Random*Source Serge Equal Power Stereo Mixer

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

asymptote
Common Wiggler

Random*Source Serge Equal Power Stereo Mixer

Post by asymptote » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:05 pm

I was just browsing the Random*Source Euro Serge page, and came across this forthcoming module. I have no doubt that this is going to be glorious![/b]

As we all know, the search function is currently broken. I did a cursory Google search, and couldn't find any other threads devoted to this new R*S module. But if this is already being discussed, my apologies for the overlap.

And without further ado...

Random*Source
EQUAL POWER STEREO MIXER

From the R*S website:

The Stereo-Mixer is a 2 input, 2 output equal-power panning mixer designed combine the sound of the famous Serge VCAs with the most audiophile parts available today in a special edition for Eurorack - NJR Muses op-amps and THAT2180 VCA chips. The module has 2 independent input channels (with attenuators) that can be Stereo panned between the 2 outputs. Each channel's gain is controlled by a gain knob and as Gain CV input (with attenuator) which allows to go into massive overdrive with a very organic sound. There are also two AUX inputs that allow signals to be routed in at unity gain. Both panning and Gain CV inputs have been designed to handle audio rates, making the Stereo Mixer a very powerful waveshaping and droning tool.

Beware that the module is able to deliver massive gain, resulting in output levels of up to appr. +/-11V when overdriven, so make sure your other equipment (AD converters, mixers) can handle this:

1) Balanced Outputs, using „a new generation of monolithic audio differential line drivers offering improved performance over conventional crosscoupled designs“ for low noise and distortion. These outputs can be connected to balanced or unbalanced equipment (amplifiers, A/D converters...)

2) NJR Muses op-amps in the audio path.

3) Optimized value set and easier calibration / setup.

Two Aux inputs can also be used to chain mixers. The output is available at a pair of banana jacks as well as (6.35mm / 1/4") TRS jacks (phone connectors) for connecting to external amplifiers, ADCs etc.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:20 pm

Another nice module from R*S. Pricey though at 430 euros

asymptote
Common Wiggler

Post by asymptote » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:57 pm

True. R*S is not exactly known for offering inexpensive products, especially their preassembled modules. But compared to Serge format stuff it’s still not bad. Plus it’s great having authentic Serge designs available in euro.

jvt
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jvt » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Anyone have experience with this module? I'd love to hear opinions.

stickmann
Wiggling with Experience

Post by stickmann » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 pm

I have it. It is exactly what you would expect from Serge: an excellent utilitarian module with a few tricks up it's sleeve via patching.

It does your end-of-chain mixing and VCA duties well. I can't say I notice the NJR Muses op-amps or THAT2180 VCA chips compared to other mixer outs I've used but it always sounds great. It offers nice modulation possibilities at audio rate using the VC gain inputs. I like the huge gain it provides, especially when using it with other Serge modules.

I like it.

jvt
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jvt » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback, stickmann. Anyone other opinions?

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:04 am

asymptote wrote:True. R*S is not exactly known for offering inexpensive products, especially their preassembled modules. But compared to Serge format stuff it’s still not bad. Plus it’s great having authentic Serge designs available in euro.
r*s looks are pretty neat. with elby you go serge the same authentic way but save space and a lotta cash thought.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

shanebroderick
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shanebroderick » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:53 am

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience with the "Equal Power Stereo Mixer"?

I used to have an STS Animal... loved the functionality of this module and sound of the VCA's.

I noticed that this module is one of the only ones in their Serge line to not be Serge Licensed or even say Serge on the module itself and wondered why.

cloudleft
Common Wiggler

Re: Random*Source Serge Equal Power Stereo Mixer

Post by cloudleft » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:32 pm

Many other stereo mixers in euro outclass this one in terms of features, but I'm giving the thread a bump as I'm really curious about getting one anyway. Anyone using it who can explain why they went this route instead of other stereo mixers out there?

Also, does anyone know if the Aux L and R inputs are affected by the Panning and Gain controls, or do they pass straight into the L and R channels respectively?

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:22 pm

cloudleft wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:32 pm
Many other stereo mixers in euro outclass this one in terms of features, but I'm giving the thread a bump as I'm really curious about getting one anyway. Anyone using it who can explain why they went this route instead of other stereo mixers out there?

Also, does anyone know if the Aux L and R inputs are affected by the Panning and Gain controls, or do they pass straight into the L and R channels respectively?
I think most people who get the R*S stereo mixer do so because they have full R*S systems. Two things that differentiate this stereo mixer from others are balanced outputs which are nice if you’re using the stereo mixer as an output module, and equal power panning. From what I understand equal power panning is not really useful/noticeable unless you are working in quadraphonics. The Aux inputs are post-VCA, and pass straight into the L and R channels just as you say. The other thing that might be unique about the R*S stereo mixers is variable linear-exp response of the output VCAs (like Veils), but this is set via trimmers on the PCB. As an alternative you might consider something like Toppobrillo Stereomix, and if you want balanced outputs you can always get a proper output module like Joranalogue Transmit 2.
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:15 pm

I have a large R*S Serge Euro system within my rig but I can't quite make my mind up about this one.
As mentioned earlier, it's notably missing the word 'Serge' so presumably it's not a Serge circuit.
In addition I'm sure I read somewhere, but now can't fine where, that some people were very disappointed in the sound when the gain kicks in above unity.
I'd also be interested in any further comments from users of this module.

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:45 pm

Yes I can confirm that it is not a Serge design.
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

cloudleft
Common Wiggler

Post by cloudleft » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:29 am

oldenjon wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:22 pm
The Aux inputs are post-VCA, and pass straight into the L and R channels just as you say.
Thanks Jon, does this mean that the Aux channels are unaffected by the gain control and gain CV?

I'd be curious about that thread where folks talked about the sound quality above unity. I seem to remember reading that the distortion threshold can be set with trimmers as well.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 am

cloudleft wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:29 am

I'd be curious about that thread where folks talked about the sound quality above unity. I seem to remember reading that the distortion threshold can be set with trimmers as well.
I found it. It's not a specific thread about the eurorack version but it is R*S.
https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&t=221549

Return to “Eurorack Modules”