to mount those in the cheapest rack that money can buy.

Lindell makes good stuff
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/506Power
Radial makes good stuff
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WR8
API themselves, make good stuff.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/API5008B

I'd probably go for API or Radial.

I'd certainly advise anyone getting into 500 series to get a rack with the DB25 connectors on it. This greatly simplifies and tidies up your cabling. It's also actually more cost effective to use good quality snakes, than batches of 8 cables for ins and outs.

PS. my enmity towards Behringer stems from two sources. First, I've had a number of experiences where Behringer let me down. As I 'm sure many on here can relate, they have this thing where you will smell a funny smell and your mixer power supply is suddenly super hot, and then it stops working. Or you are out to play a show, and the mixer, or compressor or reverb just stops.
seriously, i just don't get it Hello, electronic thing, what did I do to deserve your not working?
They are kind of well known to make really cheap stuff, that also is not reliable.
Then there is this other thing. I can't stand when brands that I respect, like Midas and Klark Teknik, get bought out and used as a 'respectable' brand by an inferior company. Behringer is hardly the first company to do this. But it is still kinda sleazy.
smithknows
I’ve had two different API power supplies over the years. Both built like tanks. Never any issues.
I’ve heard that with cheaper racks you can have issues with some modules not working properly and strange cross talk issues.
I’ve never had anything like that with API.
dubonaire
I don't have 500 series (yet) but i've spent probably two years researching. The Rupert Neve racks look good to me because they provide a lot of power and also meter power consumption. The biggest difference between 500 series and normal racks is a lack of dedicated power. I've read a number of respected recording engineers, who use 500 series a lot, talk about the impact of insufficient power on the sound quality of the modules (just like Eurorack).

The Radial Workhouse 8 slot rack with the 8x2 summing mixer is also a really good idea and has excellent I/O options. A lot of flexibility there.
mousegarden
PISS.EXE wrote:
mousegarden wrote:

I have been thinking about getting into 500 series because i have about a dozen compressors alone in 1u/2u rack format, i have a 50 space rack and while it sounds like a lot it gets filled up way too fast.

i have mostly been interested in 500 series simply for space/cable saving.... the thought of putting equivalents of 8-10U worth of gear i could fit in a case 3U tall and fill it out sideways is still very appealing although since my 19" gear works fine i have not felt like spending all the $ to replace it.

When I think about it this way and consider there's far less power & instrument cords and a lot of patch bay space reclaimed, the cost to get into it doesn't seem so bad, i just need to work up the motivation to get a lot of my 19" junk sold so i can buy em again as 500 modules.

Oh also 500 modules is the cheapest way to get the dbx subharmonic synth. Mr. Green

If you've got a 50U rack, and want to save space by replacing some of it with 500 series that's a great idea. But I could see myself getting tempted, and ending up with more 500 stuff than I've now got in 19 inch!
mmp
I bought into 500 series stuff for two reasons. One was the size, my studio needs the space for all of the synths, instead of a mixing console. Second was I could buy a large rack, but add to it as I could afford it. This way I could slowly build my studio with world class input channels without breaking the bank or getting a loan. I have two Radial Workhorse racks, which also have 16 channels of line level mixers (8 each) for my synths. I have also owned API & BAE racks and all have served me well.
sam
Have a look into the Heritage Audio 500 racks, if i had the dough that would be instantly my choice because of their OST linear power distribution system:
http://www.heritageaudio.net/500-series-ost-enclosures-overview/
Quote:
“ON SLOT TECHNOLOGY” takes advantage of last generation power electronics to handle power supply on a “per slot” basis. Each slot has its own power supply linear regulation stages; therefore modules are isolated from the rest. They just share the metal enclosure.

With literally hundreds of brands making 500 series modules, we at Heritage Audio think this is the professional way of handling this reliably, eliminating issues often associated with sharing power between different modules of different brands and natures.
sam
slumberjack wrote:
as i now looked at cases i would love to get one with selectable digital i/o to each slot and/or summing. that would be like Guinness ftw! for post-production...

Not exactly what you are asking for but digital routing is a job for a Fredenstein D series 500 racks thumbs up

http://www.fredenstein.com/bento-10-d
taylor12k
its about choices, choices! if you don't like the 500 format then there are plenty of 19" racks out there that might fit your ergonomics and flow better.

i have both 19" and 500 stuff and my 500 units are generally there because there is no (affordable) 19" version...

a pair of Pultec 500, a pair of neve 551 inductor EQ, a pair of moog ladder filters... a shadow hills dual vandergraph..... you get the idea.

i also keep an API lunchbox with a couple of 1073s in it that i can move around my studio, or outside, easily... as a more mobile, portable tracking pre-amp.

mousegarden wrote:
calaveras
mmp wrote:
I bought into 500 series stuff for two reasons. One was the size, my studio needs the space for all of the synths, instead of a mixing console. Second was I could buy a large rack, but add to it as I could afford it. This way I could slowly build my studio with world class input channels without breaking the bank or getting a loan. I have two Radial Workhorse racks, which also have 16 channels of line level mixers (8 each) for my synths. I have also owned API & BAE racks and all have served me well.

How do you find the summing on the Radial Workhorse?
Are there any gotchas about those units? They are a bit pricey, but they also have every single feature one could want.
billyk419
dubonaire wrote:
I don't have 500 series (yet) but i've spent probably two years researching. The Rupert Neve racks look good to me because they provide a lot of power and also meter power consumption.

I can attest for that. Love my Neve R6. Tons of power and every connection option on the back. I mean would you really expect Neve to jump into making 500 series cases so late in the game (relative to other companies and to how long they've made the 500 series modules themselves) and offer a substandard product?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2