MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Production game changers!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Author Production game changers!
fanwander
I had two game changers in my musical life:

1.) Multitracking.
Beeing able to record a track, and then record another track and another and ..., that was incredibly inspiring. In fact, it was not recording any instrument, but recording my voice. I was used from real life to hear several instruments playing at the same time. So it is nothing special to hear several tracks I played. But in my real life I cannot hear myself several times. Singing many tracks with my own voice and hearing those 'choirs' was mindblowing.
For me it was a Tascam 144 cassette deck.

2.) Learning, that its not the equipment.
I had started to work as an engineer in recording studios in 1982, but it took me seven years until I had a customer, who made such a beautiful music that it made me cry, though she used only a casio home keyboard (not the sample based ones from to day, but a really ugly sounding from the 80s...).
dubonaire
fanwander wrote:
I had two game changers in my musical life:

2.) Learning, that its not the equipment.
I had started to work as an engineer in recording studios in 1982, but it took me seven years until I had a customer, who made such a beautiful music that it made me cry, though she used only a casio home keyboard (not the sample based ones from to day, but a really ugly sounding from the 80s...).

That's a wonderful story.
DJMaytag
Bussing. I started out in DAW's not using ANY sort of buss system, and that was a carryover from an analog 8-Buss console where I never understood how to utilize busses for processing/grouping certain sounds (I literally never assigned anything to a buss, as I thought that was only for multitracking things to ADATs and the like). That's been a HUGE improvement in sound for my music.

Multitracking. I used to have doubles of many pieces of gear, just so I could have that type of sound twice or doing different things. It's a totally different compositional mindset for me now, to try to think ahead a bit about what I want to do, so I can try to lay out a song structure and then go over it with the same synth but a different melody or patch.

Patchbays Such a major PITA to set up, but SO worth it once it's done! No more major reconfigurations, no trying to get around to the back of the gear... just plug and play!
ZLAL
Another vote for a patch bay. Synths are heavy, table space is limited, organization tickles my brain in the right way. Finally setting up a patch bay correctly and integrating most of my studio has made what was an impenetrable collection of gear immediate and usable.
MindMachine
^ I was just typing 'patchbay'. I still underutilize them. But I have two rack patchbays and one small floating ART patchbay that have changed things. I am still not fully functional or understanding as to how they can fully be used, but in my simple usage, they have been game changing.
tanglefuzz
Installed a patchbay last week and it really changed my workflow in an awesome way. It's so easy to switch setup now without having to get behind my gear. Love it!
Default1
Renoise to play hardware via midi. Beautiful programme. Very quick and easy to compose in.

Composing music: a new approach. Book by William Russo. The first time I was able to grapple with music theory.
widdly
Buying a set of 8 different coloured XLR cables for my mic's and DI boxes, then matching the track colours in Ableton Live to the cable colours. So much less confusion when recording the bands jams.
dopeboy_magic
I just got a yocto 2 808 clone that I’m slaving to my octatrack and despite its limitaions (no pgm change) it’s straight breathing life into my tracks and is the the funnest box I’ve ever messed with.
Michael O. wrote:

Synth-wise, ditching pc and Mac for Atari ST’s running Notator/Creator has made composing, arranging, and recording with midi-equipped instruments a breeze. Not having to deal with bloated contemporary sequencers that seemed to always end up crashing at the worst time avoids tons of frustration. Plus the timing is incomparably tighter.

Michael super intersted in these! Proceeding down the internet foxhole to learn more.

What console/converter/usb interface combinations are people using? Currently have a soundcraft 200b I’m tracking out of I really like but would like to utilize all 20 channels. Considering a rme digiface with the ferrofish 16 converter at $1500 for both.

I’d like to ditch the computer all together sometimes because the 200b is made to go to tape with group outs and all the necessary channel routing I just haven’t delved into it yet Rockin' Banana!
vromr
Practice with Ableton Push + nativeKontrol extensions should get me towards the best workflow ever. I do think it's practice this time and not some combination of being over/under/mis-equipped.
DT
mrerdat wrote:
Using VCV with Soundflower (I'm on Mac) as part of an aggregate sound driver that includes my regular i/o allows me to patch my software modular into my hardware modular and back, and lets me record it all in my DAW. Total game changer...

can u explain a bit more?
naturligfunktion
1. The first drum machine I bought was a real game changer. Use it still today and it is very much a center piece of everything I do. Starting to get a bit bored of the sounds, so Im thinking to get a sampler.

2. Ableton. Such a nice program

3. My external mixingdesk Soundcraft MTK 12.

I went away from my studio for half a year however and then, the Keystep was great.

Im thinking now to get a good external sequencer.
Multi Grooves
My mind state.

Labelling things so there was little hindrance when I was ready to go.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 [all]
Page 3 of 3