MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Please help me with some basic patches. (S&H, and Quanti
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Please help me with some basic patches. (S&H, and Quanti
Oodo85
Hey guys. Started small here to dip my toes into modular, really liking it. Although I am still not clear on everything I have a lot of fun creating basic sequences and drum patterns.

However I just got the disting mk4, and would like to start doing a little more complicated patches. I don't quite understand how I would do a basic sample and hold patch (or at least when I tried I got no direct audio(audible) out, just CV out). Also I'm not sure if I had the quantizer patched up in the right place in my sequence.

Any tips for some patches using the disting with my specific rig?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/512677 my mini rig
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_512677.jpg

Thank you
Drakhe
Sample and hold out is indeed CV, goes into your 1V/Oct input on your oscillator.
The quantizer usualy goes between the S&H and the OSC (or sequencer and OSC, etc). It will force the CV to be restricted to the notes set on the quantizer.
mypetrobot
Drakhe wrote:
Sample and hold out is indeed CV

Unless you clock it at audio rate, then it turns into a bit crusher (sample rate reducer?)
adnauseam
I don't see a quantizer but I do see a Disting. Are you using the quantizer mode? It's fairly straight forward. Place your CV signal (to generate the notes) into the disting, be sure to have it in the correct mode. One mode is untriggered and the other requires triggers to change notes and will spit a gate out when the input changes. Check the disting reference to be sure.

What module is generating your cv signal for notes?
Oodo85
adnauseam wrote:
I don't see a quantizer but I do see a Disting. Are you using the quantizer mode? It's fairly straight forward. Place your CV signal (to generate the notes) into the disting, be sure to have it in the correct mode. One mode is untriggered and the other requires triggers to change notes and will spit a gate out when the input changes. Check the disting reference to be sure.

What module is generating your cv signal for notes?

My basic patch for my sequence of notes is RPG clock -> ryo penta seq -> 1v/Octave of my Bermuda VCO
adnauseam
I'm still a little confused what you want to do with a Sample and hold.

You have a penta sequencing notes - do you want them quantized?

You mentioned a sample and hold in your first post--is this what you're using the Disting for? What's going INTO the Disting for this purpose?

Seems like you only have one raw sound generator (the vco).
Looking at what you have this sounds fun:

RPG Out 1 -> Clock in Penta
Penta CV Out -> CV IN Disting in SnH mode
RPG Out 2 - Clocking Disting's SnH + clocking ADSR wired to VCA
Disting -> CV Out to Bermuda
Bermuda Out -> VCA Input
VCA Out - Audio Output to chosen destination

With the Penta Sequence and the SnH receiving different clocks you won't be exactly sure which stage you'll get but it'll be one of the 5 voltages you've chosen.
You've still got two outputs of the RPG at your disposal - drums perhaps?
I believe the Disting SnH mode is dual so you could have another SnH going on but I believe it will be syncd to the one and only clock.
hyena
mypetrobot wrote:
Drakhe wrote:
Sample and hold out is indeed CV

Unless you clock it at audio rate, then it turns into a bit crusher (sample rate reducer?)

analog sample rate reduction yep
Oodo85
adnauseam wrote:

You mentioned a sample and hold in your first post--is this what you're using the Disting for? What's going INTO the Disting for this purpose?

Bermuda Out -> VCA Input

With the Penta Sequence and the SnH receiving different clocks you won't be exactly sure which stage you'll get but it'll be one of the 5 voltages you've chosen.
I believe the Disting SnH mode is dual so you could have another SnH going on but I believe it will be syncd to the one and only clock.

I guess I don't really know WHAT to do with sample and hold. Via the disting
hyena
the Sample&Hold circuit is an analog sampler that stores the value the signal in has the moment the circuit is triggered and retains it until the next trigger. it is usually fed a white noise to generate random values but you can use it to "staircase" up any kind of signal (a sine wave lfo, a saw lfo, an envelope...) and ,as said, if you clock it at audio rate (eg: with a square wave vco in audio rate in the clk in) you can sample the signal in with a sample rate dictated by the frequency of the vco used as a clock. so, if the vco goes below the signal frequency (actually below 2xsignal frequency) you are downsampling your signal achieving a sample rate reduction effect (digital distortion).

Oodo85 wrote:
adnauseam wrote:

Bermuda Out -> VCA Input

I guess I don't really know WHAT to do with sample and hold. Via the disting
cptnal
Nedrush helped me understand S&H with this video (it's also funny):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ie7xlm4vio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1