MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Time to start ordering modules!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Time to start ordering modules!
MoDuLuS10
SO my case will be here in about 4 weeks, so i need to start picking a few modules to start off my adventure.

I know i want a good sequencer out of the gate, and im looking at the Intellijel Metropolis but what recommendations do you have for some additional pieces? Im heading to NAMM in January to really deep dive on whats available, but don't want to wait to get started when my case arrives!

So what VCO's, VCA.s and VCF's would be a great place to start before i get the opportunity to go and test drive stuff at NAMM?

Thanks in advance, and sorry of this is repost - i did some some threads on oscillators, but not much on a good basic starting system - so post, point me to other threads, whatever info you may have!!

M
mutierend
You should ask this in the Eurorack forum.
revtor
Find the thread about “what I would do different if I started again”.

Good info there.

Common beginner thoughts. Don’t chase the latest and greatest. Start with only a couple modules and learn them one at a time, don’t start filling your case right off the bat. Buy used to save $$$.

Think about how you want to control the thing, -from your DAW, from a keyboard, just from the front panel etc. get appropriate module. this will help the synth slot into your workflow right off the bat.

Have fun, don’t spend it all

Steve
sduck
mutierend wrote:
You should ask this in the Eurorack forum.

If it is indeed a euro specific question. To the OP - let us know if you have a specific format in mind.
cptnal
How big is the case you have on order? It could be full by January eek!
MoDuLuS10
sorry about that - yes this is eurorack or outboard specific - and yes i have been following the "what I would do different if I started again" thread - good stuff indeed.

the rack itself is 168hp x 18U so lots of space, and yes probably filled by February (NAMM is gonna prove to be expensive this year smile )
worra
MoDuLuS10 wrote:
sorry about that - yes this is eurorack or outboard specific - and yes i have been following the "what I would do different if I started again" thread - good stuff indeed.

the rack itself is 168hp x 18U so lots of space, and yes probably filled by February (NAMM is gonna prove to be expensive this year smile )

Wow!

Thats a huge amount of space to work with for your first case. I know a lot of folks say a common pitfall is starting with a case that's too small. I don't think you'll have any problems there. grin
Antlerface
That is a massive fuckin case! Buy whatever you want! No worries about space co strainers that's for sure.
bougie
buy a maths lol
pieter
What kind of music do you want to make?

Maths is a good suggestion. You have to choose the oscillators and filters that sound best to you (youtube is your friend). Everybody here will suggest their own favourites, and you'll end up with a missive list. Loquelic Iteritas is very popular, and so is the Xaoc Belgrad. I love Sara VCF. I have the LI, and it is great. I plan on getting the Belgrad at some point as well.

I can also definitely recommend the Ultra Random Analog:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/steady-state-fate-ultra-random-analog
cptnal
+1 for LI and Belgrad. I have both and they play very nicely together.
revtor
Are you new to modular? synthesis? I assume so or else you wouldn't be here.. - get a few basic VCO's, LFO's EG's Mixers, VCAs. Learn the basics before diving into the world of modules with menus, submenus, and firmware. You will get a lot more out of every module you have by understanding these foundation basics.

Youtube is not a good way to figure out what sound oscillator fits you. Really, how can a shit phone video of a 15 module patch tell you anything about the sound of an oscillator's waveforms. DUH. Youtube is a good place to find interesting sounding patches. Individual modules? Not as much. Plus, the sound of one sawtooth is not going to be that far off another. Its a mathematical truth. The features of the module are what set them apart. And how they interact with every other jack hole on your synth.

My 2 cents- Stick with one manufacturer at first. At least then you know all the modules play nicely together.
And the best advise is to start small, and figure out what you want as you go but I think you'll forget that tip. Prepare to confused

~Steve
MoDuLuS10
Not new to modular synthesis, just been away for a long time - when I studied synthesis in school - i did my senior performance on a pair of giant Moog modular systems. I also did my senior paper on Fourier Synthesis. So not new - just been away a long long time.

SO getting back into it - with a fairly decent budget, and am lucky enough to be going to NAMM in January so ill have time to test drive some stuff, but with all the different manufacturers, its a little overwhelming just picking a place to start, the NAMM map shows over 20 different modular vendors are going to be there...
pieter
revtor wrote:
how can a shit phone video of a 15 module patch tell you anything about the sound of an oscillators waveforms.

There are plenty of good videos on youtube that show off the sounds and features of oscillators and filters. Check out DivKid, MylarMelodies and Color My Sound for notable high quality channels.

If you don't have a eurorack shop in your neighborhood (i.e., most of us) then it's hard to get hands on experience with new modules. And while synth meets are great fun, they're often too noisy to really get a good feel for the sound of a module.

Quote:
And the best advise is to start small

This I heartily agree with.
cptnal
pieter wrote:
revtor wrote:
how can a shit phone video of a 15 module patch tell you anything about the sound of an oscillators waveforms.

There are plenty of good videos on youtube that show off the sounds and features of oscillators and filters. Check out DivKid, MylarMelodies and Color My Sound for notable high quality channels.

applause Big shout out for those guys. This game would be so much harder without them we're not worthy
pieter
Oh, and I almost forgot John Rice! Great channel.
bemerritt

Then dedicate a row to "boring" stuff
Then Dedicate a row to percussion modules

cant say that wouldnt be fun

PS, I'm only half serious as I basically picked the most popular manufactures and put most of their modules. But I am full serious that it would be fun as hell.
pieter
You'll have a hard time mounting those Mangroves like that...
revtor
Well welcome back into the game. It’s crazy these days. With that much space I’d start thinking about designing voices, a percussion section, a sequencing row, effects block etc. plenty of space for a full studio in that case!!
MoogCloud
This should be pretty fun, 18U 168hp. Your background suggests you know the theory of modular synthesis better than I do, so there is little I can suggest other than personal experience and preference. I goofed up on my first purchases when I had only 2 VCAs. That is a mistake easily rectified. I like Intellijel's QUAD VCA. The 3 db boost is quite helpful. I also like filters that sound different from one another and have: Ripples, Sisters, and Aperture. Each one is radically different in sound and ability to modulate the settings. I also like the ER-101 Quad Sequencer. I waited a long time (10 weeks) to get one, but it is a sequencer that will take a long time to exhaust. Another favorite is Pamela's New Workout with the PEXP-1 expander module. This gives me 12 (one dozen!) clock outputs in addition to MiDi IN and MiDi OUT. Its a crazy good module.

Have fun filling your rack and experimenting. It's peanut butter jelly time!
misterphoneman
No sales before you have 100 posts. I also noticed the numbers run - while it's 103 posts now (as I write this), it was maybe 90 when you posted this.
2disbetter
So given your experience, large is what you probably prefer. Just remember that what you did with the giant Moog rack back then can now probably be done in a single 3u 168hp skiff.

As someone who started with what they professed was going to be a modest 9u 104hp system, but grew to, 12u, 15u, 18u, back to 15u, then 12u, and finally 9u again, only to now bounce between 12 and 9u, I'd say just be prepared for a wild and fun ride. Your wallet will not enjoy this journey as much as you.

2d
pieter
misterphoneman, no sales when you have < 100 posts. angry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1