MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Comments on my next step? - sorry for not being a pro
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Comments on my next step? - sorry for not being a pro
Onytay
I want to apologize if this is a muff faux pas

Hey all!

A few weeks ago I got started with my 2*84hp rack.
I've been toying with the 3 modules I have and it's fun, but I wanted to get some structure and tonality into my experimentation so here is my next plan.
Modules to buy, remove, upgrade? Any comments are welcome!
I want to never stop learning...

My current setup:
modular grid, my current rack

Soon:
modular grid, the next step

Cheers,
Onytay help
euromorcego
no "muff faux pas" at all.

Do you have any other gear that works with the modular? Maybe a SQ-1 sequencer or beatstep pro?

For now, i'd rather get a simple sequencer that the uScale. Braids already has a quantizer included, so the uScale won't add much for now ...
cptnal
1. Not a faux pas at all. Welcome!

2. Your approach is absolutely the right thing to do and your next steps look sensible.

3. If you're looking for a suggestion, mine is try some VCAs - modulate your modulation and see how much fun you can have with that.

This is fun!

Edit: Not a Braids owner, so didn't know about its quantizer. And you only have one sound source, so you wouldn't get the use of the B output. VCAs though thumbs up
LoFi Junglist
You'll need a Offset+Attenuator to pair with your quantizer thumbs up
Onytay
Thanks! Guess I'll have to toy around more with the quantizer mode on the braids itself then...

So if I decide against the uScale what would be another suggestion? For a VCA or so perhaps?
euromorcego
Onytay wrote:

So if I decide against the uScale what would be another suggestion? For a VCA or so perhaps?

my vote is still for a small (external or in the rack) small sequencer. Sq-1 is hard to beat wrt to price.

With respect to modules, a "classic" addition would be a filter and a VCA. Filter: any is good. Doepfer has a few inexpensive ones that sound good. With respect to VCA i would invest in a dual or quad VCA (like Veils or uVCA), you'll need more than one anyway ... sooner or later.

To play with more interesting modulation/sequences, I would recommend looking for an (inexpensive) Wogglebug v1 or a Turing machine (DIY, but they are frequently sold).
cptnal
LoFi Junglist wrote:

hmmm..... There's a big fat hairy Maths in the middle of that rack. More attenuation?

...and I second euromorcego's recommendations.
rew_
save space and money by moving your mults (especially your passive mults) outside the rack. you can even still do Intellijel.

https://intellijel.com/hub/
Onytay
Quote:
With respect to modules, a "classic" addition would be a filter and a VCA. Filter: any is good. Doepfer has a few inexpensive ones that sound good. With respect to VCA i would invest in a dual or quad VCA (like Veils or uVCA), you'll need more than one anyway ... sooner or later.

To play with more interesting modulation/sequences, I would recommend looking for an (inexpensive) Wogglebug v1 or a Turing machine (DIY, but they are frequently sold).

Does the doepfer wasp filter sound like a good start?
gliftor
I think a dual or quad VCA with a mix output would be useful almost without regard to your musical goals - but after that it depends entirely on the music you want to make and your process for making music.
LoFi Junglist
cptnal wrote:
LoFi Junglist wrote:

hmmm..... There's a big fat hairy Maths in the middle of that rack. More attenuation?

Yes, freeing up half of a $300 module that's being used just for offset/attenuation is a great idea.

Now that the quantizer choice is off the table I agree a SQ-1 would be a great option for next purchase thumbs up

... and a sequential switch and clock divider (hides)
Onytay
NEW IDEA?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_545984.jpg
cptnal
Onytay wrote:
Quote:

Does the doepfer wasp filter sound like a good start?

Filters are very subjective (especially the Wasp - it has that name for a reason eek! ). Best thing is to have a Google around for Eurorack filters, check them out on YouTube and see which one suits you. If you ask a hundred Wigglers what the best filter is you'll get a hundred different answers Dead Banana
cptnal
LoFi Junglist wrote:
Yes, freeing up half of a $300 module that's being used just for offset/attenuation is a great idea.

Good point thumbs up

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-183-2

One of my favorite modules, and well under
calvinsomething
What about an Intellijel Linix instead of the SE VCA.

And something to sample/loop the Ears?
Onytay
Linix seems a bit pricey...
Is it bad that I would just assume a 100$ dual vca is enough?
LoFi Junglist
Onytay wrote:
Is it bad that I would just assume a 100$ dual vca is enough?

I don't think you have anywhere near enough audio or modulation sources to need a Linix.

Some 2 channel VCAs, like the uVCA II from Intellijel (the later models, not the original models) will mix the outputs of both VCAs, which is pretty handy.
Onytay
So is the SE VCA not good?
Others that interested me were the QVCMix Doepfer A-135-1... any thoughts?
bedhed3000
Look at the intellijel quad VCA. It's priced in between the Linix and the SE VCA, plus you can combine all four outs, or do submixes, or have all outs run independently.

As far as studio electronics modules go (speaking of filters), I really want to try out the 4075 VCF.
cptnal
...and thinking ahead a quad VCA isn't a bad idea - you still have a lot of rack to fill.

Besides, there's a lot you can use a VCA for even with relatively few modules...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NrzM6L5S5M
(and parts two and three)
Onytay
thank you so much for everyone's helpful replies i have actually had a lot of negative experience with forums and online discussions so I am somehow flattered to get my questions answered. Please don't stop making suggestions as I add ideas to my rack. The quad vca/filter by doepfer I mentioned seems like the way to go for me or no?
cptnal
Welcome to Muff's, the most civilized forum on the net. Guinness ftw!

With respect to the A-135-1, you could do a lot worse than Doepfer. They're solid, unfussy, and inexpensive. That said, they tend not have as many features as the competition, and they can be BIG. Not an issue for you at the moment but you might want to consider what your rack will be like when it's a bit more full.
Onytay
cptnal wrote:
Welcome to Muff's, the most civilized forum on the net. Guinness ftw!

With respect to the A-135-1, you could do a lot worse than Doepfer. They're solid, unfussy, and inexpensive. That said, they tend not have as many features as the competition, and they can be BIG. Not an issue for you at the moment but you might want to consider what your rack will be like when it's a bit more full.

So what are my options? Mutable Instruments and intellijel?
cptnal
So many...

MI Veils, ALM Tangle Quartet, Intellijel Quad VCA are +some+ of the best sellers. Some have features that the others don't (offsets, linear/exponential, gain boost, etc...) You really just need to have a look around and see which one you think would suit you best.

If you're still undecided either go for the cheapest (probably Doepfer) or follow the herd (probably Veils).
Onytay
cptnal wrote:
So many...

MI Veils, ALM Tangle Quartet, Intellijel Quad VCA are +some+ of the best sellers. Some have features that the others don't (offsets, linear/exponential, gain boost, etc...) You really just need to have a look around and see which one you think would suit you best.

If you're still undecided either go for the cheapest (probably Doepfer) or follow the herd (probably Veils).

Thank you for the advice I still like doepfer but I'll look around at the features and price ranges and how much to they take up in my skiff.

Btw I have since played around more with the braids quantizer and will maybe eventually get another voice and the uscale but I'll wait for now.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2