MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Favorite cheap Fuzz/distortion for synth ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Favorite cheap Fuzz/distortion for synth ?
Jturbide
I've seen some topics from like 2011 but yeah.. things change.

What is your favorite/a great fuzz/distortion for synths ?

I'm Looking for something cheap, I'm not buying an empress multidrive or interstellar overdriver deluxe.

I'm thinking something like a BigMuff, RAT, ... ? Something like a fuzz war would might fit the budget but it would be the limit..

I play guitar and synths, currently have no pedals (use VSTs for reverb/delay) and would love a fuzz that would work great with both.
Antlerface
I love a cheap Rat2/Little Bear RATTACK or similar. Can go from nice crunchy OD to a pretty ripping almost fuzz sounding distortion. $60

The Montreal Assembly Your & You're is great for crushed and super Velcro filtered fuzz. Also pretty cheap. $90

The Fulltone OCD is also great on synth and guitar. You can get a clone from Joyo (Ultimate Drive?) for like $30 too.
Jturbide
Thanks Antlerface ! I really don't like how joyo, rowin, and all those extremely cheap pedals looks, I prefer spending $40 more and have a big muff for example.

I once had the RAT2, liked it with guitar but didn't try it with synths.

I'll check the MTLAssembly later, didn't thought about that one, good suggestion !
Jturbide
I've just ordered the MTLAssembly YaY w00t Thanks again Antlerface
p.j.
Not exactly fuzz but the Hotone Krush bit crusher is pretty awesome for its size and price point. Metal construction despite its toylike appearance.
https://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/skyline/frequency/107.html
kragg
I never really liked the Big Muff emulations i tried on synths, but i dig the RAT.
On synths, sometimes octaver fuzz (like the Octavia) sounds great, sometimes not, depending on your synth settings.
Jturbide
Just ordered a DBA Interstellar Overdriver to go with the YaY. This is fun!
.... I might have go a little over my budget, but I got a great deal on the DBA so... SlayerBadger!
Antlerface
Those two dirt pedals will be really great together.

Do yourself a favor and don't look up the Pretty Years bs SS/BS. It's the most amazing gain stage on the planet. Stellar with synth..
MARK27
I consider myself to be a fuzz connoisseur in eurorack, and there are really only two top contenders as far as I'm concerned: The ZVEX Fuzz Factory and the Retro Mechanical Labs EFC-CV. They are both around the same price; about $300.

If you are looking for fuzz on the cheap, I'd look first to the Frequency Central Meth Amp, especially if you can DIY it.

Even cheaper, the Synthrotek 308 was modeled on the RAT and sounds good, but some people are feeling weird about buying Synthrotek these days.

Finally, lots of people swear by the RYO Optodist. Not a lot of fine tuning or control, but the price is right and it does sound good.
Jturbide
Hey thanks Mark27 but I'm no eurorack owner. I started a 5U system that I sold to buy a Waldorf Blofeld KB. (still have to sell the case)
MARK27
Oh okay, my bad.

That being said, ZVEX and Retro Mechanical Labs do more pedal products than eurorack anyway.

RML can be pricey, but all his stuff is handmade and he does beautiful woodwork for his pedals.
unclebastard
A second hand Big Muff is great, or a DOD FX52 Classic Fuzz which is a Big Muff clone in standard pedal size. I like running one output from my Nova IIX through FX, and the other dry.
Shrigg
My favorite cheap fuzz is the Mooer FOG Bass Fuzz. It is a Wooly Mammoth clone in a small 1590a-sized enclosure which I like. Very zippy and synthy and a steal at $60 new
R.U.Nuts
Well I'm curious about cheap dirt pedals for synths, too. The ones I have all sound crap on synths: original little big muff, diy green russian clone, diy fuzz factory clone, cheap tubescreamer clone. They all sound poor with synths. They generally seem to cut off the low frequencies and at high gain setings they often sound just like narrow pulse waves. Seems like all these pedals can't handle the low impedance, high gain outputs of synths. -or I'm doing somehing terribly wrong.
All I want is some warm, wooly saturation.
nyannarz
All of the single effect Devi pedals run for under 100 bucks. You're bound to find something you'll like.
tuj
Boss MT-2 'metalzone'

works well because of the 3-band eq with sweepable mid.
Antlerface
Metalzone is often overlooked, which is a shame because the 3 band eq makes it insanely tweakable.
kragg
Antlerface wrote:
Metalzone is often overlooked, which is a shame because the 3 band eq makes it insanely tweakable.

A friend swears by the MetaZone (used with a MS20), but i hate this pedal with a passion Dead Banana
I agree that a good eq is a real nice feature on a distorsion. The Boss ROD10 will give you plenty distorsion flavours along with a nice eq on top of it It's peanut butter jelly time!
mateo
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Well I'm curious about cheap dirt pedals for synths, too. The ones I have all sound crap on synths: original little big muff, diy green russian clone, diy fuzz factory clone, cheap tubescreamer clone. They all sound poor with synths. They generally seem to cut off the low frequencies and at high gain setings they often sound just like narrow pulse waves. Seems like all these pedals can't handle the low impedance, high gain outputs of synths. -or I'm doing somehing terribly wrong.
All I want is some warm, wooly saturation.

Yeah, that sounds like impedance mismatch, which is an issue with fuzz pedals as they're designed to load the guitar's pickups.

I like my proco rat on synths, sounds great. The MXR distortion + is good too, if I recall correctly.
notjoesuthers
I love how octave fuzzes sound on synth. The Joyo Voodoo Octave is pretty cheap and sounds good.
kragg
notjoesuthers wrote:
I love how octave fuzzes sound on synth. The Joyo Voodoo Octave is pretty cheap and sounds good.

+1
Tycobrahe Octavia sounds gorgeous on a synth like a Pro1, and the FoxxTone Machine can also sound wonderful.
pricklyrobot
Danelectro French Toast is an excellent, cheap Foxx Tone clone.
Sleipnir
Late to the game, but I’ve been having good luck with the Bass Big Muff Deluxe.
Useful stuff like Wet/Dry mix, and all the low end comes through.
Rockin' Banana!
MindMachine
I've had good luck with the Joyo brand. I use the American on Microbrute and Micromoog.

I also like the EH Analogizer for a little drive and 'reverb'.

edit - I used the Californian on the Microbrute.

And now I try the RAT.
johny_gtr
Sovtek (black box) Big Muff -very bassy and agressive for synths and basses
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2