MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pedal power, batteries or AC?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Pedal power, batteries or AC?
mousegarden
My pedal collection is expanding, I've heard a lot of talk about batteries being less noisy in multiple pedal set-ups. I was going to buy an MXR ISO-Brick but I'm not sure now.
pricklyrobot
I use AC for most stuff, but keep a few NiMH rechargeables around for a couple of fuzz pedals that like to broadcast the local Tejano stations when plugged into the wall thumbs up
Muzone
Batteries are the least noisy power source, but quite a few pedals don't take them - the ISO brick is OK but does have a rather lumpy wall wart PSU.
I prefer something that has IEC connection - would recommend the Truetone CS7 or 12 depending on how many pedals you think you might use......
mousegarden
Muzone wrote:
Batteries are the least noisy power source, but quite a few pedals don't take them - the ISO brick is OK but does have a rather lumpy wall wart PSU.
I prefer something that has IEC connection - would recommend the Truetone CS7 or 12 depending on how many pedals you think you might use......

I think I might go for the ISO Brick, but I'll do a bit of research on the CS7
I take it the Truetone is an isolated supply, not just a daisy chain?
Muzone
Yes, Truetone bricks use an isolated switching power supply smile
mousegarden
My local dealer has the Iso-Brick, and he's only a couple of miles away, sometimes decisions get made for you!

hihi
Muzone
Just check the wall wart is UK 3-pin, or at least the one with swappable prongs.....
mousegarden
Muzone wrote:
Just check the wall wart is UK 3-pin, or at least the one with swappable prongs.....

I guess it will be, or have one of those clip on adaptor thingies, hopefully.
Yasha
Some pedals that have battery clips don't seem to function well with batteries. I have a TC Electronic T2 reverb that won't last an hour with a new battery before switching off.

I've read that this is a problem with many digital reverb pedals, in that they're quite voltage sensitive and the voltage of a 9v alkaline battery drops over its life cycle. I don't know if this is what is happening with my T2 reverb -- the same battery will work again the next day, again switching off after some time has passed.

I'm interested in battery power because I like to take my noise making outdoors. For reverb I may be looking at either: 1) the Zoom MS-70CDR which supposedly lasts several hours on 2 AA rechargeable batteries (I know my Zoom G2.1u multi-effects pedal does pretty well on 4 AAs), or 2) a rechargeable power bank.
kcd06
I've a wallwart driven MXR brick powering a number of pedals, with no problems or noise. Short of playing a show in the middle of a damp field, I really don't understand why someone would insist on using batteries--especially in a studio or other fixed setting. If a person has that much noise coming in on the mains or a noisy grounding problem in the setup, that is something far more important to address.
FUUUCCKKKK!!!
mousegarden
Yasha wrote:
Some pedals that have battery clips don't seem to function well with batteries. I have a TC Electronic T2 reverb that won't last an hour with a new battery before switching off.

I've read that this is a problem with many digital reverb pedals, in that they're quite voltage sensitive and the voltage of a 9v alkaline battery drops over its life cycle. I don't know if this is what is happening with my T2 reverb -- the same battery will work again the next day, again switching off after some time has passed.

I'm interested in battery power because I like to take my noise making outdoors. For reverb I may be looking at either: 1) the Zoom MS-70CDR which supposedly lasts several hours on 2 AA rechargeable batteries (I know my Zoom G2.1u multi-effects pedal does pretty well on 4 AAs), or 2) a rechargeable power bank.

I had an MS70CDR, and can vouch for the battery life, they last for ages.
Antlerface
If you can get one I'd go for one of the Strymon PSU. They're awesome.
Future Aztec
I build all my pedal with a solar powder coated enclosure. In the morning I just lay them on the window sill. And even on rainy days my 1590a pedals are good for long gigs or jam sessions after just a few hours charging.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1