MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mother 32 has been great to me, what's next?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Mother 32 has been great to me, what's next?
Chark
I don't think I've quite got the cash to pull the trigger on a full case set up just yet, but I was eyeing the Lifeforms SV-1 Blackbox to give me the extra oscillators and modulation options that the M32 so desperately needs.

However I've been hungry for the wacky modular noises I hear pumping out of that Make Noise 0 Coast and have often thought of adding that to my setup as well. I was a little disheartened to find that you can't run any external oscillators through the overtone circuit, which was one of my major draws to it. I make distorted bass type sounds and have had difficulty keeping the weight in my patches on the m32 when playing notes above E1, so the sub oscillators of the SV-1 really appeal to me as well.

My main concern is that the SV-1 is just gonna be too similar to the Mother 32 despite the extra functionality it will bring to the table. Might be overthinking everything, and just looking for some clarity T_T
Parnelli
I started with two Mother 32's and still love them. I've heard that the OCoast brings a lot to the table and will give a different sound palette to mix it up with the Mother.

On the other hand you might want to look at dipping your toe into modular if that's the direction you are headed anyway. A case and power supply will be the greatest expense to begin with, but it doesn't have to be anything fancy, there's rack ear kits that are reasonable. I don't have any experience with them, but the Tip Top Happy Ending kit is in this category.

Once you have a way to power modules then you can pick and choose which direction you want to head; there's a lot of folks here with far more experience than me starting out like this who could better tell you what plays well with the Mothers, as I kind of bit the bullet early and purchased a system next.

Good luck!
msboude
I have 2x m32's. I got a doepfer a-110-1 to add a sine and triangle to the mix. Feeding it back into the ext. in on the mother 32.
Chark
msboude wrote:
I have 2x m32's. I got a doepfer a-110-1 to add a sine and triangle to the mix. Feeding it back into the ext. in on the mother 32.

That sounds like a vote of confidence for the Lifeforms SV-1. More of the same means more complex sounds that I'm already playing with now the way I see it. It is really shiny... eek!
msboude
yeah, I debated getting a third mother but realized I would only be adding the same wave shapes. So I picked up a 84hp doepfer lc3 case and the a-110-1 and will go from there. diversity is key.
arthurdent
I started with 2 Mother-32's, then added a 0-Coast, then built an inexpensive 6U x 84HP box out of cardboard (from a YouTube video) with a uZeus power system, added a Maths, Batumi + Samara, A-156 quantizer, A-149-1 Random, Intellijel Quad VCA, the Quadra+Expander, A-138 mixer, and a couple of mults. This was all over the course of about 8 months.
Chark
arthurdent wrote:
I started with 2 Mother-32's, then added a 0-Coast, then built an inexpensive 6U x 84HP box out of cardboard (from a YouTube video) with a uZeus power system, added a Maths, Batumi + Samara, A-156 quantizer, A-149-1 Random, Intellijel Quad VCA, the Quadra+Expander, A-138 mixer, and a couple of mults. This was all over the course of about 8 months.

Ow my wallet D:

I'm gonna get Ableton 9 Suite with their free upgrade to 10 or I would sink all of my money into the modular realm. This is more of a have my cake and eat it too kind of measure. I would really like to nab a starter system, but have to split the funds. :(
arthurdent
Chark wrote:
arthurdent wrote:

Ow my wallet D:

I'm gonna get Ableton 9 Suite with their free upgrade to 10 or I would sink all of my money into the modular realm. This is more of a have my cake and eat it too kind of measure. I would really like to nab a starter system, but have to split the funds. :(

Oh yeah, I also have Ableton 9 Standard, along with Arturia's Modular V on my desktop. And I have the Model 15 and the Animoog apps on my iPad.
Chark
arthurdent wrote:
Chark wrote:
arthurdent wrote:

Ow my wallet D:

Oh yeah, I also have Ableton 9 Standard, along with Arturia's Modular V on my desktop. And I have the Model 15 and the Animoog apps on my iPad.

So with all of that being said, what do you think would be the most gnarly bassy addition to my Mother 32 in the $600 range?
uniquepersonno2
Chark wrote:

So with all of that being said, what do you think would be the most gnarly bassy addition to my Mother 32 in the $600 range?

Just to jump in here quickly: My first module was the SV-1, and it didn't last long in my system. I'm not a huge fan of prepatched stuff, but even so, the SV-1 felt kinda basic. There's cool stuff you can do with it, but I'd be much more inclined to get something like the Mutable Instruments Elements. It's completely different from the Mother-32s and you'll unlock a much broader sonic range imo than with an sv-1. Could get that and a Doepfer DIY #1 for just a little more than an SV-1 and you'd have space to expand, if you're okay with making the case.
starthief
Seems to me that a Double Helix and a Maths would beat up SV-1 and take its lunch money. hyper
arthurdent
Chark wrote:
arthurdent wrote:
Chark wrote:
arthurdent wrote:

Ow my wallet D:

IMO, to get more out of the Mother-32 itself I'd recommend modulation - the Maths, the Batumi, or the Quadra or a similar multiple function generator. The single LFO on the Mother doesn't allow you to get too creative, I think you need to provide different modulations for the various functions.

Parnelli's suggestion to add the 0-Coast has some merit as it adds a different kind of voice to the Mother instead of modifying the Mother's voice; I've had a lot of fun with that approach. Use the random on the 0-Coast to drive it's oscillator, use the sequencer and the random Assignable Out on the Mother for it's tone, you can get some pretty wild play between the two. The 0-Coast can do a quasi-Krell patch; I've set that up driving the 0-Coast and both of my Mothers at the same time with each one set slightly different in tone. Or set up a sequence on the Mother with some ratcheting, do a quasi-drum thing with the Mother and let the 0-Coast run the melody.
Final_Instrument
I had tons of fun with my Mother 32 / minibrute combo. Still do actually.
Chark
To everyone talking about the entry rack options, I know and I would desperately love to go down that route, but it's just not in the wallet this season. The gf would slaughter me in glares, and I'm already spending a large amount on the DAW. I'll probably do an HEK + DixieII+ + Maths before 2018 is over, but I'll have to put it off for now.

What parnelli & arthurdent are saying makes a lot of sense to me. If I'm going to continue to add semi modulars, might as well get something that makes a very different noise from what I own currently. As such I pulled the trigger on the 0 coast and will be buying Ableton tomorrow! Very excited and happy with the purchase!

Thanks everyone for their $.02, it really helped set my mind straight from ordering more of the same thing I had in the name of oscillator beef. smile
AW198
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/561390

My setup: 2x M32s, Maths, Veils, MiniMod OSC and MiniMod DH-ADSR.
Built for monosynth purposes, but turns out it does far, far more than that. This setup will keep me happy for a long time!
stringtapper
3 x Mother-32s here and I've just added Braids to my setup. Next up is a Maths.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1