MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Moog Little Phatty gate will not trigger, help?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Moog Little Phatty gate will not trigger, help?!
flextone
Hi,

just bought a second hand little phatty (sounds gorgeous) and I can't trigger it's gate externally no matter what I do. I've tried a x0xio and the trigger signal from a Yocto 808 to no avail. Is my KB Gate input busted or is it just a matter of attenuating the gate signal?

This is driving me crazy very frustrating

===

Moderator edit: I changed the title to spell out "Little Phatty" clearly. "LP Gate" has another meaning around these parts (Low Pass Gate) and it is confusing to see it in a thread title.
Struggle
Does the gate stay open when you put a dummy cable into gate?
flextone
Struggle wrote:
Does the gate stay open when you put a dummy cable into gate?

Yeah it does, but it stays open no matter what I send in.

Thanks,
R
rkilman
The last post in this thread might help...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60363&sid=0de73e9625 1cf7251c3ee418879c13dc
Jason Brock
flextone wrote:
Hi,

just bought a second hand little phatty (sounds gorgeous) and I can't trigger it's gate externally no matter what I do. I've tried a x0xio and the trigger signal from a Yocto 808 to no avail.

Maybe those devices are sending a very short trigger pulse that is too quick? Do you have anything with a square wave LFO output that you could plug in? Something that would sustain the "high" portion of the gate signal?
flextone
Jason Brock wrote:
flextone wrote:
Hi,

just bought a second hand little phatty (sounds gorgeous) and I can't trigger it's gate externally no matter what I do. I've tried a x0xio and the trigger signal from a Yocto 808 to no avail.

Maybe those devices are sending a very short trigger pulse that is too quick? Do you have anything with a square wave LFO output that you could plug in? Something that would sustain the "high" portion of the gate signal?

Perhaps, but it's all I have right now to test it with. I've just sold a ton of hardware hihi

I doubt the x0x gate out outputs a shorter gate than say an Oberkorn or Dark Time.

rkilman wrote:
the last post in this thread might help...https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60363&sid=0de 73e96251cf7251c3ee418879c13dc

No that's not it, I've searched allover the net including this the thread you linked to. It seems a lot of LP owners are having issues with this.

I wonder if something like the Doepfer passive dual attenuator will do the trick.
http://www.doepfer.de/a1831.htm
albiedamned
I've had to apply a small negative offset to the gate signal to get my LP to work with external gates from my eurorack. It seems like it wants it to be a little below 0V when it's off.
calaveras
This isn't something silly like an S-Trig vs V-Trig issue is it? I cannot imagine Moog still using short to ground when everyone else is using +5 volts.
No wait, I could imagine that.
The Sub phatty manual says +5v.
Didn't come across a Lil Phatty manual.
Wait. I have a Taurus III. I'll see what that does. It's the same general running stock as a Lil Phatty.
flextone
albiedamned wrote:
I've had to apply a small negative offset to the gate signal to get my LP to work with external gates from my eurorack. It seems like it wants it to be a little below 0V when it's off.

Great thanks for chiming in. Good to know my LP isn't broken. Now I just need to figure out how to trigger it... Wasn't planning to splurge on a CP251 so soon.

calaveras wrote:
This isn't something silly like an S-Trig vs V-Trig issue is it? I cannot imagine Moog still using short to ground when everyone else is using +5 volts.
No wait, I could imagine that.
The Sub phatty manual says +5v.
Didn't come across a Lil Phatty manual.
Wait. I have a Taurus III. I'll see what that does. It's the same general running stock as a Lil Phatty.

That would be awesome thanks. The LP manual claims the KB Gate input also takes +5V, strangely. So it's either S-trig, which is evident by the droning open gate while dummy jack is inserted, or +5V V-trig? Could be that values bigger than +5V simply do not work. What does the Taurus III do?
flextone
Maybe this is worth a shot:

https://www.musicstore.de/en_BA/EUR/Koma-Elektronik-Attenuator-Cable/a rt-SYN0004623-000

Not sure of attenuating is enough, as opposed to shifting the entire signal to be bi-polar.
calaveras
Gimme a little bit. My modular is like 50 feet from the Taurus. I'll have to move stuff.
flextone
calaveras wrote:
Gimme a little bit. My modular is like 50 feet from the Taurus. I'll have to move stuff.

No rush! Doing just fine with MIDI so far. Just would like to know if attenuating the signal is the solution, as opposed to shifting it altogether right down to a negative voltage.
calaveras
So I messed with it last night. Yeah it triggers just dandy from my 4MS RCD set to gate or Trig.
Took me a minute to get it working.
One thing that I tripped over since I was interfacing with my Eurorack set up, is that I have a lot of TRS adapters and 1/4" TRS cables. You want to use a TS cable that is TS on both ends.

I also found out that the Taurus III does NOT sound good when you try to FM the filter with an audio rate signal. It overdrives in a very crappy, cheap sounding way.
Anyone want to trade an OB6 for a T3? hmmm.....
flextone
calaveras wrote:
So I messed with it last night. Yeah it triggers just dandy from my 4MS RCD set to gate or Trig.
Took me a minute to get it working.
One thing that I tripped over since I was interfacing with my Eurorack set up, is that I have a lot of TRS adapters and 1/4" TRS cables. You want to use a TS cable that is TS on both ends.

I also found out that the Taurus III does NOT sound good when you try to FM the filter with an audio rate signal. It overdrives in a very crappy, cheap sounding way.
Anyone want to trade an OB6 for a T3? hmmm.....

Great thanks. If the 4ms RCD outputs a +5V gate signal, why doesn't 10V work from the x0xb0x? The RCD isn't bi-polar is it?
calaveras
AFAIK RCD outputs gate or trig at +5v.
No not bipolar.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1