MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Good news...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author Good news...
cptnal
...for electronic music in general and underrated women in particular:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/20/delia-derbyshire-doctor- who-theme-co-creator-posthumous-phd

SlayerBadger!
diode_destroyer
Cool!
brandnewmath
It's about time.
bertoiafreak19
I'd say this is hard to believe that this was the case but I know better but it's still hard to believe. I'm glad she's finally getting the recognition.
mousegarden
That's great, it doesn't add anything more to her amazing achievements, but it's a good thing.
Looking back on those times, things were "very" bad for women, and that's not a long time ago really, but it seems like centuries ago regarding attitudes.
But have things changed that much in the audio/music industry? Studios, live sound, music production, music forums/press are still very much male dominated areas.
rec.Koner
but how about making available her archives very frustrating
the only way to listen to them is take a trip to some university in Great Britain and ask a librarian
mousegarden
rec.Koner wrote:
but how about making available her archives very frustrating
the only way to listen to them is take a trip to some university in Great Britain and ask a librarian

"Great" Britain? When was that then?

hihi hihi
ranix
back when France was keeping them honest
Trilo
Burn
Mort Rouge
small brittain? hmmm.....

BUt more importantly: Congratulations, Delia! Thanks for all your inspiration.
luchog
mousegarden wrote:

"Great" Britain? When was that then?

hihi hihi

Little Britain.

Parnelli
If for no other reason then Britain is Great for keeping the English Language safe from the American Butchers of Verbiage!

I know, I used to get corrected all of the time by a nice British gal who often told me that I "Don't even speak proper English"!

thumbs up
Koekepan
mousegarden wrote:
But have things changed that much in the audio/music industry? Studios, live sound, music production, music forums/press are still very much male dominated areas.

Yes and no.

Economic studies have been done to try to unravel reasons for people's life choices. Most of those were directed at things like why there are more men in engineering, and a large part of it was, in the US and western Europe, that women felt more at liberty to pursue courses of study that had little chance of a remunerative career attached, while men felt more driven to select training that would allow them to provide for a family, or at least show off with shiny toys and bling. One of the particularly troublesome aspects of this is that in the USA there has been a hollowing out of large animal veterinarians to the point that many farmers pretty much can't get their animals seen to. This has had several downsides (as you can well imagine) but one of the weirdest aspects is that agricultural veterinarians are likely to be female - they pursue it as a career of passion, not of remuneration. If you want to make money as a vet in the USA, you go for pets because people will pour money into their pets where a farmer will simply put a bullet through an animal's brain and bury it, if treatment would be uneconomically expensive. Given the massive expense of becoming a veterinarian, this isn't a very surprising outcome.

Bringing this around to women in the arts in general, women completely dominate BA studies, but as active creative artists the finding was that women feel less motivation, on balance (obviously there are exceptions) than men do to get their voice heard, to stand out. When they looked at women attending music courses, they found that their interests tended to the Joni Mitchell/Suzanne Vega sort of singer/songwriter thing, personal and confessional sort of stuff. On the other hand, it was (usually, typically) men who wanted to do either huge orchestral things, or ultrapowered EDM spectacles.

The last word has yet to be written, but the basic idea that's forming in the minds of behavioural economists is that men who go into the arts tend to (on balance, this is obviously averaged) seek larger audiences and drive their careers (inasmuch as possible, of course) whereas while you get a few superstar women, they're fewer by inclination, as opposed to ability.

Now on the other side of the coin, the music business as a business is obviously male-dominated, and has been historically, but that's not the same as the inclinations of artists before they enter the field for a career.

Speaking strictly for myself, I try to encourage women who have an interest in a musical career, because I find that a richer balance can only improve the conversation that creates the field of art, but other than that I have no axe to grind. Economics just interests me.

... and now you know exactly how boring I am ...
cptnal
Not boring at all (to me anyway, but maybe I am too...). I'm glad that you pointed out these observations were necessarily general. I dare say some women on the forum (I know you're out there) have their own specific experiences.

I was going to touch on politics for a moment, but let's just hope that progress continues in the right direction.
kcd06
I was told (by a French person) that the reason the sun never set on the British Empire was due to god not trusting the British in the dark.

Also, its Great Britain because who could say Great Cornwall with a straight face?
mousegarden
kcd06 wrote:
I was told (by a French person) that the reason the sun never set on the British Empire was due to god not trusting the British in the dark.

Also, its Great Britain because who could say Great Cornwall with a straight face?

I'm going to stand for the Kent Independent Modular Party at the next local election, it'll have one member.....me.

VOTE KIMP!
sduck
cptnal wrote:

I was going to touch on politics for a moment,

Please, let's not.
calaveras
mousegarden wrote:
That's great, it doesn't add anything more to her amazing achievements, but it's a good thing.
Looking back on those times, things were "very" bad for women, and that's not a long time ago really, but it seems like centuries ago regarding attitudes.

It varies quite a bit with industry. But I've seen a lot more women coming up in the engineering ranks the last 10 years or so.
More audio engineers, video engineers, IT engineers and so forth.

The last broadcast facility I worked in had a number of women in technical positions, but no actual broadcast engineers. (they tried one for a while but I think she bounced for a better paying job)
However me and my buddy on the video engineering side made sure the person who replaced me there was one of the female candidates.
Yeah we did our own affirmative action move with nobody at HR or corporate knowing about it.
I'm weary of working in locker-room environments. So whenever I can I give women a hand moving up. Not just any female person of course, they still have to be technically competent as engineers!
mousegarden
I'm wondering how many women enrol on courses like the Tonnmiester, or similar, if it's low, is that because there aern't many women interested, or, if they aern't interested is that because they fear resistance within the industry?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1