MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Patchbay: 15 in to 1 out?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Patchbay: 15 in to 1 out?
estebandito
Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to patch this thing so all of its channels are directed to a single output. I will be testing it by simply trying sometime next week, but it would be of great help if anyone here knows how to do this?

xonetacular
you need a mixer not a patch bay
JohnLRice
eek! So, you want to mix 31 mono signals into 1 or mix 15 stereo signals into 1 pair? I don't think that will give you any kind of results that will be usable. For that you should use a mixer with enough inputs.

Now, if you want to split one mono signal into 31 or one stereo pair into 15 stereo pairs, that would be more doable but likely wont work so well either because the signal will get too weak. For that many splits you'd want an active multiple.

If you can explain exactly what you are trying to do it would be easier to offer suggestions. cool
Kent
Don’t do it. You are basically wiring a bunch of outputs into each. It could be entertaining to observe with hot signal levels but it isn’t what you want.

As mentioned: you want a mixer.
estebandito
Hey thanks for your comments. I realize I should have mentioned I want to use this as a live video patcher and distorting the signal is what I am after; to really mess things up. But in order to see the results I need one output to go to a tv monitor. Sorry I forgot to point that out. Also I will hook up a signal booster between the output and the monitor.
sutekina bipu-on
You could get an AV type mixer with euroblock input/outputs really cheap and it'll probably be nice and noisy?
calaveras
Component video, RGB, YYPbPr?
video stuff has specific impedance things going on. I'm not sure how you would do this properly so you aren't violating some law of thermodynamics.
You may end up with all 15 video outputs hammering voltage into the outputs of the other devices.
sutekina bipu-on
calaveras wrote:
video stuff has specific impedance things going on. I'm not sure how you would do this properly so you aren't violating some law of thermodynamics.
You may end up with all 15 video outputs hammering voltage into the outputs of the other devices.

I'd love to hear how thermodynamics are related to video signals. And you can't use Laserdiscs as an example because we're not talking about reading from an optical disc.

To add to this embarrassing post YYPbPr is component and it's all 75 ohm anyway.
estebandito
Euroblocks, ey? That actually sounds interesting. But want to try using cables with plugs on them first - for the sake of convenience. Been feeding and feedbacking signals into cheap video effects mixers, messing with video signals and potentiometers for while now, and I know what results I am likely to get. The patch bay idea seemed like a convenient option for live situations. So that's why I wondered if anyone can tell me how - if possible- to route the inputs of a patch bay to a single output.
calaveras
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
calaveras wrote:

I'd love to hear how thermodynamics are related to video signals. And you can't use Laserdiscs as an example because we're not talking about reading from an optical disc.

To add to this embarrassing post YYPbPr is component and it's all 75 ohm anyway.

You are welcome.
My point was that video is usually 75 ohm when it's analog. And there is a constant impedance system where inputs and outputs have the same impedance to ameliorate reflection.

Thermodynamics?
Joke. Get a sense of humor, biscuit.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1