MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Diving in, could use some advice - longer read
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Diving in, could use some advice - longer read
mattmattmatt
Greetings,

I’ve found so much good information from this community so far, I’m hoping to get some advice about my planned system, I would really appreciate some help finding any possible holes in this plan or suggestions to make it better.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/545146

I got an Octatrack about one month ago and it has completely changed everything for me, in such fantastic ways. I would like to build a complete self contained instrument that will mostly be playing alongside the Octatrack, but also coming with me on work trips where I would like to have a single “musical” thing, as I can’t bring along all my synths, pedals, and guitars.

My time spent with a Music Easel has me loving a self contained box with 1/4” audio jacks and midi capabilities. The built in keyboard and 4 voltage presets are now something I’m not sure I could live without, at least for what I am trying to accomplish with this design. I love being able to dial in a drone and play a progression with the 4 presets, then a melody with the other osc and keyboard. I’m not worried about trying to replicate all of the Easel functionality as the Octo can handle the sequencing.

I am going with an Intellijel 7U 104hp Performance Case because it has the audio in/outs and midi taken care of with the 1U tiles along the top, as well as what I think is a nice implementation and good use of space.

My approach with this was to make a Mutable system with 104hp, then have the other 104 include a keyboard and Erbe-Verb (or more if possible)

I kept trying to work it out with the Sputnik touch keyboard, but the extra space available with the Pittsburgh KB-1 seems like it gives the system so much more. Besides finding myself drawn to all things Mutable, the Mangrove and Three Sisters modules keep putting a big smile on my face. Plus having room for LoFi Junky on top of my favorite reverb is wonderful.

So I’m now getting into film scoring at school, after going through most of the production stuff as well as some synthesis and sound design, I’m hoping to make something versatile enough to be my “main instrument to focus on and attempt to master”.

As far as preferences, I love all of the ambient Mutable demos. I play in bands and collaborate with other artists, so mostly everything I would like to do will be tonal in nature, mostly fitting in drones and soundscapes around basses, guitars, sax, violins, drums, where I’ll want to follow along (to an extent) of what the others are doing. I had a quantizer in the rack, but wondering if I can get by without since midi and the keys should be able to keep me in line if needed.

So ambient, I’m a reverb junkie, Trent Reznor has been my favorite artist since the early 90s, so the more aggressive NIN stuff to all of his soundtrack work are some of my favorite sounds ever created. I have a ton of pedals, so the extra ins/outs will let me process anything external as well…if I’m at home with a pile of gear and not on the road.

The Mutable modules are so deep and can play such a wide variety of roles, I’m having trouble wrapping my head around it. Could you please check out my plan here and let me know if you see any problems with too much of this or that, not enough modulation, etc? I went back and forth about Elements so many times, but Braids is just so versatile and I love many of the sounds I’ve heard.

Sorry for the long post, figured it’s better to give too much info than too little when asking for detailed advice. Thank you for any feedback.
cptnal
Lots going on here eek!

If this is your long term plan bear in mind it will change, perhaps radically.

In the first instance I would lay off the duplicates until you're sure that functionality is something you need two of.

How about starting with (for example) Lifeforms, Braids, Peaks and Veils (maybe Links too) and take it from there? Oh, go on.. chuck in Erbe Verb as well if you're a reverb junky. This is fun!
starthief
I like a lot of Mutable stuff, but Peaks didn't suit me as well as other envelopes did. Other people like it though.

My general advice would be: get a few modules at a time and see what shakes out, and consider a bigger case. With this much already planned for, I expect it won't be long before you find yourself trying to fit in a Frames or a Maths or a second filter or other things smile
2disbetter
mattmattmatt wrote:
The Mutable modules are so deep and can play such a wide variety of roles, I’m having trouble wrapping my head around it. Could you please check out my plan here and let me know if you see any problems with too much of this or that, not enough modulation, etc? I went back and forth about Elements so many times, but Braids is just so versatile and I love many of the sounds I’ve heard.

Mutable kind of championed (or at least popularized) the rise of modules that had more than one meaning or embedded functionality. Today however there are MANY modules that embrace the same mindset. (Thank you Olivier!) One thing is for sure, your opinion on your setup will change many times as you use it and acquire more stuff.

Some advice on the Braids though is that because the module is discontinued and because it is a pretty large module, I would look into a uBraids. Same functionality in 8hp. (Got one for sale if you're interested.) Opening up some more space which is great. Space will become your most precious commodity.

Last piece of advice. Go slow. Everyone here with experience will echo the same thing. Many, including myself, rushed head long in, and you end up with a bunch of modules and a changed opinion.

One other thing: There really isn't a right way to build a modular synth. There is a right way per individual, but only you know what that is.

It is better to have a well defined goal in mind and work from there.

2d
cptnal
All true, but I would add that even your goals can change once the awesome range of possibilities your rack offers starts to really sink in.
euromorcego
start slowly and leave some room to expand. You'll know best what is missing after you started playing with the system.

only obvious shortcoming: no envelope with full cv control. Tides can work as an envelope but is a bit wide (and I like it MUCH better as an oscillator). I'd consider something like a MN Function or SSF MiniSlew.

You can work with external line signals (Veils and Clouds will both work with line signals) but I'd also miss an envelope follower and gate (maybe MI Ears) to make full use of the Octratrack.

Otherwise don't overthink it, just get going with a subset of the modules and see how it works. No one rerally can tell you if a certain workflow is the right thing for you, in the end you have to find it out yourself ...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1